British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your memories of Americans in British League (1970-90)

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Rick Miller was a rider who really turned his career around at first he struggled bigtime but stuck at it and ended up World class.

And, of course, famously achieved the required 12 point maximum for a 6.00 average in his final match against Sheffield and the Moran brothers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually,it was just Shawn,Kelly wasn't with us then.From what I read,Shawn did some excellent team riding that night !

Sheffield's American's in this time period were,

Tommy Morley several meetings in mid 1979

Shawn late 1980/88

Kelly  86/88

Randy Green mid 1988

Dougie Wyer recommended the then Sheffield Management in the late 70's to give a young unknown  American called Bruce Penhall a go,they didn't...

Another rider linked for 1982 or 1983 was Keith Crisco,I think he was with Birmingham?

• Like 2

Never ever heard of Tommy Morley!!!Then again I don’t think I went to a single meeting in 1979.

Neither had we, until Sheffield signed him!!!  It is fair to say he didn't have the best of times with us. 

• Like 1

I remember this young yank being half a lap behind at some tinpot pairs meeting I went to at Swindon in 1989. I'd love to see the scorecard from that now. Forget his name...Glen Hancock...something like that. Wonder whatever happened to him... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2019 at 8:30 PM, iris123 said:

I am another who was at White City to see Bruce and Mike Bast

I was there as well. A really big crowd turned up that day, possibly the biggest of the 1976 - 83 revival.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, Grachan said:

I was there too.

It was Penhall and Mike Bast in an Inter Continental Final (I think). Both were out of their depth, although it could have partly been down to machinery. I think it was Penhall who scored the lone point they scored between them by beating Bast.

I was there in 1977 i remember hearing Bast / Penhall did not get the practice sessions that  they required and were promised.Penhall scored 3 points beating Bast, Keith White, Crump(ef).I  cant think of anyone believing that day that Bruce would go on and be favourite in 1980 and win his first title in 81.I do recall  Dan McCormick saying when Cradley signed him that he was a future world champion.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 7:35 AM, Sidney the robin said:

I was there in 1977 i remember hearing Bast / Penhall did not get the practice sessions that  they required and were promised.Penhall scored 3 points beating Bast, Keith White, Crump(ef).I  cant think of anyone believing that day that Bruce would go on and be favourite in 1980 and win his first title in 81.I do recall  Dan McCormick saying when Cradley signed him that he was a future world champion.

...I recall that there was talk that he may have have joined Halifax prior to Cradley stepping in. Can you imagine a team tracking Penhall & Carter together in the same team!

36 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I recall that there was talk that he may have have joined Halifax prior to Cradley stepping in. Can you imagine a team tracking Penhall & Carter together in the same team!

Totally right Steve Halifax could of signed Bruce but it never happened.But before the infamous incident 82 both Kenmy/Bruce got on well after were both respectful of each other's ability.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Totally right Steve Halifax could of signed Bruce but it never happened.But before the infamous incident 82 both Kenmy/Bruce got on well after were both respectful of each other's ability.

As i am aware Steve, Kenny got on very well with the Moran's named his daughter after Kelly.Even though you cannot forget the wicked thing Kenny did you cannot take away that he was a great rider.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

As i am aware Steve, Kenny got on very well with the Moran's named his daughter after Kelly.Even though you cannot forget the wicked thing Kenny did you cannot take away that he was a great rider.

I viewed his grave a couple of years ago.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Actually, only until 81 when Penhall knocked Kenny off (And got excluded) in the 81 overseas final. Kenny said exactly what he thought! 

4 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Actually, only until 81 when Penhall knocked Kenny off (And got excluded) in the 81 overseas final. Kenny said exactly what he thought! 

The White City incident started it off and there were a few other moments  before.I think there was a tough race between the two at Belle Vue in a England v USA  match ??  but before that they got on well i have a picture of the two smiling after Carter had beaten him in the helmet at Halifax.

The only test at belle vue they met each other in was 82. At least one of the two times they met in tgat meet is on YouTube I think