British Speedway Forum
therefused

Kings Lynn V Poole 25/04/18

1 hour ago, Trees said:

The fans don't turn up if there is any chance of a rain off so it has to be off imo. Lynn fans come from a 50 mile radius, speedway needs dry weather :(

As for covering the tracks, they are just too big for covers to be a success so we'll just have to put up with the pariah of Speedway! 

That’s a bit of a poor comment the tracks are to big for covers they manage ok abroad the best ones are at Vojens all segmented and lets face it all clubs have had enough tv money to purchase them but have decided to blow the money in other quarters 

• Like 1

You might in the restaging SS, but they was ours tonight :P

10 minutes ago, 5 FURROW said:

That’s a bit of a poor comment the tracks are to big for covers they manage ok abroad the best ones are at Vojens all segmented and lets face it all clubs have had enough tv money to purchase them but have decided to blow the money in other quarters 

Does Vojens stage weekly speedway with stocks car, drifting etc etc in between? 

Rain now blowing in, getting heavier. One mile from track. Looks like the call was a good one.

Edited by TooMuchGrip
add text

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Another sensible call off. Everyone knows where they stand.

The problem of course comes if they run out of dates when they could have run a meeting in damp conditions in front of a reduced crowd......

The other problem then is running three or four times in a fortnight to cram meetings in to meet play off deadlines, and running in front of reduced crowds due to the cost of so many meetings so close together, and riders missing due to their countries getting priority for meetings being ran over there on the same night as the re-staging over here....

Who'd be a Speedway Promoter?:D

Right decision. Yesterdays rain had a lot to do with the call off i suspect.

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The other problem then is running three or four times in a fortnight to cram meetings in to meet play off deadlines, and running in front of reduced crowds due to the cost of so many meetings so close together, and riders missing due to their countries getting priority for meetings being ran over there on the same night as the re-staging over here....

Who'd be a Speedway Promoter?:D

People could do what we have done and put our money for tonights' called off meeting in a pot to help cover costs of more than one meeting if it comes to that. After last years fiasco with damp conditions when Poole were at Lynn, we do not want to go down that road again lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Right decision. Yesterdays rain had a lot to do with the call off i suspect.

Why that???    We in Wisbech had plenty of rain yesterday,  but this morning the roads and garden were dry.  and apart from a few scattered showers today has been OK.   I am in no doubt the reason the meeting has been called off,  is not the track,    but mainly due to the affect the iffy weather would have on the attendance.   But personally I think its a false economy.    You cant compare like for like, and assume the weather will be better when the re-arranged fixture is played.    Buster called off meetings  last year  early,   when they could have raced,  resulting in 2 double header that were financial disasters.    This is the fifth Lynn meeting  this year to be cancelled,  and some how they have all to be re-arranged in a hectic schedule.   Probably it would have been better financially to have persevered with tonight then trying to fix extra meetings in later on in the season.   

Double headers are a financial lost,  and planning 2 meetings in a week is always asking a lot of the fans.      Bearing these points in mind,  probably tonight's weather is not as bad and some seem to think.

Am I right to assume every time we have a suspect forecast the meeting will be cancelled?       If that's the case than we may as well pack it in now .....

Is Wisbech about 14 miles from the stadium? Grass soaks up rain a lot better than a hard speedway track.

Star Lady lives close to the stadium.Probably the best to comment on the weather over the last 2 days..

10 hours ago, poole keith said:

think starman and lisa have to understand the difference between rider parade,practice laps and a hot lap,did either of you ever go to the Ace of Aces? after all the rider presentation before the first race the top six names came out for one flying lap for a prize,think it was called the backaurene!!or something

If its like the Poacher up in Lincolnshire it's possibly the bahnrekord which I believe roughly translated from German is road or in this case track record 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Is Wisbech about 14 miles from the stadium? Grass soaks up rain a lot better than a hard speedway track.

Star Lady lives close to the stadium.Probably the best to comment on the weather over the last 2 days..

2 miles from the track is close enough I think:D

We had a week or more of hot dry weather, so presumably the water table went down a bit. There was heavy prolonged rain most of yesterday, I don't think there was much, if any, overnight There have been a couple of sharp showers today and one about 15-20 mins early evening. 

Five or so years ago there would have been no question that the meeting would have gone ahead and been reasonable competitive but times/engines/riders have changed and the latter certainly don't like the damp. I can see where promoters are coming from nowadays in that financially to call off early might be wise but as g13webb says the meetings have to be fitted in later in the season, with the associated financial implications.

It's a dilemma and one I'm delighted I don't have to wrestle with.

My ideal answer would be to detune the bloody engines so that racing is reliant on rider skill, including the skill to ride in most weather conditions,  but I realise it's a pipe dream. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

Why that???    We in Wisbech had plenty of rain yesterday,  but this morning the roads and garden were dry.  and apart from a few scattered showers today has been OK.   I am in no doubt the reason the meeting has been called off,  is not the track,    but mainly due to the affect the iffy weather would have on the attendance.   But personally I think its a false economy.    You cant compare like for like, and assume the weather will be better when the re-arranged fixture is played.    Buster called off meetings  last year  early,   when they could have raced,  resulting in 2 double header that were financial disasters.    This is the fifth Lynn meeting  this year to be cancelled,  and some how they have all to be re-arranged in a hectic schedule.   Probably it would have been better financially to have persevered with tonight then trying to fix extra meetings in later on in the season.   

Double headers are a financial lost,  and planning 2 meetings in a week is always asking a lot of the fans.      Bearing these points in mind,  probably tonight's weather is not as bad and some seem to think.

Am I right to assume every time we have a suspect forecast the meeting will be cancelled?       If that's the case than we may as well pack it in now .....

You obviously didn't see the rain at 18:45 then.The roads were under water,it absolutely hammered down.

• Like 1

Right decision to call tonight's meeting off. Anyone who says otherwise is either stupid or just likes to argue.

40 minutes ago, tellboy said:

You obviously didn't see the rain at 18:45 then.The roads were under water,it absolutely hammered down.

My Post wasn't about the amount of rain,  but the dilemma of cancelling meeting and the implication it creates.    Thinking sometimes it might be better to  gamble with the weather  then automatically cancel the meeting.     Weather forecast  vary tremendously from area to area, and nobody know 100%  how the night might pan out.       Rye House gambled tonight  and  ran their meeting,     Belle Vue gambled on Monday and completed their meeting,      What I said was     PROBABLY  we could have done the same...