British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

RIP Ivan Mauger OBE

Great rider, R.I.P

The ultimate professional speedway rider. Great memories of him racing in Hull and at Belle Vue. R.I.P. Ivan.

Very sad news. Like many others on here, I had the privilege to watch Ivan race in his prime. Nobody wins all those titles without being something special, and Ivan WAS something special. World class in every respect, he will be missed by all true fans who love this sport of ours.

Thanks for the memories Ivan, may you rest in peace.

I've just heard a short Interview on Radio Humberside with Ivan's old Hull team mate Ian Drury in which he recounts a story about how Ivan was in the intercontinental Final at white city and wanted not to win it but come 4th as this would give him a better draw at the world final. It was that sort of thing that made him the rider he was

RIP Ivan

R.I.P Ivan of all the top riders in the 70s for some reason he had a special aura about him, I still remember the disappointment in the 78 World Final when he came off. I was convinced I was going to see him become World Champ again. A special rider. I remember the story above 

One, if not the greatest rider speedway has ever seen!

Not the most naturally talented but his desire, commitment, work ethic and overall attitude was far, far superior to anyone elses!

Todays ultra professionalism was started by Ivan Mauger!

Ivan Mauger’s biography was one of the best sporting biographies I have ever read. Started with nothing and through sheer force of will ambition and drive became the best rider ever to mount a speedway bike. from running six miles to Plough Lane to save money but also to get fitter to working out where he would have to finish at qualifying rounds of the world championship to gain the best advantage for the World Final itself. The first few chapters of his biography should be a must read for ANY aspiring sportsperson. Condolences to all the Mauger family; first and foremost a husband and father but a name which people who are not necessary Speedway fans recognised. We will never see his like again. RIP Ivan.

• Like 2

Been out all day and just got online to see this news. A terribly sad day for the speedway world. Having watched my own Dad go through the same thing at the end of his life I have to believe this is a release for the great man, but that won't feel like much comfort to his family today. Condolences to them, and RIP Ivan. A genuine legend.

• Like 1

Ivan totally changed the fortunes of Newcastle Speedway in the early 60's. He burnt up the Aussies during the winter, and we could not believe that Mike Parker would go for him and get his signature. Not only that, but Ivan asked for and got passages to the UK for him, Raye and the 3 children for which Ivan was forever grateful for. He always respected Parker for it, money was never a problem between them, but his desire to reach the top split them apart. After his first WC with the Diamonds, there followed moves to Belle Vue, Exeter and of course Hull. 

He never forgot the Diamonds, getting his main mechanic Gordon Stobbs from us and his wife Margaret, who were with Ivan and Raye for the rest of his career and afterwards. He always showed his interest in fellow Kiwi's, visiting us every year especially when Mark Thorpe and David Bargh were riding for us. He usually came up unannounced when he came over for the WSRA dinners, appearing after the start and disappearing before our meeting finished after seeing everyone he knew.

In 2010 he came up for his book signing, and I asked him and Gordon if it was possible for Ivan to visit my training school on the Sunday afternoon. He already had 4 events to attend but Gordon said he would do his best. Sure enough, halfway through the session in walks Ivan and Gordon, and he proceeded to give advice and take over the rest of the session. Photos are on the Newcastle Training group Facebook page, as well as some individuals who have posted their photos  on their own Facebook pages. The early signs of his illness were there the previous evening, when Raye kept Ivan  on script with his great stories. 

We will never see such a great rider as him again, although Tony Rickardsson came pretty close.

RIP IVAN, the rider that changed speedway for the better  

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

Sheene, Knievel and Mauger. 

If you grew up in the 70's you couldn't help but love motorcycles thanks to those three gods.

Its an honour to be able to follow the Diamonds and see where one of those Legends was born.

Rest In Peace

• Like 1

Very sad news. Ivan Mauger one of the true icons of our sport. I never saw him ride but have seen the footage of the old world finals  particularly those behind the old iron curtain in Poland. His legacy will never be forgotten . 

14 minutes ago, Rob B said:

What a simple and great tribute to the best speedway rider of all time. Sincere condolences to his family R I P Ivan

• Like 2