British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

...we had three speedway supporters in Stratton.!!!!!

How can football compete for supporters against mass  interest like this?

3 hours ago, gustix said:

How can football compete for supporters against mass  interest like this?

Swindon Town now only averages 6/7000  i have been when there were  32,000 fans there.It just shows you how society has changed more things to do and it puts into perspective what a hard job Speedway has to keep going.A much  closer relationship with the Promoters / Customer would help but no real signs of that happening anytime soon.

Edited by Sidney the robin

18 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Swindon Town now only averages 6/7000  i have been when there were  32,000 fans there.It just shows you how society has changed more things to do and it puts into perspective what a hard job Speedway has to keep going.A much  closer relationship with the Promoters / Customer would help but no real signs of that happening anytime soon.

It’s less to do with Society and more to do with which division they’re in and how well they’re doing.

7,000 crowds in the bottom division is very good.

If they were top 6 in the Championship they’d be at 15,000 and top six in the Premiership near capacity.

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

It’s less to do with Society and more to do with which division they’re in and how well they’re doing.

If they were top 6 in the Championship they’d be at 15,000 and top six in the Premiership near capacity.

I think you are dreaming 8/11 000 for Champs,  capacity sometimes for Prem.The thing is DC to go and watch Division 2 now is not cheap both my boys went to see Spurs v Arsenal two seasons ago for 43 pound what is Swindon charging for a category  A game 25 quid.?? 

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I think you are dreaming 8/11 000 for Champs,  capacity sometimes for Prem.The thing is DC to go and watch Division 2 now is not cheap both my boys went to see Spurs v Arsenal two seasons ago for 43 pound what is Swindon charging for a category  A game 25 quid.?? 

Average attendance in the Championship is 20,181.

Are you saying Swindon’s would be half the average even if we were top six!

Apparently our disastrous 1993-94 Premier League season saw an average home crowd of 15,274, so top 6 could well have seen us near capacity (which is a mere 15,728 now, but could be 25,000).

Other than Bournemouth on 10,510, every other club in the PL averages more than 20,000 at home.

Edited by DC2

10 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

For a last resort Shocker Grange Drive shops always stock it if you are stuck.Got mine a day late last week because of the Bank Holiday.otherwise  it is always there on a Thursday.Three people including me order the Star from that shop never realised we had three speedway supporters in Stratton.!!!!!

Will bare that in mind mate cheers....bit different to our heyday when Stratton was a stronghold area for the sport!

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Average attendance in the Championship is 20,181.

Are you saying Swindon’s would be half the average even if we were top six!

Apparently our disastrous 1993-94 Premier League season saw an average home crowd of 15,274, so top 6 could well have seen us near capacity (which is a mere 15,728 now, but could be 25,000).

Other than Bournemouth on 10,510, every other club in the PL averages more than 20,000 at home.

That says it all if we can only average 15, 274 in the Fergie era with the romance of being in the Premiership can't see us getting that even in the top 6 in the Champs.Times have changed maybe if you can get the Indian population in Manchester Rd to convert to being Town fans that might bridge the gap. !!!!!

Edited by Sidney the robin

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

That says it all if we can only average 15, 274 in the Fergie era with the romance of being in the Premiership can't see us getting that even in the top 6 in the Champs.Times have changed maybe if you can get the Indian population in Manchester Rd to convert to being Town fans that might bridge the gap. !!!!!

Huddersfield population 150,000, average attendances in PL last year 23,000.

Swindon 220,000; would 25,000 be unrealistic?

12 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Huddersfield population 150,000, average attendances in PL last year 23,000.

Swindon 220,000; would 25,000 be unrealistic?

Very      cant see where the other 18,000  is coming from on a regular basis.Even in the Prem season i had to pick and choose matches could not afford  both Football and speedway.I think people do that alot today pick and choose matches .For me if you are getting between 11/14 000 EVERY week at the Town you will be doing well is it all about winning ??? promoted  this year yet the average gate is not great.

7 hours ago, DC2 said:

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Very      cant see where the other 18,000  is coming from on a regular basis.Even in the Prem season i had to pick and choose matches could not afford  both Football and speedway.I think people do that alot today pick and choose matches .For me if you are getting between 11/14 000 EVERY week at the Town you will be doing well is it all about winning ??? promoted  this year yet the average gate is not great.

Going back to the1950's probably there in only half as many support football teams  or even play at an amateur level today. Perhaps it is more likely a lot higher than this

Edited by mickthemuppet

17 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AND the 23rd?

Got mine at 9am yesterday Philip it is always on time apart from Bank holidays ( day later) another great read enjoyed the Denzil Kent piece.

I have noticed that since the change to the clear envelope that my copy has  been late, sometimes up to 7 days, here in Kent. It's strange that the odd time I have phoned Dave at subscriptions that the one he posts out, in the brown envelope, arrives the next day. Maybe during this virus situation, and the short staffed postal service in some parts of the country, the sorting offices can see that it is a magazine, as opposed to maybe a more important document, and decide to not overload their postmans rounds and hold on to them until a traditionally quieter day.

The Speedway Star has been outstanding during Covid and everyone involved editorially deserves a massive pat on the back.

The Distribution in these challenging times has been excellent.

I have though noticed a trend in the articles each week involving current weekly Club updates. An increasing number end with a plug for a Curtis Sport magazine/programme. That's fine if the article would have been written anyway but it's becoming a bit too obvious that some Clubs (some dormant) are getting column inches for nothing much more than an advert.

Would it not be better for that Organisation to pay for and take out an advert, supporting the Star financially, rather than it's writers to piggy back Club news with what is basically an advert?

6 Clubs have this type of advert in 5 pages dedicated to "news items" this week between pages 10 and 14. Further plugs on page 39 and 41.

Major advertising income opportunity being missed here?