British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Swindon SGB Prem A. 18th April 2018

4 heat wins for Poole, totally outclassed. 

:):D

9 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

I have no complaints, we were pretty much beaten in all departments tonight, the track was the same for both sides,  Swindon Gated and wanted it more, i like all poole fans am very dissapointed,  but its one meeting, and the new boys still havnt really had the chance to get to grips with the track but might be the wake up call the team want. I think this is a meeting and result we should take a lot from and hopefully learn from. And i think it would be pretty safe to say it wont happen again,. Josh looked pretty sore in the pits and James has a lot of bruising. Swindon did well, and fair play to them. I did say dear old uncle Rosco brings his side down and they would be ready, except in the main ours didnt turn up.

Kildermand did his pass on Morris was the only highlight from a poor performance from us :)

Edited by ray c

Track was awful! I counted 2 or 3 passes all night, and pretty sure they were all from Kildemand. The track was utter rubbish. There was only one line around the middle, no dirt on the outside, almost impossible to overtake on. Riders on the outside gate were putting their back wheels right on the fence to chase a little bit of dirt, all the riders going wide to try and get some grip just found themselves in no mans land. So many times we saw our riders chasing a dirt line that wasn't there. 

Gaters paradise last night with almost no overtaking opportunity. The usual thick outside racing line around Poole was non existent. You will be able to count this years passes on two hands if we don't get the track sorted quickly. Smooth as a baby's backside but absolutely no grip on the outside.

Edited by BurntFaceMan

10 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Thanks for the press conference video, I particularly enjoyed the way Kildemand avoided answering the question of his availability for the rest of the year.

19 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

Track was awful! I counted 2 or 3 passes all night, and pretty sure they were all from Kildemand. The track was utter rubbish. There was only one line around the middle, no dirt on the outside, almost impossible to overtake on. Riders on the outside gate were putting their back wheels right on the fence to chase a little bit of dirt, all the riders going wide to try and get some grip just found themselves in no mans land. So many times we saw our riders chasing a dirt line that wasn't there. 

Gaters paradise last night with almost no overtaking opportunity. The usual thick outside racing line around Poole was non existent. You will be able to count this years passes on two hands if we don't get the track sorted quickly. Smooth as a baby's backside but absolutely no grip on the outside.

Shovlar says could only ride the inside, you say can only ride mid track and Kildemand went from 3rd to 1st around the outside.... come on, which is it? :)

• Like 1

was speaking to the lads at the track on monday who were saying glyn (who everybody respects)was against ripping up the starts or the outside which has been the norm at poole for a few yrs,riders, manager and track staff need to get together and sort a plan.(no " track prep" lecture from starman reqd)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

Spot on dire is the word felt sorry for James he worked so hard for not much reward  that track won't bring the crowd's in

Super Swindon, great way to start title defence with crushing win in Dorset. Sends out a warning to everyone. Well done Rosco and the guys.

GO ROBINS!!

2 hours ago, OFMiles said:

Disagree with Steve's rating of Sundstrom, I would have given him 3. 

I know it is early days and whether it was track, set ups or what but Swindon got it right not by a bit but by a distance and we never learnt. We, with exception of PK looked like a Champinship side., certainly 5 of Swindon'sside ride in the Championship. Yes,  and what a joke, Morris riding in the Championship when he's a No. 1 in the Premiership.

IF and its a big, IF PK is prepared to do the season, LS needs to buck is ideas up. 

Oli I didn’t put those ratings in my post. 

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Spot on dire is the word felt sorry for James he worked so hard for not much reward  that track won't bring the crowd's in

Any suggestions then ? Hmm.

1 hour ago, Col said:

Thanks for the press conference video, I particularly enjoyed the way Kildemand avoided answering the question of his availability for the rest of the year.

Indeed - I asked that question for a reason! As for the poor gating from the team for three consecutive matches, "a lack of sharpness" seems a bit of a cop out. 

19 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Oli I didn’t put those ratings in my post. 

Steve

Heres's your post:

Just got back after witnessing the press conference which I filmed and will chuck up on youtube shortly.

First of all well done to Swindon who gave us a master class in gating. They were two bike lengths quicker out of the gate in virtually every heat. At first I put it down to having 2 and 4, which were working very well. But by the time we got on them the Swindon boys were dialled in and it made very little difference. In virtually every heat Swindon got to the first bend in front and we were just chasing shadows. 

The track is now nice and smooth but the racing lines have vanished. Morris gated superbly, held the inside and that was that. A terrible terrible meeting to watch (unless you were one of the 4 Swindon fans I witnessed who made the trip down. Only person who showed true grit and detemination was PK who made a couple of from the back moves. 

