British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Swindon SGB Prem A. 18th April 2018

Just waiting for the Poole 2019 thread to appear. :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Any suggestions then ? Hmm.

Everybody at the stadium last night I would think would agree that the track was dire no racing lines one decent pass by kildermand all night .I'm sure there must be a lot of discussion of what's not right ?

ps forgot to give swindon credit for their totally deserved victory,they gave us a hiding and a lesson in gating and very determined 1st bend riding,masters head and shoulders above any poole rider.last yrs team looked excellent on paper and this yrs looked even better,matt ford is superb at putting these teams together, however i wonder if some are perhaps" mercenaries" looking for extra paydays and not really craving  trophys? last yrs team seemed to totally lack team spirit and leadership hope its not the same this yr.Anyway as they say, one "robin" doesnt make a summer! so onwards and upwards.(must say hello to our dear friend,who was home on holiday so she joined us last nite xx  pps was the programme better when you wrote most of it??)

1 hour ago, OFMiles said:

Steve

Heres's your post:

Just got back after witnessing the press conference which I filmed and will chuck up on youtube shortly.

First of all well done to Swindon who gave us a master class in gating. They were two bike lengths quicker out of the gate in virtually every heat. At first I put it down to having 2 and 4, which were working very well. But by the time we got on them the Swindon boys were dialled in and it made very little difference. In virtually every heat Swindon got to the first bend in front and we were just chasing shadows. 

The track is now nice and smooth but the racing lines have vanished. Morris gated superbly, held the inside and that was that. A terrible terrible meeting to watch (unless you were one of the 4 Swindon fans I witnessed who made the trip down. Only person who showed true grit and detemination was PK who made a couple of from the back moves. 

For Swindon.

Their whole team did well, bar Davey.

For Poole

Kurtz was completely off the pace. Never seen him so bad.  1/10

Woryna did Ok but struggled with racing lines. 6/10

Josh G missed the gate twice and then took a purler trying to get second. Bad night. 1/10

Sundstrom looks a bit lightweight. 6/10

PK showed class. 8/10

Spanner was good. Battled to paid ten. 7/10

Shanes found it tough. Took a heavy fall trying to make a pass, bruised but ok. 6/10

One of those nights where one team clicks all together, and the other has a mare.

Well done again to Swindon who deserved their win.

Video of conference to come.

Look at my original post. No ratings out of ten. 

What I feel we are missing is the fear. 

When we had Darcy, Holder and Magic we were beating teams before the match started just due to names on paper. 

Now people don’t have that. But I do think we can get there. Kurtz and Woryna are young and the guys will improve. 

Just think a sense of calm needs to happen. Just it’s 3 meetings and team will improve. 

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Shovlar says could only ride the inside, you say can only ride mid track and Kildemand went from 3rd to 1st around the outside.... come on, which is it? :)

I would class inside as front wheel riding the edge of the grass, which it definitely wasn't. When Kildemand made his passes it was always the first race after the track had been graded and half a dozen track staff were raking as much onto the outside as possible. There was no racing last night, just gating. The track was dire, it was too smooth and there was no line. The outside of the track was shiny, hence why the gating riders won. It was follow the leader and dreadfully boring. Fingers crossed we can get this fixed soon.

Just now, poolebolton said:

What I feel we are missing is the fear. 

When we had Darcy, Holder and Magic we were beating teams before the match started just due to names on paper. 

Now people don’t have that. But I do think we can get there. Kurtz and Woryna are young and the guys will improve. 

Just think a sense of calm needs to happen. Just it’s 3 meetings and team will improve. 

Its a big year for us the 70th anniversary. 

I think Matt needs to be ruthless this year. Don't sit back and give riders time. Look at KK last year. We are going to give him time and it got worse and worse. 

Shanes will not improve because the standard of reserves in this league is high.

We are going to get battered at Wolves on Monday and then all of a sudden we have lost 3 out of 4 meeting's and if we don't top the table then we will end up going to a technical track that we hate and then it really is curtains.

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

i fully understand the thinking behind this yrs changes to the presentation but not convinced they are an improvement,does 1950s brass band music really work in 2018? The general consensus around us was that bringing the team around and doing post meeting interviews in front of the main grandstand was preferable to the" press" conference in the glass grandstand (is there much of a "press" representation ?) I did also feel a bit sorry for the meeting sponsors who were virtually on their own on the centre green waiting for their chosen rider of the night to walk across from the pits,the experience for sponsors after the meeting was imo excellent in previous yrs. Just some thoughts maybe other fans disagree.

