British Speedway Forum

Mine arrived yesterday. Congratulations again to the entire Speedway Star team on yet another brilliant effort. Loving the new features which are a great read and some strong news lines on the British clubs. Keep up the good work everyone at Speedway Star, long may it survive, it is a national sporting treasure, get behind it! 

Edited by Piccolo
  • Like 4

Mine has been on time for the past three weeks now so hopefully that continues, have to echo Piccolo,s statement the Speedway Star team have done a terrific job.

The shock of seeing the headline in the evening news and reading the report is as fresh in my mind today as then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

The shock of seeing the headline in the evening news and reading the report is as fresh in my mind today as then.

Terrible shock. Totally stunned when I found out. As a Lynn fan at the time, it hit hard because of the connections with some of the dead and injured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Terrible shock. Totally stunned when I found out. As a Lynn fan at the time, it hit hard because of the connections with some of the dead and injured.

I read recently that Terry Betts may well have been in that party but an injury picked up at West Ham whilst representing Great Britain meant him withdrawing from the trip.

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I read recently that Terry Betts may well have been in that party but an injury picked up at West Ham whilst representing Great Britain meant him withdrawing from the trip.

I didn't know that but it would be no surprise. Terry and Colin Pratt were very close and lived fairly near each other, I believe, near Harlow.

• Like 1

For some older fans, this issue of the Speedway Star may be quite 'difficult'. No criticism of the Star for doing it. They will, I am sure, do a very good job and in a sensitive way.

However, it will bring back some pretty sad memories.

Having said that, I am glad it has been well 'trailed' by the Star so I can prepare myself. 

another great read today  good to see ex comets john and craig doing well,daft thing to say but the paper felt different today  ,or could be my wet hands as i soak in the bath whilst reading my star,  hope it dont put people off lol

12 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

another great read today  good to see ex comets john and craig doing well,daft thing to say but the paper felt different today  ,or could be my wet hands as i soak in the bath whilst reading my star,  hope it dont put people off lol

PAPER is different. We actually didn't expect it this week. Obviously the past four months have had a devastating effect on sales of SS through newsagents, supermarkets, etc. And savings had to be made on top of furloughing some production staff. Our printers offered us a slightly thinner and cheaper paper that would also help with postage and freight charges. We were assured that it would not have a detrimental effect on the appearance of the content (pictures, etc) and I don't think it does. We plan to review the situation again later in the year when, hopefully, there will have been a pic k up in retail sales with people more able to get out and about to shops, etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PAPER is different. We actually didn't expect it this week. Obviously the past four months have had a devastating effect on sales of SS through newsagents, supermarkets, etc. And savings had to be made on top of furloughing some production staff. Our printers offered us a slightly thinner and cheaper paper that would also help with postage and freight charges. We were assured that it would not have a detrimental effect on the appearance of the content (pictures, etc) and I don't think it does. We plan to review the situation again later in the year when, hopefully, there will have been a pic k up in retail sales with people more able to get out and about to shops, etc. 

Sensible move. Content is king and although I have only had time for quick flick, it looks as good as ever. 

Pity you have lost all the shop sales -- those folk don't know what they have missed this last four months

25 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Sensible move. Content is king and although I have only had time for quick flick, it looks as good as ever. 

Pity you have lost all the shop sales -- those folk don't know what they have missed this last four months

THANKS 

14 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THANKS 

A slightly thinner paper doesn't worry me. I knew it was different when mine came through the post this morning but if it means a slightly thinner paper cuts costs and helps the magazine pull through this crisis I'm all for it. Another great issue today, the features are brilliant and keeping good news stories from around the clubs is an amazing job! Well done to all involved with a national treasure.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

It wasnt a complaint just an observation have been getting my "comic" since 1970 2 wives 4 kids and 12 grandkids later its still a buzz to read it and they all know not to through any out :D