For Swindon.

Their whole team did well, bar Davey.

For Poole

Kurtz was completely off the pace. Never seen him so bad.  1/10

Woryna did Ok but struggled with racing lines. 6/10

Josh G missed the gate twice and then took a purler trying to get second. Bad night. 1/10

Sundstrom looks a bit lightweight. 6/10

PK showed class. 8/10

Spanner was good. Battled to paid ten. 7/10

Shanes found it tough. Took a heavy fall trying to make a pass, bruised but ok. 6/10

One of those nights where one team clicks all together, and the other has a mare.

Well done again to Swindon who deserved their win.

Video of conference to come.

4 hours ago, poole keith said:

was speaking to the lads at the track on monday who were saying glyn (who everybody respects)was against ripping up the starts or the outside which has been the norm at poole for a few yrs,riders, manager and track staff need to get together and sort a plan.(no " track prep" lecture from starman reqd)

Granted, Glyn didnt rip up the outside, that i do not know the rerason why. Whether he was under instruction that i dont know. The start was ripped up. I think he also had a few tractor issues as well. He was pretty much on his own for best part of the day and with the aformentioned its a lot of work.
I do agree Neil and the boys need to get together with Glyn, but on the same token it has to be a collective decision. We still have a few damp spots which seemed to be taking an age to dry out, and Glyn was a little conservative with the watering, because, the evenings this time of year do go colder quickly,perhaps that was his train of thought, and if you flood the track it will just stand and that is no good for riders of both teams. You can flood the track late afternoon early evening in the summer, but not now, watering is a very fine line.
The rakers do there jobs, and Ray was down there early in the afternoon pulling the dirt away from the rubbers on turns one and two, because during the last meeting the dirt was like mud due to the weather and in that instance you can only pull it a foot away from the fence, just to get the best part of it off the rubbers, you cannot dragg slush round the track during a meeting.
Glyn knows what he is doing, but yes a little liason from Neill Chris when he's back wouldnt go amiss, but as i said, it has to be a collective decision. Adam Sckornici told me in 0-8, if you spike the bends then you  are only turning over loose dirt, and there is no grip, you just spin, so you effectively have  3 choices, 1, you dont rip it up at all, 2, you rip it up as normal, or 3, you rip it up and then tyre pack it, with tractor tyres which meens you  get the grip you need, but it might be to much. Again its a fine line.
You never rip up the inside going in, if you do that you are asking for trouble thats why you never see it.

Edited by Starman2006

i fully understand the thinking behind this yrs changes to the presentation but not convinced they are an improvement,does 1950s brass band music really work in 2018? The general consensus around us was that bringing the team around and doing post meeting interviews in front of the main grandstand was preferable to the" press" conference in the glass grandstand (is there much of a "press" representation ?) I did also feel a bit sorry for the meeting sponsors who were virtually on their own on the centre green waiting for their chosen rider of the night to walk across from the pits,the experience for sponsors after the meeting was imo excellent in previous yrs. Just some thoughts maybe other fans disagree.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poolebolton said:

Well that was unexpected. 

Fair play to the robbins. 

Love the panic that is spreading throughout Poole fans. 3 meetings guy 3. Not 13 not 23. 3 meetings. 

Lets just wait and see. As Middlo has put on Twitter it’s april!! 

Well everything is a negative surrounding our club.

Lost at BV when they were missing the entire middle order. Drozdz and Worrall - Injured. Tungate being non existent.

Laughable home defeat to Swindon. 

Linus Sundstrom a HL having it easy riding at No.4 can only beat Mitchell Davey on his home track and even on Monday he only had 1 good race. He should be doing similar to Pieszczek. 

By far our best rider in Peter Kildemand is leaving which will no doubt make the team weaker. Doesn't matter about Noddy because Kildemand has been that good I doubt Chris would match his scores. 

James Shanes is way out of his depth. Fair enough last year because the rules were different but he shouldn't be in the team this year when teams have riders like Bewley & Kerr at reserve to name a couple.

I'm not criticising James at all because I don't expect him to be beating these riders. But Sundstrom has to go. He's getting worse a 7.00 pointer having it easy at No.4 and still struggling is dead weight to me and I wouldn't take the risk of keeping him on.

If Kildemand stay's then bring Noddy in for Sundstrom if not maybe do a double change.

Sundstrom & Shanes for a couple of 5.00 pointers. or a 6.00 and a 4.00 pointer. Even Matt had his doubt's about signing James this year due to the strength at reserve in the league.