British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Belle Vue V Poole SGB Prem. A. 16th April 2018

58 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

Really pleased with the result considering it's only the 2nd match of the season. Lots of promise from the Pirates and certain there is more to come from our Poles. Personally I don't see anything in James Shanes and I don't know what all the fuss is about, but there you go, we went for the 2 pointer option. 

Thought that Poole would have done better as Belle Vue were seriously weakened and Tungate struggling.

Whats wrong with Shanes? Young Brit giving it a go and he will have good and bad nights. The way Poole have set their team up as long as he chips in 3 or 4 a meeting he will be doing whats expected.

Maybe you could bomb him out same as Howarth, Ellis and Newman , why do Poole not give Brits a chance?

1 hour ago, Bleeds Pirate Blue said:

This @geoff58 fella is a right troll eh! Another stain on the forum that no-one removes. Fair enough, dislike Poole Pirates, but my gawd what an utter tool. BLOCKED to the same void as Gavan, sidney the robin, DC2 and MattFordFan. You can be 'anti-Poole' without being a massive bell. Plenty manage it!

Forum admin, take control back, stop sitting on your hands. You're complicit in allowing this divisive and toxic BS to flood the forum. 

Well they let Shovlar post so whats the differance

Edited by Booey boy

1 hour ago, Bleeds Pirate Blue said:

This @geoff58 fella is a right troll eh! Another stain on the forum that no-one removes. Fair enough, dislike Poole Pirates, but my gawd what an utter tool. BLOCKED to the same void as Gavan, sidney the robin, DC2 and MattFordFan. You can be 'anti-Poole' without being a massive bell. Plenty manage it!

Forum admin, take control back, stop sitting on your hands. You're complicit in allowing this divisive and toxic BS to flood the forum. 

Unfortunately there seem to be more trolls and wind up merchants on the forum nowadays than genuine posters.....combine that with too many people who can't resist biting at the utter garbage that is posted and its a pretty bad combination.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Unfortunately there seem to be more trolls and wind up merchants on the forum nowadays than genuine posters.....combine that with too many people who can't resist biting at the utter garbage that is posted and its a pretty bad combination.

Guilty as charged at biting at what comes out of Shovlars mouth

Got to the stadium at 6.15. Thought we had arrived on the wrong day. Nobody there! No queues at all. Bought our tickets and went in.  Last weeks program with an insert. Total rip off. All clubs do it but its mugging the customers.  I understand clubs need to recoup costs but charge cost price not £3. Includes Poole who gave out the 70th anniversay program with an insert for the same price. Don’t like it.

Spoke to Phil and another guy. Nice chap. Asked Phil to point out this Geoff bloke and the other guy said, why on earth would you want to meet him? The guy is an absolute pillock and an embarrassment to Belle Vue speedway. Seriously,  don’t waste your time talking to him.  Well it seems he is right judging by the posts he has made on here this morning.

Onto the meeting. Well I have to be honest and say it was not good racing. I know the Belle Vue fans will be happy because they won, but as Craig cook said on the mic, you have to gate.

The first 4 heats settled the meeting Belle Vue had their bikes set up straight away and the Poole riders didn’t, resulting in the Belle Vue boys powering away from the tapes leaving us for dead. Brady threw everything at Starke in heat one but absolutely no chance of a pass.

In heat 2 Bewley flew out the traps and was gone. Spanner got second and that was that.

Heat 3 saw Bjerre gate and was gone but Tungate missed it and was nowhere.

Heat 4 and the Belle Vue pair gated and were ten metres up on Kildemand going into the first bend.

Now the Poole riders had all had a ride, setups were adjusted but we were 10 down. Damage done.

Heat 5 saw the first pass of the night. Brady gated with Bjerre second and Woryna third.  Kasper stalked Bjerre and made a fantastice around the outside pass of him on the third bend lap four and then pinned him off bend four for a 5/1. 

Kildemand then won the next from Cook. Spanner battled but no passing.

In heat 7 Fricke gated and was gone but now Poole had got their setups right nd filled in the minor places

Heat 8 was a well won 3-3 with Bewley winning easy. As it was a gaters paradise Shanes had found it hard but gated ahead of Starke and held his place well.

Heat 9 and time for the t/r. Kildemand got away but Brady missed it. He tried every line in the book to no avail. Could get near a pass on Tungate and Bjerre.

Heat ten and Belle Vue make a howler. With Starke coming off the pace and Bewley unbeaten, I had thought it a foregone conclusion that Bewley would be out as a reserve change. But Lemon missed his chance and linus blasted from the tapes for the win. josh G chased cook all the way but not going to pass.

Fricke won heat 11 after a close first bend.

