British Speedway Forum

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 1:48 PM, Richard Weston said:

I didn't know that but it would be no surprise. Terry and Colin Pratt were very close and lived fairly near each other, I believe, near Harlow.

You read it in Backtrack issue 98.

• Like 2

I totally understand the need to cut costs. The thinner paper however does cause a more crumpled magazine. Would it be possible from a production point of view, to have the wrap around cover thicker than the inside pages?

16 hours ago, Trevor said:

I totally understand the need to cut costs. The thinner paper however does cause a more crumpled magazine. Would it be possible from a production point of view, to have the wrap around cover thicker than the inside pages?

SADLY no ... the magazine is printed in two sections .... 32 and 16.As previously stated, if and hopefully when sales reach a certain level we will re-examine.

Pinegen's revenue from retail sales of SS in April were the lowest on record and have only marginally improved since. 

Once again, our sincere thanks to everyone who has continue to purchase SS through these extremely difficult times.

• Like 4

I urge people to rally and keep buying the Speedway Star it is an institution and if we lose it would be sadly missed.

I remember a chap at Rye House, I think called Arthur bellowing "are you reading Speedway Mail" well nobody does now.

On a practical level the history articles and brilliant.

Remember you never knew what you had till its gone ...…. Rayleigh, Rye House 1 and Rye House 2.

• Like 2

Got permanent reservation. Will still do so despite Mr Risings fanatical support for Brexit

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

I remember a chap at Rye House, I think called Arthur bellowing "are you reading Speedway Mail" well nobody does now.

Yes Arthur it was ... I used to buy my Star from him every week at Hackney .. a real character, he would walk around the track in a white coat with armfuls of Stars and Mails ... must have been a nice little earner in those days 

10 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Yes Arthur it was ... I used to buy my Star from him every week at Hackney .. a real character, he would walk around the track in a white coat with armfuls of Stars and Mails ... must have been a nice little earner in those days 

We had "Kojak" at Oxford who used to wind up the away fans when selling "The Star" & "Mail".

I seem to remember in the early days of the Mail there being two separate sellers at Hackney, and both would be extolling you to buy either the Star or the Mail as you queued to get out at the end of the meeting.

"Get your this week's Star" would be followed by "Get your Mail here".

Then a wag in the crowd would shout out

"Get (or was it Got?!) your Female Here!"

Happy days.

• Like 2

EDDIE Toogood - who was at one time Briggo's mechanic - sold SS at Wimbledon and Eastbourne as well as Hackney. A great character and a lovely man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

EDDIE Toogood - who was at one time Briggo's mechanic - sold SS at Wimbledon and Eastbourne as well as Hackney. A great character and a lovely man. 

A top man was Eddie, done the track shop at Ipswich as well for a while 

On 7/9/2020 at 7:11 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

I WENT two weeks not getting mine through the mail until Monday ... this week's arrived this morning!

The Royal Mail postal delivery has been all over the place during the COVID crisis with my star being delivered any day from Thursday to Saturday and rarely two weeks the same, bearing in mind I live 24 miles from where it’s printed I think 3 days for RM to deliver it on a first class stamp is a joke and have queried it with them, it generally improves immediately so it shows an email can change things.

The star itself is a great read currently and very welcome, I particularly like the articles on previous winning teams, what about a short season review during the modern era from 1965 along the lines off what you currently do at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

The Royal Mail postal delivery has been all over the place during the COVID crisis with my star being delivered any day from Thursday to Saturday and rarely two weeks the same, bearing in mind I live 24 miles from where it’s printed I think 3 days for RM to deliver it on a first class stamp is a joke and have queried it with them, it generally improves immediately so it shows an email can change things.

The star itself is a great read currently and very welcome, I particularly like the articles on previous winning teams, what about a short season review during the modern era from 1965 along the lines off what you currently do at the end of the season.

WORTHY of thought, thanks Dick

Hats off to all the editorial and production staff bringing us a quality magazine in these very trying times for all.  Well done guys

• Like 2