British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Thursday night speedway at swindon

Poole only proposed Wednesdays (rather than Thursdays) when there was an impasse at the AGM because 2 Championship clubs -I assume Ipswich and Redcar - threatened not to run if they weren't allowed Thursdays!!

Thursdays have always been Poole's official 'rain-off' day so no issues for them.

I would have assumed that those negotiating the fixed nights would have ensured that the Thursday CL teams were in agreement and prepared to change their race days or, move up to the PL, before they agreed Monday and Thursday for the UK PL with the FIM. It would appear that either, they didn't do that or, the CL teams reneged on the agreement and we ended up with Wednesday when Denmark have precedence. Whatever the circumstance you can't blame Swindon. 

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jeffster said:

Thoughts ?

A certain south coast promoter ballsed it up !

Colin Pratt went on record in the Speedway Star to say that it was had been agreed with the ISL (International Speedway League, a body that formulates fixtures between the UK, Poland, Sweden and Denmark) that the UK would move to Monday and Thursday for racing at Elite League level...

Hey Presto, at the next BSPA meeting, The Pirate one kicked up a fuss, and it became Monday and Wednesday !

Your thoughts on guests doesnt stack up, either  - Dont forget that a speedway meeting needs TWO teams, so, should any of Swindon's opposition need a guest, they also have a bigger pool to pick from on Thursdays !

You couldn't be more wrong.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Poole only proposed Wednesdays (rather than Thursdays) when there was an impasse at the AGM because 2 Championship clubs -I assume Ipswich and Redcar - threatened not to run if they weren't allowed Thursdays!!

Thursdays have always been Poole's official 'rain-off' day so no issues for them.

The Premiership should have gone Monday - Thursday allowed the Championship clubs to also run those night's but they'd have to forego the priority rights to rider's signed up to Premiership clubs.

With the Premiership the flagship league they should always hold the priority regardless of assets etc.

• Like 3

There will never be a good solution to it & it will be interesting what happens to Swindon next season if they are told Thursday’s are out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sugarray said:

You couldn't be more wrong.

Really ?

Odd that Colin went on record in the Speedway Star then, and that the Star printed it....

15 hours ago, Aces51 said:

I would have assumed that those negotiating the fixed nights would have ensured that the Thursday CL teams were in agreement and prepared to change their race days or, move up to the PL, before they agreed Monday and Thursday for the UK PL with the FIM. It would appear that either, they didn't do that or, the CL teams reneged on the agreement and we ended up with Wednesday when Denmark have precedence. Whatever the circumstance you can't blame Swindon. 

I think it is more a case of Britain claiming Monday and Thursday as all of the other race nights were already taken, rather than there being any meaningful discussion about their feasibility.

2 hours ago, jeffster said:

Really ?

Odd that Colin went on record in the Speedway Star then, and that the Star printed it....

Well other promoters who attended have a different account.

You can keep blaming Poole though bet they don't mind.

On 19/04/2018 at 11:05 AM, MattK said:

For years, various people, fans, promoters etc. said that fixed race nights wouldn't work in Britain because clubs didn't own their stadiums and that availability is limited. This was despite the obvious advantages that fixed race nights offered in terms of reducing clashes and potentially encouraging back the top riders.

Last year we saw the BSPA actually grasp the nettle and actually make a positive decision. Monday and Wednesday was always the most obviously choice as it mean limiting disruption to both Premiership and Championship clubs, however given that not all clubs own their stadiums and that availability is limited is was unlikely all clubs would be able to achieve this from day one.

I think the solution, to allow Swindon to race half their home meetings on a Thursday, while all other clubs move to the fixed nights is the ideal compromise for the first season of fixed nights. Hopefully over time Swindon will be able to reach an agreement to allow us to fall in line with the rest of the league.

In terms of advantage, as Grachan says, this is available to both teams, so Swindon will have no more of a pool than their opponent.

On 19/04/2018 at 10:38 AM, Grachan said:

Everyone should have been riding on Thursdays. That was the day that was set to be reserved for British racing but everyone else went with Wednesday because they are Ipswich and Poole's poodles.