In heat 12 Bewley missed the gate. Result? Stone last. Shows how important it was to gate.

Poole were two down and had to do something in heat 13. Fricke gated and was gone with Brady throwing everything at him. On lap three he went wide again to get some speed which allowed Cook up the inside.

In heat 14 Bewley gated again and won it, with spanner second and Tungate third, after outgating Linus.

So with the meeting lost and 8 points down, I had given up all hope of a point with Fricke and Cook, on 1 and 3, against Kildemand and Josh. How wrong was I? They gated and were gone. Fricked tried a big blast around the outside of bends three and 4 but as they came down the straight Josh firmly shut the door on him, nearly causing a crash. A hard move no doubt about it but Fricke had to shut off and went to the back. Cook was chasing shadows. A suprise 5-1 to Pirates and the bonus point. Chuffed after that.

Overall though the track was a gaters paradise, as even Cook acknowledged when interviewed. A real shame but that’s the way it is sometimes.

For Belle Vue.

Cook was solid

Starke gated in his first then faded. Should have been replaced in his 4th ride.

Bjerre did his job.

Tungate was poor.

Fricke was untouchable until he missed the gate.

Gappmeier scored about the same as Etheridge would have.

Bewley was very good until he missed the gate. Should have had an extra ride.

Poole.

Brady tried all night but if you miss the starts or over try trying to pass you are not going to score many points.

Woryna was good value with his best every score here.

Josh was solid value.

Linus battled until his last ride when he missed the gate.

Kildemand scored 3 wins from the gate.

Spanner was steady.

Shanes gated once and beat Starke.

Considering this was our first away meeting the team did well. 

Poole team looks good and won after the first 4 heats won the rest of the meeting by 6 points. Lots of positives to take from it. Utter nonesense to say there should be team changes. This team is still the strongest in the league and will cruise into the playoffs.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

I feel to see how Tungate riding poor as he usually does in the EL along with Gapp for Etheridge is advantage to Poole?

ok Worrall was missing but the rider in his place scored Worralls 2017 average... ok he started really well this season but nobody knows if it would of lasted more than a few meetings a lot of riders start like a house on fire and fade pretty quick, Mads Korneliussen a classic example. 

Tungate is part of belle vues original line up and is riding poor, whilst not many with sense could argue against  Gappmeier being a better rider tham Etheridge!

Totally agree.

It's a real concern for Rohan Tungate. This is exactly the sort of form he shown for Somerset at the start of last season, even after a really good winter in Australia.

5 minutes ago, Najjer said:

It's a real concern for Rohan Tungate. This is exactly the sort of form he shown for Somerset at the start of last season, even after a really good winter in Australia.

To be fair he was trying. Just the track wouldn’t allow any passing of note.

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

To be fair he was trying. Just the track wouldn’t allow any passing of note.

That's even more of a worry then, as Rohan has never been much of a passer and is reknown for his quick starting. If he isn't making any starts, then he'll be in trouble.

3 hours ago, geoff58 said:

watching last night i don't think so :lol: couldn't beat a 4 man team enough said !!

So you can make a fair assessment after 2 meetings!

3 hours ago, Bleeds Pirate Blue said:

Mate, he should have been banned about a week ago for his inaproprate language on here. Clearly,  it seems to me unless you are a poole fan it doesnt sit.

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Got to the stadium at 6.15. Thought we had arrived on the wrong day. Nobody there! No queues at all. Bought our tickets and went in.  Last weeks program with an insert. Total rip off. All clubs do it but its mugging the customers.  I understand clubs need to recoup costs but charge cost price not £3. Includes Poole who gave out the 70th anniversay program with an insert for the same price. Don’t like it.

Spoke to Phil and another guy. Nice chap. Asked Phil to point out this Geoff bloke and the other guy said, why on earth would you want to meet him? The guy is an absolute pillock and an embarrassment to Belle Vue speedway. Seriously,  don’t waste your time talking to him.  Well it seems he is right judging by the posts he has made on here this morning.

Onto the meeting. Well I have to be honest and say it was not good racing. I know the Belle Vue fans will be happy because they won, but as Craig cook said on the mic, you have to gate.

The first 4 heats settled the meeting Belle Vue had their bikes set up straight away and the Poole riders didn’t, resulting in the Belle Vue boys powering away from the tapes leaving us for dead. Brady threw everything at Starke in heat one but absolutely no chance of a pass.

In heat 2 Bewley flew out the traps and was gone. Spanner got second and that was that.

Heat 4 and the Belle Vue pair gated and were ten metres up on Kildemand going into the first bend.

Now the Poole riders had all had a ride, setups were adjusted but we were 10 down. Damage done.

