British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Ivan Mauger on British tracks?

2 hours ago, BL65 said:

Ivan beat Jim McMillan 3-0 at Berwick on the night of the Bordernapolis meeting, 12th July 1975, before a crowd of 4,600.  He beat Peter Collins 2-1 at Ellesmere Port on 15th July 1975, when the attendance was double the normal figure.  Ivan's appearance at Canterbury was on 22nd June 1974, the night of the meeting against Bradford.

Bordernapolis 1975 or 1980?

1 hour ago, tmc said:

He also rode for NZ at Odsal in the WTC qualifier - the first meeting on the revamped Bradford track - on May 12, 1985. Was that his last COMPETITIVE appearance on a UK track (excluding match-races, testimonials and farewells)?

What was his FINAL appearance on a UK track - would it have been his own farewell meeting at Belle Vue at the end of '85?

I reckon:

Last races on a UK track:  His match-races at the Golden Greats at Coventry in 1988.

Last appearance on a UK track: The very last four laps of Exeter in 2005.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tmc said:

Bordernapolis 1975 or 1980?

According to the Speedway Star report match races were definitely staged on 12th July 1975.

• Like 1

We now just need the dates and meeting titles for meetings at Peterborough and Stoke in the 70s that both featured Ivan in match-races.

The one at Peterborough was against Peter Collins and we've been told on Facebook that it was "in the late 70s".

On 20/04/2018 at 7:59 AM, steve roberts said:

An obscure entry but Ivan won a meeting at York Stadium, Green Hammerton, near York in 1982. It was essentially a shale-surfaced trotting track and I recently visited to view Harness Racing which was quite interesting for a first visit!

DSC_0151_2.jpg

image.png.eea61be3cabb2e77907f2286bf3acd7f.png

- courtesy of defunctspeedway.co.uk:

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/York Long Track (Nun Monkton).htm

I remember the year as being 1980 as I couldn't go for some reason....

• Like 2

On 21/04/2018 at 6:50 PM, BL65 said:

Aldershot, Ballymena, Barrow, Belle Vue Hyde Road, Birmingham Perry Barr, Bristol Eastville, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Exeter, Glasgow White City, Glasgow Hampden Park, Glasgow Blantyre Stadium, Hackney, Halifax, Hull, Ipswich, King’s Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, New Cross, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Tilehurst, Reading Smallmead, Rye House 1 (1957 track), St Austell, Sheffield, Southampton, Stoke Hanley, Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, White City, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington

47 tracks listed, can anyone add to these?

Off the top of my head (busy at work !) + Wembley Stadium & Wembley Arena....

We now just need the dates and meeting titles for meetings at Peterborough and Stoke in the 70s that both featured Ivan in match-races.

The one at Peterborough was against Peter Collins and we've been told on Facebook that it was "in the late 70s". Someone else posted to say it was "1976". Anyone got Peterborough progs from that season to verify, plse?