British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

RIP Ivan Mauger OBE

Very sad day,the greatest rider ever IMO,he certainly turn the sport round with his sheer professionalism .R.I.P. Ivan.

In this age of technology, is it possible to open a book of condolence that can be linked to Ivan’s family? It would be great if they could see just how highly regarded Ivan was by so many people. I saw him many times at his peak and he was an object lesson in how to conduct himself on and off the track. 

• Like 3

I was lucky enough to take part in a training school held by Ivan at Newport years back - was a true professional and made sure all that were a part of it received equal and immense instruction. A true professional and a massive shame that he's passed.

The one thing I remember him saying (and I'll never forget) was "give the rider next to you a kick heading into the first corner, it'll put them off and will give you an advantage". Old school to the end :)

RIP Ivan. Massive loss to speedway.

• Like 1

A great rider who brought professionalism to speedway, he was way ahead of his time, I feel so lucky to be able to say I saw him in his prime, a true legend. If the GP system had been about in Ivans day he would have had numerous more world titles as his consistency was unbelievable. Rip Ivan and condolences to the family.

• Like 1

With Ivan's sad passing I, and a great many others now call on Peter Collins and indeed the club to end their differences. It is a cliché, but as we all know life is too short. 

• Like 2

As a 16 yr old i skipped school to whitewash the fence at workington for him and briggo to race , i used to go help alan middleton  when he done the track he said u want a white fence u paint it!, so with a sweeping brush and  a wheel barrow and some bags of lyme me and a mate done it a proud moment i will never forget

It was a privilege to watch Ivan in his years at Belle Vue he was simply the best I've ever seen a fantastic style on a bike .RIP Ivan and thanks for some great memories.

nothing but great memories from this guy , so smooth , so pleasant and a true sportsman . i dont think we will ever see another Mauger  . although Lou Sansom was very close to style and being turned out immaculate at all times . 

RIP Ivan Mauger .  

• Like 1

RIP

Read his book a few years ago and gave an insight into how hard the journey to the 6 titles was

RIP to me he was IMO the greatest  rider of all time and changed the way riders went about their trade .a true trailbazer who has left his mark on our sport for ever .I hope that there will be some form of lasting recognition for him for future generations to remember the great man by .

Indeed very sad news, was not old enough to watch Ivan in his best years but my father used to tell me all about him, I did see him ride a season for my beloved falcons in 1984 and even though he was past his best and only riding home meetings at the county ground, he was still a class act

Yep really sad to hear of Ivans passing. Top rider in his day. RIP ivan.

RIP Ivan

Only just back from N.Z. having visited the museum in Christchurch where the gold plated bike, world championship trophy and other items are on display.

Also remember being at Katowice in 1973 when Jerzy Szczakiel got the world championship after Ivan toppled off.