Heat 5 saw the first pass of the night. Brady gated with Bjerre second and Woryna third.  Kasper stalked Bjerre and made a fantastice around the outside pass of him on the third bend lap four and then pinned him off bend four for a 5/1. 

In heat 7 Fricke gated and was gone but now Poole had got their setups right nd filled in the minor places

Heat 8 was a well won 3-3 with Bewley winning easy. As it was a gaters paradise Shanes had found it hard but gated ahead of Starke and held his place well.

Heat 9 and time for the t/r. Kildemand got away but Brady missed it. He tried every line in the book to no avail. Could get near a pass on Tungate and Bjerre.

Heat ten and Belle Vue make a howler. With Starke coming off the pace and Bewley unbeaten, I had thought it a foregone conclusion that Bewley would be out as a reserve change. But Lemon missed his chance and linus blasted from the tapes for the win. josh G chased cook all the way but not going to pass.

In heat 12 Bewley missed the gate. Result? Stone last. Shows how important it was to gate.

Poole were two down and had to do something in heat 13. Fricke gated and was gone with Brady throwing everything at him. On lap three he went wide again to get some speed which allowed Cook up the inside.

In heat 14 Bewley gated again and won it, with spanner second and Tungate third, after outgating Linus.

So with the meeting lost and 8 points down, I had given up all hope of a point with Fricke and Cook, on 1 and 3, against Kildemand and Josh. How wrong was I? They gated and were gone. Fricked tried a big blast around the outside of bends three and 4 but as they came down the straight Josh firmly shut the door on him, nearly causing a crash. A hard move no doubt about it but Fricke had to shut off and went to the back. Cook was chasing shadows. A suprise 5-1 to Pirates and the bonus point. Chuffed after that.

Overall though the track was a gaters paradise, as even Cook acknowledged when interviewed. A real shame but that’s the way it is sometimes.

For Belle Vue.

Cook was solid

Starke gated in his first then faded. Should have been replaced in his 4th ride.

Bjerre did his job.

Tungate was poor.

Poole.

Brady tried all night but if you miss the starts or over try trying to pass you are not going to score many points.

Josh was solid value.

Spanner was steady.

Poole team looks good and won after the first 4 heats won the rest of the meeting by 6 points. Lots of positives to take from it. Utter nonesense to say there should be team changes. This team is still the strongest in the league and will cruise into the playoffs.

Personally Steve, im very happy with a point. This team is open to massive improvement, but it will not happen over night. The team has had two meetings together,  and really thats not enough time to gell. As Josh said in y'days Echo, the team is capable of a lot better.  Tomorrow night the track should be a hell of a lot better, given Glyn told me last week the track was a quogmire when he got in on Weds morning. What sleep i do get i wont be losing any, and when Chris returns that will give the side a hell of a boost. Early days. We certainly shouldnt take Swindon lightly tomorrow night. the boys will have to assert there authority from the get go, as Rosco always comes to us prepared..
Its also early days for Glyn as well, but when we get the settled conditions, he will work on the principal of home advantage. Glyn is very good at what he does he's a thinker, and i have total faith in him. It will all come together. Patience is a vertue...

Edited by Starman2006

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

For Belle Vue.

Cook was solid

Bjerre did his job.

Tungate was poor.

Poole.

Josh was solid value.

Spanner was steady.

I was told The programme was not so much a ‘insert’ as a  last minute change to pay tribute to Ivan Mauger ?

and it was only £1 

otherwise a fair assessment of the nights preceedings 

Edited by WestGorton1884

28 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Personally Steve, im very happy with a point. This team is open to massive improvement, but it will not happen over night. The team has had rwo meetings together,  and really thats not enough time to gell. As Josh said in y'days Echo, the team is capable of a lot better.  Tomorrow night the track should be a hell of a lot better, given Glyn told me last week the track was a quogmire when he got in on Weds morning. What sleep i do get i wont be losing any, and when Chris returns that will give the side a hell of a boost. Early days. We certainly shouldnt take Swindon lightly tomorrow night. the boys will have to assert there authority from the get go, as Rosco always comes to us prepared..
Its also early days for Glyn as well, but when we get the settled conditions, he will work on the principal of home advantage. Glyn is very good at what he does he's a thinker, and i have total faith in him. It will all come together. Patience is a vertue...

Good post. I think amongst the pre-season hyperbole it got lost that Poole are only retained two young riders from last years team. With such a young team, containing 3 riders who haven't raced in the UK recently, a young lad at reserve and an inexperienced number one it is only right to allow time for the team to gel.  Holder has always been the key to this side and it is unfair to judge them until he is in the mix as his experience will be invaluable. Despite that they have been pretty good so far.

• Like 1