British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

RIP Ivan Mauger OBE

Such sad news.

I was one of the lucky ones who have supported speedway the full length of his career and beyond, and it's a privilege to have shared the same air space as the great man.

Long will I remember his dazzling displays around Exeter's County Ground.......Long will I remember Ivan Mauger.

Thanks for the memories, now R.I.P.     

• Like 1

Very sad news a true professional and legend way ahead of his time, thanks for the happy memories condolences to the Mauger family RIP Ivan.

Greatest rider I ever saw 

Rip Ivan. 

Thank you for the memories. 

Edited by Tonystark

Rip Ivan the great

Simply the greatest speedway rider I had the privilege to watch, and thankfully meet in person. He won the first race I ever watched in the First Division at Belle Vue in 1972. He looked unbeatable that night, and a huge contrast to the other riders, from the leathers through to his dominant armchair style.

Ivan was a star and a lasting one, not just a few season wonder.

Later I was to have the honour of commentating on his British farewell meeting at Hyde Road and very nearly was assigned to cover his home New Zealand leg of his farewell tour. Sadly that wasn't to be but at least I can say that I have attended a business meeting with him. He was equally a class ahead in that arena.

i was lucky enough to meet many world champions in my time, but only one mattered, only one was I star struck by,

Ivan Mauger O.B.E.

The best in so many ways.

Rest in peace, free of that appalling illness that also claimed my mother, the death before death.

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 5

I can't really add anything to what has already been said, Ivan was the greatest of all time in my opinion.. RIP (Ride In Peace)

RIP Ivan. I travelled with the great man on his farewell tour to Poland in 1985, when he treated me like one of his family. There will never be another rider like Ivan, who took the sport to another level.

• Like 1

R. I. P Ivan, the greatest I ever saw. The King is dead but I can't follow that with long live the King because you are irreplaceable. 

Ivan Mauger. Surely one of the first, maybe really the first rider to take a professional approach to racing. He certainly raised the bar for the rest of the speedway world. Many others modelled themselves on him and achieved great things as a result. Ivan was not just a good rider. The record book proves that. He left those of us who saw him race in no doubt of his greatness. I did have the pleasure of meeting him at the Sheffield press and practice day about 15 years ago and I was struck by his quiet unassuming character.

RIP Ivan. Thanks for the memories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s a reason I have Ivan the great as my profile picture.

Without doubt the greatest rider I have ever had the pleasure to witness live !

Sad day for the sport , RIP legend 

Sad news. He was riding way before my time but the way other fans spoke about him and his 6 world titles shows he was the very best.

Very sad to hear the news about Ivan Mauger's passing, and many condolences to his family and friends.

Ivan, turned himself into the greatest speedway rider the sport has ever known - starting from an unsuccessful beginning at Wimbledon in the late 1950s through sheer determination and a level of professionalism unknown in our sport at the time. His legacy in the sport is vast and second to none. He will always be fondly remembered by all supporters who witnessed him racing during a exceptional racing career. Ivan, created so many great memories for enormous numbers of speedway supporters worldwide that will live on forever.

RIP Ivan Mauger OBE

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1