British Speedway Forum
A ORLOV

Swindon v Leicester 12.04.18

8 hours ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Read the thread. Hans Andersen said it should never have started. Therefore he thought the track wasn't fit to ride.

Read Danny King's comments. Nobody, including Hans Andersen, complained about the track beforehand.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dump that clutch said:

MFF ... :lol::lol:  what a plank.

Hes the biggest joke on here. Changed teams once and never attends a live meeting. As biased as Shovlar and Starman are at least they go and support the team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

Hes the biggest joke on here. Changed teams once and never attends a live meeting. As biased as Shovlar and Starman are at least they go and support the team.

I might be biased but please don’t tar me with the same brush as mff. 

• Like 5

Hindsight is a wonderful thing,   Had Morris not come off, probably, just probably, the meeting may have continued and the track could have improved.    But the meeting was delayed after the accident  and the deterriating of the weather,   this created the gamble to get to Ht10,  so I can understand the decision to cancel the meeting.    Just hope those who were injured  are not too bad and back riding quickly..

Regarding the suggestion that riders should be allowed to "test ride" the track before the meeting - on many occasions in televised meetings one hears the comment "the track will come to the riders later in the meeting"

Therefore, wouldn't everyone - riders, mechanics and spectators - benefit from there being a practice session immediately prior to every meeting?  The bikes would be correctly set up, track conditions and (to the visiting riders) size and shape would be experienced, and the track itself would "come to the riders" earlier in the meeting - all this would improve the spectators' experience

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I might be biased but please don’t tar me with the same brush as mff. 

I would never do that. Apologies if it seemed that way!

Conditions last night were very deceiving. Everyone was talking about the possibility of fog worsening during the evening but there was a lot of moisture in the air, my jacket was soaked as if it had been pouring with rain, and obviously the track surface was effected accordingly.

Leicester had experienced similar conditions at Rye House the previous evening, where visibility was a huge issue.

As for the first race carnage, it looked like two separate incidents to me, more a case of everyone hitting the same piece of track a little too fast for the unexpected conditions.

A brief practice 15 minutes before start time in such situations gets a big YES from me...

• Like 3

Confirmed broken ankle for VACULIK is what I am hearing, sounds like a Bjerre sized hole to me

Why can there be practice laps at 7pm for both teams... 5 mins each. That then leaves 15 mins of track time so sort any issues, not that there will be any most weeks. 

• Like 1

How much time elapsed between the riders track walk and the start of heat 1? And when did the ref inspect the track? What involvement did the track curator have?

It's well known that in these circumstances the condition of the track can change very quickly, by changes to atmospheric conditions and it wouldn't have needed a meteorologist to have said "hang on, let's have another look". But did anyone do that, or did they collectively just press on and trust to luck?

Palm-Toft has also said the track looked fine. It sounds like it deceived everyone, I think the 2 captains should be able to do a few laps each pre meeting to judge the track.

15 minutes ago, Woz01 said:

Palm-Toft has also said the track looked fine. It sounds like it deceived everyone, I think the 2 captains should be able to do a few laps each pre meeting to judge the track.

Or as in Poland, in discussion with riders the manager selects 2 riders to have 2x 1 minute practice laps. Pit gate opens, 2 riders from away team take to track. One minute practice then red flag out, riders return to the pits and home team 2 riders go out. This is then repeated with same 4 riders. Not rocket science 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woz01 said:

In current climatic conditions it's plain old common sense to keep checking track conditions and not presume they will remain the same. But common sense goes out of the window when other motivations take over. There just seemed to be an absence of common sense