British Speedway Forum

33 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

My star also used to arrive regularly on Thursday but over the last few months it’s also been the occasional Fridays, like you mine hasn’t arrived yet and even taking into account the BH last Monday it’s a pretty poor effort by Royal Mail to deliver something that’s printed just 16 miles from my HA with a first class stamp.

I am assuming it was posted on Tuesday.

THE magazine is printed on a Tuesday evening and collected by Royal Mail in the early hours of Wednesday from printers. As previously stated, having paid for first class mail next day delivery should be the norm but right now it is very erratic. The only consolation is that so much of the current content is not dated and, hopefully, provides entertaining reading whenever you get it. 

• Like 4

Thursday morning is always my delivery day for the star, understandably since the lock down its been up in the air, mainly now i receive it on a Monday, strangely enough though the other week it didnt arrive so on the Tuesday i e mailed the star and first post Wednesday it arrived, so dont know why the mail have a problem with delivery at other times. Worth the wait though they have done a great job producing the mag considering there is no racing, always some good articles to read.

Edited by bellevueace

42 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE magazine is printed on a Tuesday evening and collected by Royal Mail in the early hours of Wednesday from printers. As previously stated, having paid for first class mail next day delivery should be the norm but right now it is very erratic. The only consolation is that so much of the current content is not dated and, hopefully, provides entertaining reading whenever you get it. 

Royal Mail appear to be all over the place at the moment. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Thanks for that, it explains why sometimes it’s not arriving on Thursdays unless RM are up to speed.

Currently a very good read with some interesting articles of late, just an idea what about a season review of U.K. comps starting with 1965.

My brother still works for them and says it's a shambles.  I had 19 years as a postie glad I'm not there now

2 minutes ago, Watkins said:

Post office a useless organisation 

DO you mean RoyalMail? actually think that is a bit harsh. The concept of delivering mail from anywhere in Britain to any address in Britain the next day is both daunting and admirable and I suspect that pre-pandemic more often than not they did just that. We have added the names of our own staff to the subs list to monitor when their copy arrives and from my own point of view in Surrey nine times out of ten it is here on a Thursday.

I think it is easy to have a pot shot at Royal Mail.

I am a postman and these are very difficult times for all key workers although nowhere near anybody who works for the NHS.

A combination of sickness, those self isolating, new working practices and a vast increase in parcels due to online purchasing is bound to be challenging.

I can only speak of our office where great efforts are being made on a daily basis but I suspect most posties are going the extra mile so to speak, only too pleased to do their bit to help keep the economy going to some extent.

Incidentally, my Speedway Star stills turns up most Thursdays, and incidentally Royal Mail has just met their target of First Class Mail arriving the next day.

So, while Speedway Star arriving late is not right, I think there is a bigger picture here that is more important.

Additionally, there is also a Digital Subscription that may be more suitable.

• Like 2

Get mine every week on a Thursday from local paper shop it’s always there can’t fault them. 

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Get mine every week on a Thursday from local paper shop it’s always there can’t fault them. 

GOOD man ...

Now  Saturday and still not arrived

21 hours ago, spiegal said:

I can assure you that I run this company in a totally professional  way. ALL..repeat ALL clients money is held in a separate account...and we were lucky..not clever... in that the monies paid to airlines in advance are in the process of refund...same with 2 meeting stadium tickets....same with 2 hotels. Had this dreadful shutdown happened a month later, it doesn't bear thinking about. We have contacted all affected clients, and once extra meetings are OFFICIALLY cancelled, they too will be looked after. We have offered financial structured refund policy, and 80% of our superb clients money is deposit only...and we are grateful that everyone has been supporting us whilst we re-structure and plan.  Nobody will suffer financially..except (sadly) yours truly. However I do take exception to your remarks about (a fine company) Shearings, and I am advised that your statement is libellous...We are NOT taking bookings on anything..and in fact have already cancelled everything up to September.and should this quarantine continue, then I will cancel any affected tour..I will nOt risk my clients money, well being or health..Should you wish to speak with me then I would be happy to put you correct. As for Speedway Star the management, staff and product is an organisation Speedway should be proud of. The product of late has been amazing given these troubled times...and i am both proud and grateful to be associated with them.   

Well said James. We've crossed swords occasionally but I sympathise with you totally in this situation. Clearly you are doing your best. 

Your business and Sharings are rather different. You don't have a large fleet of coaches and a chain of hotels to run. I do hope that this will carry out through, as I do with all businesses involved with speedway at this awful time. Real people are getting hurt, apart from the tragic loss of life. 

• Like 1

mine used to arrive thursday without fail, and our post is very hit and miss in the village

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Well said James. We've crossed swords occasionally but I sympathise with you totally in this situation. Clearly you are doing your best. 

Your business and Sharings are rather different. You don't have a large fleet of coaches and a chain of hotels to run. I do hope that this will carry out through, as I do with all businesses involved with speedway at this awful time. Real people are getting hurt, apart from the tragic loss of life. 

many thanks Rob...Truly appreciate your kindness...I hope that people support the Speedway Star...as like me Phil has spent his whole life involved (always with entirely good intenions) in Speedway. ..to be honest these days nobody makes even a decent living from their efforts..but positivity and trust  is everything at the moment...thanks again..

Enjoyed reading the article on one of my all time favourite riders, David Biles, in this weeks Speedway Star, but there is two mistakes on the 1986 Poole Wildcats photo on page 40.

The rider on the far right next to Martin Yeates is not Peter Read...I think that is Gordon Humphries and the rider between David Biles and Marcus Bisson is not David Gibbs it is Wayne Barrett:t: