British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

Scorpions vs Diamonds - 13.4.18 19.30

Track too wet with no drying wind or decent temperature.

As we have been, in the past, a promotion that likes to get meetings on, it is not the weather at race time that matters, it's the time before. The ground in our gardens is probably saturated which means heavy vehicles cannot get on the track to prepare it. We like to see a decent meeting with decent races & it has to be safe for the riders(visibility). With us having a shortened fixture programme this year, there should be plenty of dates for re-arranging. The amount of rain-offs in the Premiership might cause problems for them though.

15 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

Guys - just a quick one.. Im doing a Grand National Sweepstake for our injured super skipper Stevie.. £2 a go - 40 tickets... £30 to the winner, £15 second and £10 third. All the rest of the money goes to Stevie. Pop and see me on the scaffold stand during the meeting or when im going round with young Jack (mascot) doing his collection. 

So Stevie gets £25? Or am I getting confused

Well its nothing for now but it was a good gesture anyway,  its going to be hard to accept a call off as its quite pleasant now, but as ironscorp said, its what has come down over the week

Edited by Paul Johnson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Johnson said:

Well its nothing for now but it was a good gesture anyway,  its going to be hard to except a call off as its quite pleasant now, but as ironscorp said, its what has come down over the week

also going to be hard to accept it as well.:wink:

Guest Scunny2012
1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

Website now saying this is off

Cant believe it,  no rain all day and a decent night forecast

1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

So Stevie gets £25? Or am I getting confused

That was the plan... until the meeting got postponed.  £2 a ticket would've brought in £80.. pay out £55, Steve would've got £25..  Although many of us had pledged to donate any winnings had we won... so could've been much more.  

Just now, Moranboys said:

or did you get the c and p the wrong way around.:wink:

Well I live approx 4 mins away frm the track and I have seen no mist whatsoever this afternoon as it states on the website 

31 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

tut tut tut. you should know better with the high water table around Owlerton & Hillsborough that causes postponements. :rolleyes: :wink:  Plus, when the site was bought it was from a part of our steelworks & we intended to dig down far enough to make a "bowl" shape for raised viewing. Unfortunately, we hit hard rock & steel which was too costly to remove, hence our water level at the track being, relatively, high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scunny2012 said:

Cant believe it,  no rain all day and a decent night forecast

4 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Track too wet with no drying wind or decent temperature.

As we have been, in the past, a promotion that likes to get meetings on, it is not the weather at race time that matters, it's the time before.

One very ignorant comment regarding the current weather circumstances,  then a much more realistic one.

When will loads of speedway supporters who've followed the sport for donkey years finally grasp the basic fact that if the temperature's struggling to ever get above 11 or 12 celsius on a still day or (at a pinch) a blustery 9 or 10 celsius, it doesn't matter how gloriously dry or even sunny the weather is on the day, an already saturated track is going to be a devil of a job to dry out satisfactorily for a proper speedway meeting to be held ? !!

I've been following the sport since 1988 and I can't recall any spring like the one we're currently enduring with the weather since late-February so overwhelmingly dominated by chilly winds from the east and north-east instead of the usual majority of helpful warmer breezes from the west and south-west.

There are large parts of northern England and eastern Scotland where there's barely been any single day yet in 2018 reaching that all-important 12 degrees, albeit that should change tomorrow and Sunday judging by this weekend's forecast.

Contrast that with 2012 when there was almost continuous 16-celsius sunshine for the last fortnight of March when a house I was having decorated was done in record time because the paint was drying beautifully quickly - it would probably have taken twice as long if that same work was being done now.

Once we're consistently into mid-teens weather, then of course dry conditions on the day of the meeting should be enough to ensure it goes ahead even after a day or two of rain beforehand because there's enough warmth in the air for Mother Nature to be truly helpful.

But that's nowhere near what we've got now or, even more importantly have had relentlessly for the past 6 weeks or so (the first and most vicious wave of the Beast From the East reached our shores on the evening of Tuesday 27th February). 

If Rob Godfrey and his crew at Scunthorpe, well known for running in just about any borderline conditions, can deem this evening's action worth a call-off with several hours to go, that should be seriously appreciated and understood rather than stupidly criticised.

• Like 4

Guest Scunny2012
33 minutes ago, arthur cross said:

One very ignorant comment regarding the current weather circumstances,  then a much more realistic one.

When will loads of speedway supporters who've followed the sport for donkey years finally grasp the basic fact that if the temperature's struggling to ever get above 11 or 12 celsius on a still day or (at a pinch) a blustery 9 or 10 celsius, it doesn't matter how gloriously dry or even sunny the weather is on the day, an already saturated track is going to be a devil of a job to dry out satisfactorily for a proper speedway meeting to be held ? !!

I've been following the sport since 1988 and I can't recall any spring like the one we're currently enduring with the weather since late-February so overwhelmingly dominated by chilly winds from the east and north-east instead of the usual majority of helpful warmer breezes from the west and south-west.

There are large parts of northern England and eastern Scotland where there's barely been any single day yet in 2018 reaching that all-important 12 degrees, albeit that should change tomorrow and Sunday judging by this weekend's forecast.

Contrast that with 2012 when there was almost continuous 16-celsius sunshine for the last fortnight of March when a house I was having decorated was done in record time because the paint was drying beautifully quickly - it would probably have taken twice as long if that same work was being done now.

Once we're consistently into mid-teens weather, then of course dry conditions on the day of the meeting should be enough to ensure it goes ahead even after a day or two of rain beforehand because there's enough warmth in the air for Mother Nature to be truly helpful.

But that's nowhere near what we've got now or, even more importantly have had relentlessly for the past 6 weeks or so (the first and most vicious wave of the Beast From the East reached our shores on the evening of Tuesday 27th February). 

If Rob Godfrey and his crew at Scunthorpe, well known for running in just about any borderline conditions, can deem this evening's action worth a call-off with several hours to go, that should be seriously appreciated and understood rather than stupidly criticised.

Having been watching speedway. since 1960 I don't appreciate being called ignorant from the likes of you,  I had managed to get 3/4 newbies this morning to come to this meeting when it was advertised as on  so if the track had no chance of drying out today the meeting should have been postponed this morning if unsafe. 

1 hour ago, Scunny2012 said:

Having been watching speedway. since 1960 I don't appreciate being called ignorant from the likes of you,  I had managed to get 3/4 newbies this morning to come to this meeting when it was advertised as on  so if the track had no chance of drying out today the meeting should have been postponed this morning if unsafe. 

You can stop digging now I reckon.

• Like 1

The rain was expected to stop early morning then Rob & his crew were hoping to prepare the track early afternoon for the evenings racing. Rob also has a job to do at his garage. When the crew were at the track, they found out that it was a losing battle to prepare the track.

http://scunthorpescorpions.co/?p=8351

• Like 1