British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DO you mean RoyalMail? actually think that is a bit harsh. The concept of delivering mail from anywhere in Britain to any address in Britain the next day is both daunting and admirable and I suspect that pre-pandemic more often than not they did just that. We have added the names of our own staff to the subs list to monitor when their copy arrives and from my own point of view in Surrey nine times out of ten it is here on a Thursday.

I live in next-door county (Sussex) and often since pandemic it has been Monday or even Tuesday. Better this week: Friday. You are in the hands of Royal Mail, of course, and – as you said – most of the current content doesn't date. To be honest, I haven't completely finished the previous weeks issue. Waiting for a rainy day -- but we don't have them because speedway is not running.

Speedway Star has been excellent in the pandemic.

Distribution to Shops and via Royal Mail is NOT fault of Speedway Star.

Distribution staff are allowed to be ill an to self isolate too you know!

No mail on a Saturday and Wednesday in many areas was announced in April, obviously that affects distribution day and also Saturday delivery in many places so Monday / Tuesday is effectively Thursday/Friday in terms of "working days".

Mine arrives at newsagents mostly Thursday, occasionally Friday and a few times Saturday.

Have total 100% admiration for James Easter and all he does has done for Speedway and in Business.

My only gripe, mentioned before is the continual and it seems preferential treatment to Clubs served by Curtis Sport and it's bloggers. 

In the midst of some outstanding journalism by Oakes / Burbidge / Skeels / Lanning    , the weak link are the few paragraphs of "current news content" that invariably are a free advert for the latest Curtis Sport publication, which to coin a phrase "once you've read one, you've read em all". Very formulaic.

Good to see some of the old regulars and regional reporters back too, like Brian Burford; Andrew Edwards; Tony McDonald; Phil Chard and Brian Owen in recent weeks. Superior local journalists who used to serve the Star well before the Curtis blogger take over.  

• Like 2

Distribution is where the digital subscription wins. I get my copy of the Star at midnight every Wednesday without fail. I have a decent-sized pc screen so it's actually easier for these ageing eyes to read it than the print version. Each to their own of course but there are ways to avoid the Royal Mail's problems. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

I have received mine from the newsagents regular as clockwork every Thursday ever since I started with them.

There was a newsagents in my town until 2 years ago, when the last one closed down. I received my papers from them for 40 years. I have had the Speedway Star for all of those 40 years. Most of the time the Star came on a Thursday, sometimes it would come on a Friday, very rarely it would come on a Saturday and once in awhile the following Monday. Only once or twice it didn't come at all in all those years.

I now receive the  Star from the newsagents I have used for the last 2 years and they have delivered the magazine every Thursday without fail, despite the pandemic. No doubt that will be tempting fate.

45 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

I have received mine from the newsagents regular as clockwork every Thursday ever since I started with them.

There was a newsagents in my town until 2 years ago, when the last one closed down. I received my papers from them for 40 years. I have had the Speedway Star for all of those 40 years. Most of the time the Star came on a Thursday, sometimes it would come on a Friday, very rarely it would come on a Saturday and once in awhile the following Monday. Only once or twice it didn't come at all in all those years.

I now receive the  Star from the newsagents I have used for the last 2 years and they have delivered the magazine every Thursday without fail, despite the pandemic. No doubt that will be tempting fate.

NICE to hear and thanks for your support

Many years ago I used to get the Star at one of the local tracks most weeks, then during the winter months it was obtainable from my nearest newsagent.  I could be wrong, but I have a vague recollection that the Speedway Star and Soccer Star magazines were readily available 'off the shelf'.  However, due to the increased popularity of the sport in my area at the time, I placed an order with the newsagent from October 1965 to ensure I received a weekly copy during the winter.  A couple of years later I decided to take out a postal subscription, but then reverted to ordering from a newsagent from 1978 onwards after moving house.  I changed back to postal delivery some 10 years or so later.  I would guess that the number of times I have received my copy late from whatever source could be counted on the fingers of two hands.  It has never failed to arrive and I don't think it has ever been more than 2 days late.  I am very fortunate that the postal service here is fully functioning even now, with Saturday deliveries of post and parcels still taking place.  The only thing that frustrates me is that I somehow mislaid three copies from 1952, two copies from 1953 and one from 1955.  I only discovered this when I finally got round to putting the earlier years in binders.  I echo the sentiments of others when saying well done to everyone involved for continuing to produce an excellent magazine during the present situation.  I am sure that Eric (Linden) would approve.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

