British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry v Eastbourne 15-04-18

18 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

The word from Eastbourne folk who went is that the attendance was probably a long way short of break even.

That's a shame considering  the Eagles have to be one of the more attractive opponents in NL. 

300-350 is break even. I guess the Cradley meeting in a couple of weeks will bump up the average attendance. A decent weather forecast will help, I woke up this morning and seen the forecast. I thought it had no chance of being on at that point.

Edited by Woz01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

The word from Eastbourne folk who went is that the attendance was probably a long way short of break even.

That's a shame considering  the Eagles have to be one of the more attractive opponents in NL. 

I think Mick said he needed 350 to break even and I wouldn't say they are a long way short of that, although there weren't so many there this week. The problem has been the dodgy weather forecasts, bearing in mind the majority of fans will have to travel. It rained last Sunday all the way through the match and rain was forecast again today, which happened half way through. I am sure that once the weather gets better the crowd will increase.

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

Why didn’t Edwards take Brooks or Dugard’s final ride?

Good question! Seems strange, although he did actually take Dugards ride in heat 11 (according to my programme anyway but perhaps I'm wrong) and came last so perhaps that's why he wasn't used for Brooks in heat 12. 

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I think Mick said he needed 350 to break even and I wouldn't say they are a long way short of that, although there weren't so many there this week. The problem has been the dodgy weather forecasts, bearing in mind the majority of fans will have to travel. It rained last Sunday all the way through the match and rain was forecast again today, which happened half way through. I am sure that once the weather gets better the crowd will increase.

Good question! Seems strange, although he did actually take Dugards ride in heat 11 (according to my programme anyway but perhaps I'm wrong) and came last so perhaps that's why he wasn't used for Brooks in heat 12. 

Dugard only did 3 rides.

As far as Brooks is concerned, the view could be that he needs competitive rides.

Well done cov.

Eastie arent a patch on yrs gone by, the no2 position is occupied by a reserve and the top end strength is ok but no better than many other sides

a good result against a much fancied Eagles side who have had two wins to start their campaign.

impressive scoring from both mountain and armstrong which bodes well for the season

I suspect only obout 175 max so I think only about half of what would be needed to break even. And from where I was stood there was 20 or so Plymouth fans swelling the crowd.

54 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

I suspect only obout 175 max so I think only about half of what would be needed to break even. And from where I was stood there was 20 or so Plymouth fans swelling the crowd.

That can't be right. The Stoke Meeting there was around 130 people on the bend, I counted them (sad I know). Although i didnt go today I was told more people was on the bend and less in the seats. 

Edited by Woz01

3 minutes ago, Woz01 said:

That can't be right. The Stoke Meeting there was around 130 people on the bend, I counted them (sad I know). Although i didnt go today I was told more people was on the bend and less in the seats. 

I have counted the crowd at King's Lynn for Young Stars meeting. Trouble is, it was hard to distinguish between paying spectators and those in free. I got on one occasion to 125.

I also see the Eastbourne match report says the crowd at Coventry today was sparse.

You can also bet there were at least 20/30 Eastie fans in the stadium, at least,

It's a shame, but the majority of fans don't travel in dodgy weather anymore, and who can blame them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Dugard only did 3 rides.

As far as Brooks is concerned, the view could be that he needs competitive rides.

I thought he did so thanks for the confirmation. Edwards took his place in heat 11 and the updates site had it wrong when I checked as they had Dugard riding, hence me being unsure whether I'd marked my programme correctly. 

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

It's a shame, but the majority of fans don't travel in dodgy weather anymore, and who can blame them.

True and after getting soaked the week before a lot wouldn't fancy the same again being as rain was forecast. 

The rain actually forecast was worse than last week. It did have heavy rain between 2pm-5pm at one point. I'm quite sure once we get a meeting with no threat of rain more than enough will come to watch. The Cradley meeting will boost the attendance no doubt about that.

Edited by Woz01
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

Well done cov.

Eastie arent a patch on yrs gone by, the no2 position is occupied by a reserve and the top end strength is ok but no better than many other sides

Think you're spot on there, shows early on what is likely to happen away from home again this season without an out and out no 1.Dugard will be at reserve shortly with Edwards at 2, better in one way but less options as we'll have 2 weak reserves if their current form continues, although you'd like to think both Brookes and Dugard should improve? 

Edited by gazzac

22 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Think you're spot on there, shows early on what is likely to happen away from home again this season without an out and out no 1.Dugard will be at reserve shortly with Edwards at 2, better in one way but less options as we'll have 2 weak reserves if their current form continues, although you'd like to think both Brookes and Dugard should improve? 

If current form is anything to go by then it will definitely weaken Eastbourne however i suspect Kelsey will get a confidence boost being at reserve and hammer in the points and when it clicks for Brookes he will really show what he can do as ive seen him ride several times and he is extremely talented. From reports smaller tracks might take a bit of work for him but i suspect one good meeting is all it will take for him to start flying.

10 hours ago, Woz01 said:

The rain actually forecast was worse than last week. It did have heavy rain between 2pm-5pm at one point. I'm quite sure once we get a meeting with no threat of rain more than enough will come to watch. The Cradley meeting will boost the attendance no doubt about that.

Hope your right I'm not sure if the Cradley fans will turn out in big numbers because of so few meetings this year or maybe not bother because we have so few meetings!!!!! We will be there

1 hour ago, bruno said:

Hope your right I'm not sure if the Cradley fans will turn out in big numbers because of so few meetings this year or maybe not bother because we have so few meetings!!!!! We will be there

I think some of the riders Cradley have will also boost it by a few. I was impressed with Kyle Bickley the other week at Belle Vue and the two reserves are good prospects. Add of course Adam Roynon who Bees fans have a great deal of time for.

I hear there was 47 less than last week which would mean the crowd was 250 ish.