British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Ivan Mauger on British tracks?

Remember the 'British Track Records' feature that made for an interesting thread on here last year, and which formed the basis of features in Backtrack and Classic Speedway, with Jimmy Squibb out in front as the man who rode at the most number of UK speedway venues?

Well, it would be interesting to present a list of every BRITISH track that Ivan Mauger has appeared on (excluding training schools) in pukka league, cup, challenge meetings, or at least a match-race or solo track demo watched by paying spectators.

Anyone want to start putting together a definitive list....!

It will be interesting, because there are his Southern Area League outings for Eastbourne to consider too.

My fear with this is, however, is that he made so many one-off appearances, especially match races on BL2/NL tracks in the 70s and 80s, that it would be easy to overlook one.

Anyway, food for thought.

Thank you.

• Like 1

An obscure entry but Ivan won a meeting at York Stadium, Green Hammerton, near York in 1982. It was essentially a shale-surfaced trotting track and I recently visited to view Harness Racing which was quite interesting for a first visit!

DSC_0151_2.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sharpandroid said:

The trotting track is up for sale i believe, complete with a house.

...thought I hadn't seen any publicity lately as I drive along the A59 towards Harrogate.

Aldershot, Ballymena, Barrow, Belle Vue Hyde Road, Birmingham Perry Barr, Bristol Eastville, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Exeter, Glasgow White City, Glasgow Hampden Park, Glasgow Blantyre Stadium, Hackney, Halifax, Hull, Ipswich, King’s Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, New Cross, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Tilehurst, Reading Smallmead, Rye House 1 (1957 track), St Austell, Sheffield, Southampton, Stoke Hanley, Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, White City, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington

47 tracks listed, can anyone add to these?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sotonian said:

Edinburgh Powderhall in 1985.

Thanks, I didn't know whether he actually rode in the Farewell to Scotland meeting, so that makes 48 (so far).

Many thanks, BL65 and Sotonian.

I recall reading somewhere that Ivan met Scott Autrey in a match-race series at Paisley. Perhaps someone could please confirm this and also add one or two other BL2/NL tracks to the list...

35 minutes ago, tmc said:

Many thanks, BL65 and Sotonian.

I recall reading somewhere that Ivan met Scott Autrey in a match-race series at Paisley. Perhaps someone could please confirm this and also add one or two other BL2/NL tracks to the list...

The match race against Autrey at the Festival of Paisley meeting on 14th May 1975 can be added to the list.

• Like 1

We have now had it confirmed that Ivan faced Peter Collins in match-races at Ellesmere Port in 1975, and against PC again at Peterborough in the late 70s (anyone know the dates of these?).

He rode match-races at Berwick v Jimmy Mac in 1980.

At Canterbury in match-races v Barney Kennett and Dave Gooderham in June, 1974.

Pretty sure you can add Bradford Odsal to the list. There was a meeting on August 3, 1957, between Bradford Juniors and London Juniors. The results show one of the Londoners as "Ivan Maugham", but I figure that should read "Mauger".

I don't know if this would count, but Ivan won the Golden Eagle Trophy on the 680 yard track at Motherwell in 1972.

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Pretty sure you can add Bradford Odsal to the list. There was a meeting on August 3, 1957, between Bradford Juniors and London Juniors. The results show one of the Londoners as "Ivan Maugham", but I figure that should read "Mauger".

I don't know if this would count, but Ivan won the Golden Eagle Trophy on the 680 yard track at Motherwell in 1972.

Steve

I agree that it was Ivan Mauger at Bradford on August 3, 1957.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmc said:

We have now had it confirmed that Ivan faced Peter Collins in match-races at Ellesmere Port in 1975, and against PC again at Peterborough in the late 70s (anyone know the dates of these?).

He rode match-races at Berwick v Jimmy Mac in 1980.

At Canterbury in match-races v Barney Kennett and Dave Gooderham in June, 1974.

Ivan beat Jim McMillan 3-0 at Berwick on the night of the Bordernapolis meeting, 12th July 1975, before a crowd of 4,600.  He beat Peter Collins 2-1 at Ellesmere Port on 15th July 1975, when the attendance was double the normal figure.  Ivan's appearance at Canterbury was on 22nd June 1974, the night of the meeting against Bradford.

Edited by BL65
Updated
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

I agree that it was Ivan Mauger at Bradford on August 3, 1957.

He also rode for NZ at Odsal in the WTC qualifier - the first meeting on the revamped Bradford track - on May 12, 1985. Was that his last COMPETITIVE appearance on a UK track (excluding match-races, testimonials and farewells)?

What was his FINAL appearance on a UK track - would it have been his own farewell meeting at Belle Vue at the end of '85?

3 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

We're not including Motherwell - classified as a longtrack meeting.