British Speedway Forum

40 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

A slightly thinner paper doesn't worry me. I knew it was different when mine came through the post this morning but if it means a slightly thinner paper cuts costs and helps the magazine pull through this crisis I'm all for it. Another great issue today, the features are brilliant and keeping good news stories from around the clubs is an amazing job! Well done to all involved with a national treasure.

I agree completely. If the changes make the magazine sustainable then I'm all for it. The content remains key and is excellent this week as ever. 

• Like 1

Adopting the cheaper paper is entirely sensible if it means production of the mag is sustainable as a result.

The only feedback i would give is it did mean the mag was more crumpled after being shoved through the letterbox. A small price to pay if it allows it to continue.

No star again today :(  last week's came Monday . Never had problems before but mails not coming that regular as well. Obviously trouble at local depot I'd have thought

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PAPER is different. We actually didn't expect it this week. Obviously the past four months have had a devastating effect on sales of SS through newsagents, supermarkets, etc. And savings had to be made on top of furloughing some production staff. Our printers offered us a slightly thinner and cheaper paper that would also help with postage and freight charges. We were assured that it would not have a detrimental effect on the appearance of the content (pictures, etc) and I don't think it does. We plan to review the situation again later in the year when, hopefully, there will have been a pic k up in retail sales with people more able to get out and about to shops, etc. 

Good move, fully appreciate anything that keeps SS in circulation, frankly, I really don’t know how you keep going, it must be an never ending nightmare with the steady downward spiral of the sport in recent years and now the Covid 19 virus things must be very stressful.

22 minutes ago, bruno said:

No star again today :(  last week's came Monday . Never had problems before but mails not coming that regular as well. Obviously trouble at local depot I'd have thought

I WENT two weeks not getting mine through the mail until Monday ... this week's arrived this morning!

• Like 1

My  copy is usually inside the newspaper I get. I thought it looked a little odd when I flicked through it. I read it properly throughout the week. The 'oddness' I detected gained my attention for, what, almost 5 whole seconds then never gave it another thought till coming on here just now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bruno said:

Mine’s seems back on track these days ,probably is your local depot.Read some where the Post Office has been heavily fined for not delivering 1st class Mail on time.!!

My Speedway Star arrived today, Saturday, can't complain too much only 3rd time it's been overdue since March or so.  Have noticed though on the rare occasions the 'Star is late we don't get any post at all, so there's that.  Also in Asda last nite (top tip: shop after 7pm you get the entire store almost to yourself, sweet) no Speedway Stars on the shelves.  I didn't look as from the old days of 'the newsagent says is late but I don't believe them, oh look there it is on the supermarket shelf afterall' but out of interest to see who was on the cover, knew my copy was 'stuck in the post' somewhere....

Edited by martinmauger
hopefully improved grammar

2 hours ago, martinmauger said:

My Speedway Star arrived today, Saturday, can't complain too much only 3rd time it's been overdue since March or so.  Have noticed though on the rare occasions the 'Star is late we don't get any post at all, so there's that.  Also in Asda last nite (top tip: shop after 7pm you get the entire store almost to yourself, sweet) no Speedway Stars on the shelves.  I didn't look as from the old days of 'the newsagent says is late but I don't believe them, oh look there it is on the supermarket shelf afterall' but out of interest to see who was on the cover, knew my copy was 'stuck in the post' somewhere....

WHICH Asda branch was that?

Kingswood, Hull....

Get mine always on a Friday only late if there is a bank holiday.I  often think the Star should add 20 pence to the price it is well worth it in my opinion great value compared to numerous other magazines.

20 minutes ago, fredbogge said:

No show again  the post is crap in  SK17 area

I THINK it has been mentioned that Royal Mail have recently been handed down a massive fine for late first class deliveries...