Hmm, i dont really get what your saying here. The walk on music has been brought back for the 70th aniversary, and the reaction from fans has been very positive its jolly and uplifting. As for the post meeting conference, its a good idea, and very well attended, but its great when you win, good vibes and banter flying around, but its very difficult when you have a loss, thats the down side. Personally, i do feel the post meeting conference happens a bit to quickly after the meeting, and does not give enough time for track staff to attend, perhaps it could be staggered 10 mins or so, i appreciate that riders want to get on, but its all part of the show,.
The meeting sponsors are never, left alone, Bev may or a representative is always, with them, you may not notice that. H/S depicts this is the case..

Edited by Starman2006

13 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Thanks for uploading Steve.

I thought Killer's answer to my question about the gating issues was a little hollow (their sharpness), but I'm no rider, so will give the lads the benefit of doubt. But in all honesty, its the same for all other riders - it's been raining everywhere causing rain offs!

He also dodged my comment about his availability eh! I've never been his biggest fan as I've often felt he can dish out the hard riding but goes down a little easy, but he was exceptional last night and the effort he put in was above and beyond what can be expected from a temporary signed on a poor track in a home defeat when the meeting was done and dusted. So re-assessing my opinion of him somewhat. His efforts justified the entry fee in an otherwise dismal meeting for Poole fans.

Reflecting on the Poole team and state of affairs, it's far too early to suggest making changes and sacking people. The bookies have made Poole the 6/4 favourites to win the league for a reason. I wouldn't want to single out any rider yet as deserving of blame. It's a team sport and what I've seen so far is a Pirates team being given a lesson in gating in each meeting so far...

Edited by Bleeds Pirate Blue

I could have gone to this meeting, but thankfully chose not to!

Instead I went to the British U21 semi final at Birmingham. Some decent speedway, although I have seen better there.

The 2 biggest cheers of the night? The presenter announced that Poole were currently losing 27-39 and the Final score from Poole!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Blimey the suns out, why all the doom and gloom, it's 3 matches and still April, Swindon have the team continuity from last season, makes a big difference, far to early for knee jerk reactions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, noggin said:

Blimey the suns out, why all the doom and gloom, it's 3 matches and still April, Swindon have the team continuity from last season, makes a big difference, far to early for knee jerk reactions.

Totally agree Swindon 5 rider's from last season Swindon rider's all dialled in with each other Poole 2 rider's from last season they all know each other but not dialled in just a theory but a good one ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ray c said:

Everybody at the stadium last night I would think would agree that the track was dire no racing lines one decent pass by kildermand all night .I'm sure there must be a lot of discussion of what's not right ?

Then please read my above post on last page. Altunatively go and speak to Glyn, perhaps you can put him right where he's going wrong..

Swindon won't get carried away with that result and I think it is just down to the start of season "rustiness" for certain Poole riders.  Swindon caught Poole with their trousers down and that won't happen easily again with the team that Poole have assembled.  Who would have thought Josh would fail to score and Brady would only score 3?  At the start of seasons, you often get shock results and I think that is what last night was. 

Rosco did brilliantly putting Nick and David together for heat 1 - both are on-form and when you start with a 5-1, the team's confidence grows.  Swindon's top 5 looks pretty solid but they will have off-nights (hopefully not all at the same time like Poole last night).

Well done Swindon and commiserations to Poole.

• Like 2

Well I just got home from Poole and I have to say I really enjoyed the trip. The meeting may not have been the best ever, but we were treated to one or two superb rides. Swindon were far superior on the night and thoroughly deserved their win, which everyone acknowledged with good grace. I was particularly struck by the size of the crowd, which was a lot better than the numbers we get at Lakeside. I also cannot imagine Jon Cook and co doing a public post match press conference, which I think is a terrific way to increase fan involvement in the club.

I want to say a big thank you for the wonderful warm welcome I received. I spoke to lots of Poole fans, including several forum members, and I can say that every single one was friendly and good company.

The recommended Lakeside fish and chips was excellent too.

• Like 2