British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

RIP Ivan Mauger OBE

Just seen the news and had that terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when you get bad news on someone close to you.

Apart from getting a couple of autographs, I never knew him but he was one of my all time favourite riders and he provided me with so many special memories. Maximum against Cradley for Exeter in the twilight of his career, 17 points at Perry Barr shepherding Bobby Beaton round for a last heat 5-1 for a Hull win, providing bikes for all his team mates in the Cup Final at Cradley, giving the other three riders half a lap start at Monmore after a dispute with the Referee and winning etc etc  the list is endless.

I don't think we've stopped celebrating Pratty beating him twice in a night at Dudley Wood in 1970. That was the measure of the man a winner and a perfectionist who set the standards for the other greats to follow.

RIP to the best rider in the history of our sport.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Icicle said:

Sad news. What age was he?

He was born in 1939 so that makes him 78 because I do not think he has had his birthday this year.

The man you loved and loved to hate when he demolished your team single handed.

Edited by The Little Un

Just saw this. Rotten to hear, but given the way he'd suffered in recent years I guess its a wee bit of a sweet release.

The man was immense and brought the professionalism of the sport to a whole new level.

RIP.

Such sad news, he was the best rider I have ever seen. 

The lack of coverage on BBC outlets is shameful, fans should bombard them asking that this true sporting legend's passing is marked. 

Just now, Trevor said:

Such sad news, he was the best rider I have ever seen. 

The lack of coverage on BBC outlets is shameful, fans should bombard them asking that this true sporting legend's passing is marked. 

Have rang radio 5 twice today to complain  but nothing so far now if ivan was a netball player he would be knighted by now!

• Like 1

Simply the best for me over 55 years of following the sport

Will never forget watching Ivan triumph in Wroclaw in 1970 when the Eastern Europeans threw everything they could at him - it was a wonderful afternoon and a great achievement 

Set new standards in the sport

RIP Ivan - now you're free from the terrible illness

• Like 1

An absolute legend. Period. 

RIP Ivan, forever missed, but never forgotten. 

RIP Ivan, a legend of our great sport.

remember him coming to Poole one night, and going through the card, a 21pt maximum, he was like lightning out of the gate . RIP Ivan