Many years ago I used to get the Star at one of the local tracks most weeks, then during the winter months it was obtainable from my nearest newsagent.  I could be wrong, but I have a vague recollection that the Speedway Star and Soccer Star magazines were readily available 'off the shelf'.  However, due to the increased popularity of the sport in my area at the time, I placed an order with the newsagent from October 1965 to ensure I received a weekly copy during the winter.  A couple of years later I decided to take out a postal subscription, but then reverted to ordering from a newsagent from 1978 onwards after moving house.  I changed back to postal delivery some 10 years or so later.  I would guess that the number of times I have received my copy late from whatever source could be counted on the fingers of two hands.  It has never failed to arrive and I don't think it has ever been more than 2 days late.  I am very fortunate that the postal service here is fully functioning even now, with Saturday deliveries of post and parcels still taking place.  The only thing that frustrates me is that I somehow mislaid three copies from 1952, two copies from 1953 and one from 1955.  I only discovered this when I finally got round to putting the earlier years in binders.  I echo the sentiments of others when saying well done to everyone involved for continuing to produce an excellent magazine during the present situation.  I am sure that Eric (Linden) would approve.

IF we had gold watches to hand out for loyalty you would get one. Sadly, we don't but we do appreciate your continued purchasing of Speedway Star.

• Like 1

Mine arrived today and has on 3 Thursdays in the last 4. terrific features to read and club news pages with items I've not seen anywhere else. Great effort by all concerned IMO.

Why does speedway star, keep on insisting that the Olympic stadium is on the old hackney stadium site, its NOT,

In this weeks speedway star, the piece about Vic Harding, it says, " The old waterden road became the Olympic stadium",

The olympic stadium is NOT in waterden road, part of the old hackney stadium site is now the BT media centre/studios,

Get your facts right, have a look on goggle map, 

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BomberHammer said:

Why does speedway star, keep on insisting that the Olympic stadium is on the old hackney stadium site, its NOT,

In this weeks speedway star, the piece about Vic Harding, it says, " The old waterden road became the Olympic stadium",

The olympic stadium is NOT in waterden road, part of the old hackney stadium site is now the BT media centre/studios,

Thanks

Sadly once repeated errors can quickly grow into myths. The stadium is well to the south of the old track and as BomberHammer says the BT Sport studios are on the site of the track. The studios were formerly the Olympic Media Centre.

We have a similar if lesser problem with Rayleigh. The Sainsbury's often quoted as being over the site of the track lies well to the west, by the stadium approach road and car park. The actual stadium site is covered by the industrial estate to the east. I occasionally use a shop there and I'd say it sits between the entrance and main stand, on the fourth bend.....but then it's been 47 years....

3 hours ago, BomberHammer said:

Thanks

Yes. True to say that the Olympic Park is on the old Hackney site though. Could be wrong, but hasn't the road itself also been slightly rerouted to add to the confusion of exactly where the speedway stadium was?

ps. agree with a lot of the above. Star doing a great job - as ever - in particularly trying times.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BomberHammer said:

Because it's lazy journalism harking back to the era when it was more difficult to check such claims.

Even a cursory understanding of the geography of the area would reveal that the Olympic Stadium can't be on the site of the Hackney or London Stadium. 

12 hours ago, BomberHammer said:

Thanks

I had a look on goggle map and all it did was show me where I could find some safety glasses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another excellent publication this week...

So sad to see the photo of Stoke's demolished stadium...

Another one bites the dust (literally)...

• Like 2