Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

I still like the star and i still think it is great value and the winter month's edition's for me are still interesting.My only gripe is the front cover i wish they would go back to the old design speedway star and price that's it.Often the star has a terrific front cover picture spoiled by other bits and bob's on it ruining it apart from that it is still lasting the test of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In recent years I get the Star delivered via the Royal Mail, after many years coming in a paper bag the star now come in a plastic bag! I think someone has got things a bit mixed up environmentally?    Over to you Phillip Rising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CountyGround said:

In recent years I get the Star delivered via the Royal Mail, after many years coming in a paper bag the star now come in a plastic bag! I think someone has got things a bit mixed up environmentally?    Over to you Phillip Rising. 

Polywrap is used for lots of applications, from direct mail pieces to magazines and catalogues, and for keeping weekend newspapers and their supplements together. Every week, in fact, millions of polywrapped items make their way into the hands of consumers and businesses. And there’s good reason for that, polywrap is light, strong and weather resistant, making it extremely effective at the task it is required to fulfil. It is also, despite perceptions to the contrary, recyclable. 

“Polywrap is LDPE [low-density polyethylene] and as such is one of the most easily recyclable materials on the market. The trouble is local authorities don’t want to take it back because it’s so light,” explains Malcolm Atkinson, managing director at Hereford-based flexible films extruder and printer Alfaplas. Unfortunately, the UK’s frankly dysfunctional recycling systems doesn’t help. As the BBC recently reported, across the UK there are 39 different sets of rules in force for plastics recycling. In the absence of a national standard, no wonder end-users are confused about what to do with their polywrap-type waste.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

As the BBC recently reported, across the UK there are 39 different sets of rules in force for plastics recycling. In the absence of a national standard, no wonder end-users are confused about what to do with their polywrap-type waste.

You are correct in your analysis of the current situation. It's a buggers muddle. I'm not an environmental nut but I try to do my bit and recycle as much of my rubbish as possible. I guess one of the frustrations is the apparent overuse of single use plastics. I hear what you said about polywrap being easily recycled but the reality is that most of it is not, for whatever reason.
I would say, and this is not aimed at any user, be it the Speedway Star or any other, may be the way forward lies with technology. Surely we can develop biodegradable film plastics? Their use, such as delivering magazines, has a very, very limited life requirement, so they could be developed to start breaking down in  a matter of weeks, or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, False dawn said:

You are correct in your analysis of the current situation. It's a buggers muddle. I'm not an environmental nut but I try to do my bit and recycle as much of my rubbish as possible. I guess one of the frustrations is the apparent overuse of single use plastics. I hear what you said about polywrap being easily recycled but the reality is that most of it is not, for whatever reason.
I would say, and this is not aimed at any user, be it the Speedway Star or any other, may be the way forward lies with technology. Surely we can develop biodegradable film plastics? Their use, such as delivering magazines, has a very, very limited life requirement, so they could be developed to start breaking down in  a matter of weeks, or less.

CANNOT argue with any of that...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get another magazine with a 'plastic' wrap that says it is compostable. 

I feel unsure abut putting this in with my garden waste.

>>Star's current wrapper much better than brown envelopes when it rains.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My postman is very disappointed. For years, he thought I was the recipient of some very dodgy material as it was sent in a “brown plain wrapper”. Now he realises it’s just Speedway porn :rofl:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CountyGround said:

In recent years I get the Star delivered via the Royal Mail, after many years coming in a paper bag the star now come in a plastic bag! I think someone has got things a bit mixed up environmentally?    Over to you Phillip Rising. 

I suggested a plastic bag a few years ago, being fed up with a soggy copy, the answer was it wasn't feasible. :rolleyes:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, False dawn said:

I would say, and this is not aimed at any user, be it the Speedway Star or any other, may be the way forward lies with technology. Surely we can develop biodegradable film plastics? Their use, such as delivering magazines, has a very, very limited life requirement, so they could be developed to start breaking down in  a matter of weeks, or less.

The answer is to subscribe the electronic version which doesn't require printing or delivery, or storage. Far more environmental and you don't need to wait until the Royal Mail decides to deliver it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put it in a black bin bag and take the bag to the local tip with all the others you have once a month..

First World problems eh?:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 7:34 PM, Gordon Pairman said:

My postman is very disappointed. For years, he thought I was the recipient of some very dodgy material as it was sent in a “brown plain wrapper”. Now he realises it’s just Speedway porn :rofl:

Had exactly the same with the 'brown envelope'. Our postie would hand it to me if I was outside working on car repairs etc. Finally he asked if I knew Mike , four roads away who had the same delivery? I replied is that Mike at.... giving his full address? Postie says 'yes!'. I then said 'yep, I see him at the speedway every week - it's the Speedway Star magazine!!!

Regarding disposal. I don't. Star goes into old photocopier paper boxes and go up in the loft. Full set from mid fifties to date! Saves on loft insulation. The covers get chucked with the charity bags I get!

'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The answer is to subscribe the electronic version

I do. My comments were directed at a slightly bigger problem than what Speedway Star wrap their copies in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2020 at 11:43 AM, False dawn said:

You are correct in your analysis of the current situation. It's a buggers muddle. I'm not an environmental nut but I try to do my bit and recycle as much of my rubbish as possible. I guess one of the frustrations is the apparent overuse of single use plastics. I hear what you said about polywrap being easily recycled but the reality is that most of it is not, for whatever reason.
I would say, and this is not aimed at any user, be it the Speedway Star or any other, may be the way forward lies with technology. Surely we can develop biodegradable film plastics? Their use, such as delivering magazines, has a very, very limited life requirement, so they could be developed to start breaking down in  a matter of weeks, or less.

I subscribe to Which? and their magazine is now wrapped in a material made from potato starch (but feels very much like plastic and has the weather protection/lightness of plastic) and is therefore much easier to dispose of environmentally.

Edited by SPEEDY69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have subscribed to SS for around last 20 years, great idea to wrap as was vunerable to damage in post, especially in wet weather. Proud to say have S/Stars going back 50 years !! Keep up the good work guys !

Edited by Goldhawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy