British Speedway Forum

29 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Only got last weeks Speedway Star today..

Although, as I haven't been down to Tesco's to buy it until today, I do 'partially' blame myself...:D

Another excellent edition...

Can't think of too many 'minority' sports that have such a professionally presented weekly magazine with which to showcase their sport..

UK Speedway is very fortunate to have such a quality publication dedicated to it...

Well done to all at the Speedway Star, let's hope all fans of the sport support it long term, and through these Covid times in particular..

THANKS ... we really do appreciate all those who have stuck with us during these troubled times. Subscription sales have held up quite well but retail sales (newsagents, supermarkets, etc) fell off a cliff around April, recovered slightly, but have been on a downward spiral again since November. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THANKS ... we really do appreciate all those who have stuck with us during these troubled times. Subscription sales have held up quite well but retail sales (newsagents, supermarkets, etc) fell off a cliff around April, recovered slightly, but have been on a downward spiral again since November. 

Internet shopping may be part of it Phil?

My company are over 100% LFL up on home shopping..

Footfall and Sales in many shops are actually down like for like but the home shopping has us smashing the overall budgets...

To be honest I am not sure that mags are part of the home shopping listing, but it might be worth checking with each retailer to find out and if so, get listed (if not already)..

To give you some idea of the split, the largest of stores now take around 40% of their total sales on home shopping against around 20% tops pre Covid..

My own store has lost 30% of its customer base but the ones who visit now spend much more more per visit hence my LFL is flat for the year. (9000 less visits per week but the same money!)..

I don't have home shopping in mine but it gives you an idea of how much footfall has dropped in so many supermarkets which won't help sales in product groups like magazines..

And the feeling is that home shopping is only going to get bigger as many will never go back to traditional shopping and in these uncertain times more will join as more lockdowns hit..

Edited by mikebv

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Internet shopping may be part of it Phil?

My company are over 100% LFL up on home shopping..

Footfall and Sales in many shops are actually down like for like but the home shopping has us smashing the overall budgets...

To be honest I am not sure that mags are part of the home shopping listing, but it might be worth checking with each retailer to find out and if so, get listed (if not already)..

To give you some idea of the split, the largest of stores now take around 40% of their total sales on home shopping against around 20% tops pre Covid..

My own store has lost 30% of its customer base but the ones who visit now spend much more more per visit hence my LFL is flat for the year. (9000 less visits per week but the same money!)..

I don't have home shopping in mine but it gives you an idea of how much footfall has dropped in so many supermarkets which won't help sales in product groups like magazines..

And the feeling is that home shopping is only going to get bigger as many will never go back to traditional shopping and in these uncertain times more will join as more lockdowns hit..

INTERESTING ...

Well I finally received 2 Speedway Stars yesterday (18th and 25th Dec, so I feel that Pinegen ought to be able to claim some compensation from Royal Mail (or whoever it is). If this is First Class then why are they putting the price up by 9p from 1st Jan, what possible justification can there be?

Also I think Speedway Star should be congratulated on keeping the magazine going in such an interesting way, just keep the standard going when the racing resumes.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, thommo34 said:

Well I finally received 2 Speedway Stars yesterday (18th and 25th Dec, so I feel that Pinegen ought to be able to claim some compensation from Royal Mail (or whoever it is). If this is First Class then why are they putting the price up by 9p from 1st Jan, what possible justification can there be?

Also I think Speedway Star should be congratulated on keeping the magazine going in such an interesting way, just keep the standard going when the racing resumes.

WE will try ...

• Like 1

As I am currently isolating have contracted Covid last week and this weeks editions have been very welcome, thank you for helping me keep at least partly sane. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, screm said:

As I am currently isolating have contracted Covid last week and this weeks editions have been very welcome, thank you for helping me keep at least partly sane. 

Keep safe!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Keep safe!

I have no option.

4 hours ago, screm said:

Sorry to here that,get well soon.Hope it is not too bad.

16 hours ago, screm said:

I have no option.

How’s it going?  Do you have any symptoms?  Did your wife test positive?

Brian Burford's ROAD TO PARADISE on the History of Speedway in Rhodesia is a most fascinating read. Perfect stuff over the Christmas/New Year period. Can't wait for part two in this week's SS.

Thanks to my pre Xmas  issue arriving very late I received my third new edition in 8 days!

And a most unexpected article - Dave Lanning and his balls!!

I have had problems renewing over the phone this week as a message keeps coming on "extension closed".

19 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I have had problems renewing over the phone this week as a message keeps coming on "extension closed".

SORRY to hear that .. if you cannot get through email dave@pinegen.co.uk with your phone no and he will call back