Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Last weeks arrived saturday and this weeks today, only had a quick browse of last weeks so now have 4 days to catch up

Happy Christmas to the team at the Star and i hope next year is a helluva lot easier for you

15 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Last weeks arrived saturday and this weeks today, only had a quick browse of last weeks so now have 4 days to catch up

Happy Christmas to the team at the Star and i hope next year is a helluva lot easier for you

THANKS and Christmas greetings to you...

• Like 1

Just read the Michael Lee bit and interesting how he says he lost interest because it seemed like a small group of promotors where only interested in themselves. 40 years later and ............

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A very good read again this week, SS is the only consistent thing in speedway at the moment, so well done for keeping going under what must be extraordinary difficult situation. Let’s hope SS is still around next season as it would be sorely missed. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

A very good read again this week, SS is the only consistent thing in speedway at the moment, so well done for keeping going under what must be extraordinary difficult situation. Let’s hope SS is still around next season as it would be sorely missed. 

THANKS, hanging on!

38 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

agree,some very good articles.They have done well to keep going in difficult circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruno said:

Just read the Michael Lee bit and interesting how he says he lost interest because it seemed like a small group of promotors where only interested in themselves. 40 years later and ............

Will they ever 'get it'?

Hopefully some of those involved now who do see the bigger picture, (and there are a sizeable few now I would suggest), will get given the opportunity to move the sport forwards..

And use the following objectives as a starting point,..

Use Credible rules which mean the Leagues have some kudos in winning, thus stimulating interest from the fans..

Ensure Integrity of the rules' implementation, which can never be held up by anyone as being implemented with self interest..

Deliver consistently a great overall entertainment package, at what the majority will see as a value for money entrance fee,...

Plan you fixture list to run on nights (or days) when your highest amount of customers tell you they can get there....

Deliver a truly collective, professional, national marketing plan, using modern communication systems, to get the message out there about the Sport as a whole..

And, make a long term successful GB team your No 1 priority which will interest media, sponsor and fan, and then use this wider interest to stimulate growth at domestic league level..

There must be enough people involved now within the sport to see that trying to win something that is currently rendered virtually worthless by their very own rules, is a complete waste of time, energy and resource, as whichever team wins any title in UK Speedway, it won't grow the overall sport one iota..

Lets hope that the 'new dawn' isn't too far away and the 'newer voices' start getting heard and get allowed to influence the changes needed..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Speedtiger said:

A great read for the older end, but is it not time to move it forward towards the younger generation to be able to evolve and maintain its great status as the best speedway magazine in the world?

With the British Youth Championships growing year on year, surely it is time to follow it more in depth and gain a new reader direction?

All the families and friends of all the new riders emerging from as young as 7 years old would love to follow their progress and what better place than in the Star

47 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

A great read for the older end, but is it not time to move it forward towards the younger generation to be able to evolve and maintain its great status as the best speedway magazine in the world?

With the British Youth Championships growing year on year, surely it is time to follow it more in depth and gain a new reader direction?

All the families and friends of all the new riders emerging from as young as 7 years old would love to follow their progress and what better place than in the Star

The series of interviews they did with 2019 riders was very good. The series itself in 2020 was good with nothing decided until the final round and full deserved more recognition than it got. 
Having said that the coverage is getting better for youth and amateur scenes with more column inches been dedicated to them than ever before.

Another excellent piece this week was the training schools at Belle Vue. What was so noticeable for me was that your average man in the street could have a go, as the cost of a bike and spares was manageable for somebody with an ordinary job. This is where the sport needs to get back to. Whether or not it is just for the beginners, or the sport in general, is another debate. But as Poland is now pushing for the big "stars" to ride in their league alone, could this be the right time to bring in standard / cheaper machinery?

It would also be a great time to see clubs step up their games bringing in young riders by giving them as much track time as possible with rider schools / second halves. 

Or how about the BSPA making use of somewhere central like Buxton (open to other alternatives) where facilities could be used at any weekend / all weekend and there are no restrictions on time and usage?

Been some seriously good articles in the Speedway Star this year. Actually been more interesting reading about riders / events of the past and debates about the sport rather than standard match reports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, secsy1 said:

Think they have done a good job covering Youth Championship and  Amateur scene this year. What do you see as a new reader direction.? Will it dramatically increase sales of magazine given the sport doesn’t seem to attracting new youngsters whose family is not attending or already involved in the sport,they probably get the magazine anyway.

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Think they have done a good job covering Youth Championship and  Amateur scene this year. What do you see as a new reader direction.? Will it dramatically increase sales of magazine given the sport doesn’t seem to attracting new youngsters whose family is not attending or already involved in the sport,they probably get the magazine anyway.

A new reader direction is the same as a new spectators adventure to see their first speedway meeting.

Being able to relate to what's happening at other tracks and seeing how speedways history is so vast.

Nothing ventured in any direction is the same as saying its dead and don`t bother.

16 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

The series of interviews they did with 2019 riders was very good. The series itself in 2020 was good with nothing decided until the final round and full deserved more recognition than it got. 
Having said that the coverage is getting better for youth and amateur scenes with more column inches been dedicated to them than ever before.

As mentioned it is getting better, but needs much much more coverage, particularly with the latest stars emerging.

14 hours ago, topsoil said:

Another excellent piece this week was the training schools at Belle Vue. What was so noticeable for me was that your average man in the street could have a go, as the cost of a bike and spares was manageable for somebody with an ordinary job. This is where the sport needs to get back to. Whether or not it is just for the beginners, or the sport in general, is another debate. But as Poland is now pushing for the big "stars" to ride in their league alone, could this be the right time to bring in standard / cheaper machinery?

It would also be a great time to see clubs step up their games bringing in young riders by giving them as much track time as possible with rider schools / second halves. 

Or how about the BSPA making use of somewhere central like Buxton (open to other alternatives) where facilities could be used at any weekend / all weekend and there are no restrictions on time and usage?

Been some seriously good articles in the Speedway Star this year. Actually been more interesting reading about riders / events of the past and debates about the sport rather than standard match reports.

I think it is quite surprising that so many people do not realise how many tracks already do this, or are not informed as it is not covered by the Star!

3 hours ago, secsy1 said:

A new reader direction is the same as a new spectators adventure to see their first speedway meeting.

Being able to relate to what's happening at other tracks and seeing how speedways history is so vast.

Nothing ventured in any direction is the same as saying its dead and don`t bother.

As mentioned it is getting better, but needs much much more coverage, particularly with the latest stars emerging.

I think it is quite surprising that so many people do not realise how many tracks already do this, or are not informed as it is not covered by the Star!

I know the club I follow, Berwick, do an excellent job in this regard, with a team in the NDL and a few of the riders have came through the ranks thanks to this in the last few seasons. But I would like to see that nationwide. I know there are a lot of fans who stay back to watch the second half racing, especially on a decent summer night. 

27 minutes ago, topsoil said:

I know the club I follow, Berwick, do an excellent job in this regard, with a team in the NDL and a few of the riders have came through the ranks thanks to this in the last few seasons. But I would like to see that nationwide. I know there are a lot of fans who stay back to watch the second half racing, especially on a decent summer night. 

Having been part of the Berwick Njl team got to say the level of support the boys received was fantastic and I know that Luke and Sam loved the interaction with the crowd especially the 3rd bend massive.

• Like 2

Only got last weeks Speedway Star today..

Although, as I haven't been down to Tesco's to buy it until today, I do 'partially' blame myself...:D

Another excellent edition...

Can't think of too many 'minority' sports that have such a professionally presented weekly magazine with which to showcase their sport..

UK Speedway is very fortunate to have such a quality publication dedicated to it...

Well done to all at the Speedway Star, let's hope all fans of the sport support it long term, and through these Covid times in particular..

• Like 1