British Speedway Forum
JamesM09

Rye House V Leicester Lions 11/04/2018

Tried to post a couple of photos but the forum doesn’t seem to like the urls from the image hosting site I use. 

Here’s my waffle on the MotoX track copied from the Rye House fans page on Facebook :

Ironic that after all the worries about views we lose a meeting (at least partly) due to visibility from mist. 

My experience was this, after getting to the track 75 minutes before tapes up and squeezing in to the very last spot at the front of the viewing platform next to the ref’s box I actually had an OK view. Though being 6’5” and getting a spot at the very highest viewing point in the stadium (with the possible exception of the last row of the bleachers on the second/third bend) certainly contributed significantly to that. 

However, I can’t see how everyone in the stadium can have had a satisfactory view without those advantages. I’m certainly concerned I won’t have one if I don’t manage to get a spot in the same place for future meetings (and there will, hopefully, be plenty of busier ones where good spots will be even more at a premium). I had hoped to try out a few other spots in later heats but obviously that became impossible. 

At the very best, the moto-cross track is a distraction from the racing, at worst I can see it being a real obstruction to viewing at points around the track. The concerted PR campaign about it from the track announcer (even dragging Scott Nicholls in to tow the company line) was an irritation too, albeit a minor one. 

I’m reserving final judgement until another meeting or two and see how things settle down (speaking of which, I wouldn’t be surprised if some work had been done to level off some of the bumps in the MotoX track since the original photos and videos were taken, which is a good move if so).

A pity that we lost a meeting featuring some good, promising racing  - Leicester’s much hyped new stars seemed ill at ease on our track and our riders seemed to be coming together well before conditions got too treacherous.

Edited by SFTGNigel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Mark said:

I wasn't there and cannot comment on the condition of the track or the rider safety.     I wondered if you were there or just being brave on behalf of the riders from your computer ?

I was at Arlington and got soaked

12 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Off after 8 is bad news from a PR perspective. 

At least in U-21 semi at Eastbourne they got to 20 – even though rain fell for virtually all the time.

People at Arlington said it would never have got that far in the "Elite" – looks like they were on the money.

Not taking into account the level of rainfall or how much rain had fallen onto the track in the previous days. 

9 hours ago, SFTGNigel said:

Tried to post a couple of photos but the forum doesn’t seem to like the urls from the image hosting site I use. 

Here’s my waffle on the MotoX track copied from the Rye House fans page on Facebook :

Ironic that after all the worries about views we lose a meeting (at least partly) due to visibility from mist. 

My experience was this, after getting to the track 75 minutes before tapes up and squeezing in to the very last spot at the front of the viewing platform next to the ref’s box I actually had an OK view. Though being 6’5” and getting a spot at the very highest viewing point in the stadium (with the possible exception of the last row of the bleachers on the second/third bend) certainly contributed significantly to that. 

However, I can’t see how everyone in the stadium can have had a satisfactory view without those advantages. I’m certainly concerned I won’t have one if I don’t manage to get a spot in the same place for future meetings (and there will, hopefully, be plenty of busier ones where good spots will be even more at a premium). I had hoped to try out a few other spots in later heats but obviously that became impossible. 

At the very best, the moto-cross track is a distraction from the racing, at worst I can see it being a real obstruction to viewing at points around the track. The concerted PR campaign about it from the track announcer (even dragging Scott Nicholls in to tow the company line) was an irritation too, albeit a minor one. 

I’m reserving final judgement until another meeting or two and see how things settle down (speaking of which, I wouldn’t be surprised if some work had been done to level off some of the bumps in the MotoX track since the original photos and videos were taken, which is a good move if so).

A pity that we lost a meeting featuring some good, promising racing  - Leicester’s much hyped new stars seemed ill at ease on our track and our riders seemed to be coming together well before conditions got too treacherous.

My thoughts on stadium.  PR should start at the beginning ie car park which in my opinion is good enough to use as a motocross track first sight of it is enough to put any nubies off.  If you get past that although there are alterations inside stadium from when Len was there I wouldn't call them improvements.  From where I sat in the stand on  the home straight the view of the 2nd bend was slightly obscured and the mist and rain last night made matters worse. If you have mobility problems and usually watch from near the fence on the flat I think you may have trouble seeing the riders going down the back straight (especially if you have to sit in a chair/wheelchair). The seating that was under the referees box last year has been rebuilt with scaffolding and wooden steps which are definitely not user friendly for people with mobility problems.  The ref is now in a porta cabin and hopefully can see all the track.  Oh well perhaps thing's will look better when the weather improves, I will go again but am not impressed with "improvements" hopefully the team can make up for that.

