British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

King's Lynn v Wolves 11/04/18

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

A complerely dry day forecast today. Buster was known for getting a track in order within a couple of hours. In fact I have been to Lynn where it has bucketed down, then he’s been out on his tractor and got it raceable again. Has he lost his appetite?

Genuine question.

Yesterday and today (so far) may have been dry but it wasn't drying weather. It was misty, damp and almost no breeze at all. Any moisture in the ground would have stayed exactly where it is as would moisture in heaps of "dry" shale.

i played petanque yesterday on gravel and every time we walked there was water in our footprints, the ground is that waterlogged.

I'm no apologist for Buster but I cannot fault his reasoning for calling this one off.

There is absolutely no dry in Norfolk today, nor was there yesterday. It is musty and murky, no wind to speak of and certainly no sunshine.  Maybe he could have got the track sorted, maybe he couldn't but it seems after some bad experiences for supporters last year he doesn't want people wading through mud and puddles in the car park or to risk a rain off or poor conditions for racing for the first impression of this season.

Being an outdoor worker I'm personally not convinced he could get the track sorted, everywhere is saturated meaning the drainage at the track must be overflowing and it is one thing relaying  a circuit in the summer months compared to a wet and chilly April. A bad customer experience tonight after the farce of 2017 could do the club serious damage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

It seems to me speedway has found yet another way to drive the nail deeper into it's coffin. 

Not so long ago, if it was dry on the day, a meeting would be on, regardless of how much rain over previous days and weeks. In fact I never batted an eyelid about rain on days before a meeting. All that mattered was, if it was dry on the day you knew things were going ahead. It seems now zero effort is put in... which soon makes fans think why should they put any effort in either.

Completely agree. If there was no rain on the day the meeting went ahead. In fact I have experienced heavy rain at Poole in the morning and no issues with the meeting later on. A call off on a dry day just never happened and I don’t believe for one second this meeting could not go ahead. All day in improving conditions and Buster couldn’t sort it out?

Await usual apologists remarks about me not being in Kings Lynn blah blah blah.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Haha 1

i think its more a reflection and an indicator of the severe financial pressures speedway promoters(including ours) are facing this season(lets be honest if its cancelled and rearranged people like you and i would be there either way)

32 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Completely agree. If there was no rain on the day the meeting went ahead. In fact I have experienced heavy rain at Poole in the morning and no issues with the meeting later on. A call off on a dry day just never happened and I don’t believe for one second this meeting could not go ahead. All day in improving conditions and Buster couldn’t sort it out?

After the damage that was done on meltdown Thursday by riders and promotion and other times when the fans have been mugged in the past some fans have made it clear they will not attend meetings unless the weather is dry and settled if that’s a consideration of the call off I’m not sure . Anyway I’d better not be negative or I will get shot down 

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I take it you don't believe myself and Bagpuss when we say the conditions are not improving. Or do you live closer than my 2 miles to the stadium?

As others have said there seems to be a collective decision amongst promoters to have early call offs this early season. I'm not in favour of them generally but this one is the correct decision.

This is Starlady reporting for the BSF, about 224 miles closer to the stadium than Steve Shovlar:P

• Like 1

So basically the answer is not that the track can’t be sorted, as it probably can be, but that some fans might not turn up as Champions league football is on TV and it was a bit damp earlier on. It Sets a bad precedent. 

Having just returned home from King's Lynn and less than a mile from the stadium, nobody in there right mind would really get any pleasure out of standing around tonight for a few hours in a very open environment.
It's currently quite foggy, damp with the odd bit of drizzle, and extremely cold.

I don't think for one minute that Champions League football on TV (Who's playing anyway, and that's an honest question?) would have kept the public away, but today's weather certainly would have.

So I'm with those who think the club have made the right decision to postpone, as have Birmingham for the same reasons, but nobody is having a pop at them, so what makes King's Lynn so different in the moaners eyes?   

• Like 2

Are you only reading the bits you want to? The whole of Norfolk has been drenched and its not drying out yet despite the lack of rain since Monday, and the track almost certainly can't be sorted to produce proper speedway racing.And after last season they want to get the first meeting right. Pretty straightforward and nothing to do with Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Are you only reading the bits you want to? The whole of Norfolk has been drenched and its not drying out yet despite the lack of rain since Monday, and the track almost certainly can't be sorted to produce proper speedway racing.And after last season they want to get the first meeting right. Pretty straightforward and nothing to do with Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.

Is that who Mr Shovlar was referring to?  Why would a King's Lynn fan, or come to that a Wolverhampton fan (the hardcore who travel) want to stop at home and watch Real Madrid play Bayern Munich, when there own speedway club are racing.  Whatever is he talking about....the mind boggles????  

44 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So basically the answer is not that the track can’t be sorted, as it probably can be, but that some fans might not turn up as Champions league football is on TV and it was a bit damp earlier on. It Sets a bad precedent. 

Yeah.. a bit like Poole v Lakeside a few years ago?

• Thanks 1

I think the club are just trying to maximise is revenue and making sure conditions to run meetings are near on perfect. After last season it's absolutely the right thing to do. 

The problem is, 2 or 3 more weeks of this weather we'll be heading towards 2 home meetings in a week or double headers again where money will be lost regardless.

15 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think the club are just trying to maximise is revenue and making sure conditions to run meetings are near on perfect. After last season it's absolutely the right thing to do. 

The problem is, 2 or 3 more weeks of this weather we'll be heading towards 2 home meetings in a week or double headers again where money will be lost regardless.

If that happened, the easy option would be to push the deadline out wouldn't it, after all, the season finishes early September, leaving around 6-7 weeks to wrap up the play-offs.

Only six miles from the track and I am quite surprised that this has been called off as there hasn't been any rain since yesterday morning. To be fair though there has been a lot of rain recently and there hasn't been any real dry out as there's been no sun or wind but I am still surprised that they couldn't have got the track in a good raceable state within the last 24+ hours. 

If it's been called off due to the state of the car park/stock car pits then that is a poor show. They have been a disgrace for many years now and something should have been done about them a long time ago. The pits at Mildenhall were in a similar disgraceful state until a couple of years ago but a bit of investment (£) and time have now made them good (I know that's not where there public parks there but just using that as an example that something COULD be done at Lynn too) 

With the fixed race nights this season, a poor Summer is going to lead to an even worse fixture back log than previous years so I would have thought that every opportunity to get a meeting on when it was actually dry overhead would have been taken! 

Perhaps Buster is the ultimate weather forcaster. Looks like rain about to hit Kings Lynn.