Incidentally, their opposition on a Thursday will also have more choice of guests if needed, so where's the advantage?

Don't think it had anything to do with compromise or curly haired dogs, more like the 11 championship clubs out voting the 8 Premiership clubs ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, womble53 said:

Don't think it had anything to do with compromise or curly haired dogs, more like the 11 championship clubs out voting the 8 Premiership clubs ;)

Lakeside not included at that time

Peterborough didnt attend

Leicester/Sheffield would be a block vote and hold the balance of power between the 2 divisions (if there were a straight split)

On 4/21/2018 at 7:15 AM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Lakeside not included at that time

Peterborough didnt attend

Leicester/Sheffield would be a block vote and hold the balance of power between the 2 divisions (if there were a straight split)

b/vue also got no vote !!

2 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

According to one of the Belle Vue fans Facebook pages crowds are well down so far this season. Well it is what you would expect isn't it?

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/85588-agm/&do=findComment&comment=3058761

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/84872-bt-sport-coverage/&do=findComment&comment=3054688

There was a dramatic drop in crowds at the dog track when they switched from Friday to Monday, even Tony Mole couldn't make Mondays work at Belle Vue!

Extensive research was done to establish the best nights for speedway in the early planning for the new stadium, Monday was the worst option by a huge margin.

You only have to look at the only Monday night track before this season to confirm the futility of running on a Monday, that club only uses a little terrace on the home straight (the same model Belle Vue use for The Colts!) and they can't even fill that!

We already know that wolves have a desperate financial position, I expect at least one of the teams forced to run on the graveyard night will not be running on a Monday next season.

It was never going to be easy to pick fixed nights to suit everyone but having worked with the Danes (if they did?) to enable Wednesday's they should have worked with the poles and the Fri CL teams to allow Fridays leaving Thursday as an 'off night' option. 

I predicted Mondays wouldn't work and it seems I may be right again.

Oh dear, here we go again, I really don't know where you get this idea that Wolves have a desparate financial position. Okay, so we didn't go for Freddie this year. This was partly due to his high average and partly to do with the uncertainty over the BT coverage. If anything crowds have been noticeably up over the first couple of meetings, I suggest you worry about your own team and stop spreading malicious rumours without foundation. Desparate financial position no, astute financial management yes

On 4/25/2018 at 5:19 PM, Call me wolfie said:

Oh dear, here we go again, I really don't know where you get this idea that Wolves have a desparate financial position. Okay, so we didn't go for Freddie this year. This was partly due to his high average and partly to do with the uncertainty over the BT coverage. If anything crowds have been noticeably up over the first couple of meetings, I suggest you worry about your own team and stop spreading malicious rumours without foundation. Desparate financial position no, astute financial management yes

If Friday night's were an option and all clubs could race on said night, then I wonder if all clubs would see an increase in attendance.

11 minutes ago, hyderd said:

If Friday night's were an option and all clubs could race on said night, then I wonder if all clubs would see an increase in attendance.

There may be particular circumstances why that may not be true for some teams and of course it is not an option for some because of their landlords but generally I have no doubt that Friday would be more successful. The entertainment industry has always operated on the basis that Fiday and Saturday are their busiest days and many feel the need to offer incentives to try to attract people during the week and particularly on Mondays.

However, to accommodate Friday we would have to use only riders prepared to commit to giving priority to the UK.

Edited by Aces51

3 hours ago, Aces51 said:

There may be particular circumstances why that may not be true for some teams and of course it is not an option for some because of their landlords but generally I have no doubt that Friday would be more successful. The entertainment industry has always operated on the basis that Fiday and Saturday are their busiest days and many feel the need to offer incentives to try to attract people during the week and particularly on Mondays.

However, to accommodate Friday we would have to use only riders prepared to commit to giving priority to the UK.

That's exactly what UK speedway needs - riders prepared to commit to giving priority to the UK

Bring on the 'British League',  teams to ride on the nights of their own choice and every week