Edited by hammer1969
  • Like 1

Pretty poor stuff due to weather & track conditions.

Track wet & damp meant racing was strung out and from the gate. What with a mist/fog developing as well it made it impossible for the riders to have any sort of vision.

Credit for trying to get the meeting on but the sensible thing would have been to knock it on the head earlier in the day. No one would have enjoyed watching in those conditions & the riders certainly didn't enjoy it. Crowd well down as well from last seasons.

Bizarre track grade after heat 4, completely pointless.

Schroeck clueless as usual, Robbo should have been put in heat 8 as meeting always likely to be curtailed.

No team suits this year? Looked very poor

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Pretty poor stuff due to weather & track conditions.

Track wet & damp meant racing was strung out and from the gate. What with a mist/fog developing as well it made it impossible for the riders to have any sort of vision.

Credit for trying to get the meeting on but the sensible thing would have been to knock it on the head earlier in the day. No one would have enjoyed watching in those conditions & the riders certainly didn't enjoy it. Crowd well down as well from last seasons.

Bizarre track grade after heat 4, completely pointless.

Schroeck clueless as usual, Robbo should have been put in heat 8 as meeting always likely to be curtailed.

No team suits this year? Looked very poor

K.K. Called up as wildcard in Warsaw GP on 12th of May

On 12/04/2018 at 8:09 AM, Richard Weston said:

I was at Arlington and got soaked

Well done Richard, hope you got drenched and caught a cold. :D  Typical that someone not at a meeting moans about riders being soft or ref's being to keen to call a meeting off.   Vaculik broke his leg tonight at Swindon in bad conditions.   That is reality.  His living gone for a few months.   But people like you will still moan 

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

RH v Leicester abandoned after 8 of the scheduled 15 heats. Keep your tickets for reduced admission to a future meeting! 50% off, maybe? No, 20% on the grounds that the result would have stood after 10 heats.

"You couldn't make it up"

3 hours ago, White City Rebel said:

RH v Leicester abandoned after 8 of the scheduled 15 heats. Keep your tickets for reduced admission to a future meeting! 50% off, maybe? No, 20% on the grounds that the result would have stood after 10 heats.

"You couldn't make it up"

Slow down White City Rebel, under Len there was NO refund after 6 heats and I if you did get a re-admission ticket it had to be for one of the next 3 meetings not anytime this season.

Long standing fans know the deal on rain offs, it's a risk we all take. Casual punters and newbies will feel ripped off and might not come again. What I saw the other night was not worth £2 per race of my hard earned money.

19 hours ago, Mark said:

Well done Richard, hope you got drenched and caught a cold. :D  Typical that someone not at a meeting moans about riders being soft or ref's being to keen to call a meeting off.   Vaculik broke his leg tonight at Swindon in bad conditions.   That is reality.  His living gone for a few months.   But people like you will still moan 

Feeling absolutely dreadful. Probably got the flu. 

Caught a cold, like all those who get ripped off with British speedway's obsession to get to ten heats when the weather is iffy.

Probably, won't over worry much me longer if this flu goes on to my chest.

>>>Another one bites the dust.

Speedway will be the death of me.

1 minute ago, Richard Weston said:

Feeling absolutely dreadful. Probably got the flu. 

Caught a cold, like all those who get ripped off with British speedway's obsession to get to ten heats when the weather is iffy.

Probably, won't over worry much me longer if this flu goes on to my chest.

>>>Another one bites the dust.

Speedway will be the death of me.

:D:D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

Slow down White City Rebel, under Len there was NO refund after 6 heats and I if you did get a re-admission ticket it had to be for one of the next 3 meetings not anytime this season.

Yes and let’s be fair to Len Silver that was the rule at the time across the sport not a Len Silver decision. 

£2 off a future meeting is an insult. We paid to see 15 races but even based upon the fact that we saw 8 races out of the 10 required for a result, we should be getting £3.60 back.

On Good Friday the non league football fixture list was hit by bad weather including matches at Maidenhead and Dulwich being abandoned. In both cases, the restaging of the fixtures sees FREE admission to ALL supporters, not just those who attended the original date.

And Speedway promoters wonder why the crowds are dwindling each season.

Edited by Jancarz