British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

RIP Ivan Mauger OBE

I was very lucky to have spent five minutes talking to the great man on the centre green at Perry Barr during our return meeting (The Alan Hunt Memorial Meeting) in 2007. I was star struck and he was a lovely lovely man. Very sad today.

Very sad news indeed. Ivan was the best...the greatest rider of any generation. I was fortunate to watch him ride on many occasions and his dedication and professionalism was exceptional. Recall his visit to White City dressed in top hat and tails paraded whilst sat on the bonnet of Danny Dunton's Rolls Royce having earlier in the day been awarded his MBE.

A great man and there'll never be another.

RIP Ivan.

Sad news to hear the passing of Ivan Mauger.  A true gentleman who became a legend.   I have always regarded him as the most complete rider I ever saw.    He took professionalism to a different level.  and showed lesser riders the way to win.  His degree of detail was beyond limits.  He more than any other paved the way for the sport as it is  today.  

A truly tragic lost.....   RIP Ivan...

• Like 3

My first sporting hero as a four year old kid..

Sad news...

RIP Ivan...

A TRUE Legend of the Sport.

• Like 1

RIP Ivan, the world's greatest ever rider. I was lucky enough to see him ride in the great Aces team from my first meeting back in 1971 when he rode to a flawless 12 pt maximum at home to Halifax. I was hooked on the sport from then on. A great ambassador for the sport, he will be sadly missed.

• Like 2

Sad to hear of this awful news, although it has been expected, it's still a shock.I was at Brough Park to see his first home ride for Newcastle on 15 April 1963. This ended in an engine failure, an inauspicious start. A second and two wins, all on borrowed bikes completed his first match. He did improve!!!!

RIP  the ultimate professional.

• Like 2

It is a measure of his standing that if any 'non speedway' person was to be asked (even now) to name a speedway rider then it would be Ivan more often than not.

A true legend of the sport - RIP Ivan

• Like 3