British Speedway Forum
therefused

Kings Lynn V Poole 25/04/18

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Does Vojens stage weekly speedway with stocks car, drifting etc etc in between? 

No and you know that Vojens don’t race weekly I was just saying a big track is no excuse they have them in Poland and they race weekly but what a surprise you defending the promotion as I’ve said they and meaning all top flight clubs have had enough money over the years to sort this problem and they have all avoided doing it and there is no intention of any of the covering there tracks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5 FURROW said:

No and you know that Vojens don’t race weekly I was just saying a big track is no excuse they have them in Poland and they race weekly but what a surprise you defending the promotion as I’ve said they and meaning all top flight clubs have had enough money over the years to sort this problem and they have all avoided doing it and there is no intention of any of the covering there tracks 

But why, is it because they aren't a great success, most tracks haven't the infrastructure to deal with the water, most promoters don't have access to their tracks to put them on and off, let alone staff?  Most tracks don't have a structure to attach them to on the outside of the track so the rain doesn't seep under? There are loads of negatives? Of course if they don't take them off at just the right time and if the rain doesn't stop at just the right time? Are they worth the cost and effort? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, g13webb said:

My Post wasn't about the amount of rain,  but the dilemma of cancelling meeting and the implication it creates.    Thinking sometimes it might be better to  gamble with the weather  then automatically cancel the meeting.     Weather forecast  vary tremendously from area to area, and nobody know 100%  how the night might pan out.       Rye House gambled tonight  and  ran their meeting,     Belle Vue gambled on Monday and completed their meeting,      What I said was     PROBABLY  we could have done the same...

Well imo Buster has got all 3 home matches spot on with calling them off.I don't like matches postponed as i work shifts and hate missing the speedway.All 3 home matches postponed at home this season have been when i'm not on shift too:(those are the breaks i suppose.

The problem is the bikes. They produce the power so high up the rev range, as riders want speed over usability.. . Todays bikes are way faster ,but once they hit a bit of grip, the revs drop, the rear grips and they take off.

Back in the 80's when i was a teenager, me and my mate used to reverse the car up to the outer fence at Lynn, open the boot and stand and have a look at the track on a wet day . We could only see the 3rd and 4th turn, but sometimes some of it was under water at 2pm. Come 7.30 they had pumped the water off and the meeting was on .How times change.

Edited by Bald Bloke

11 hours ago, Trees said:

Does Vojens stage weekly speedway with stocks car, drifting etc etc in between? 

What has that got to do with anything ? If the promotion was willing  to buy and use track cover they would be used sadly they are not willing - they along with all others have had tv money and used it on other things there choice so we put up with rain offs not a problem . 

10 hours ago, g13webb said:

Why that???    We in Wisbech had plenty of rain yesterday,  but this morning the roads and garden were dry.  and apart from a few scattered showers today has been OK.   I am in no doubt the reason the meeting has been called off,  is not the track,    but mainly due to the affect the iffy weather would have on the attendance.   But personally I think its a false economy.    You cant compare like for like, and assume the weather will be better when the re-arranged fixture is played.    Buster called off meetings  last year  early,   when they could have raced,  resulting in 2 double header that were financial disasters.    This is the fifth Lynn meeting  this year to be cancelled,  and some how they have all to be re-arranged in a hectic schedule.   Probably it would have been better financially to have persevered with tonight then trying to fix extra meetings in later on in the season.   

Double headers are a financial lost,  and planning 2 meetings in a week is always asking a lot of the fans.      Bearing these points in mind,  probably tonight's weather is not as bad and some seem to think.

Am I right to assume every time we have a suspect forecast the meeting will be cancelled?       If that's the case than we may as well pack it in now .....

So we can’t fit in 14 fixtures?  Going back to the days when we ran on Saturday nights with a meeting every week from March to October we had no problem- if we can’t fit in 14 meetings this sport really is doomed - right call last night 100% though we’d already made our minds up not to attend before the call off as weather not settled enough the weather needs to be dry with no chance of rain for us to attend. 

• Like 1

Going back in time offers little comparison as todays sport cant be compared as you as doing.     Back then, UK had total dominance of the sport and riders were always available.  Now we are 4th in the pecking order and any re-arranged matches have to correspond with other schedules.    The reason the BSPA elected to go with said race nights was because of the problems with fixture clashes.   Looking at our planned fixture calender, we are fast running out of dates for these re-arranged matches, and that's providing other countries leave them free to use.  

As per normal, I try to look at the bigger picture when making comments, and it is for these reasons I post my views.      I hope Buster can sort out these new dates  that will enable us to race with a full team.  Also, I hope we don't get any more rain on racenights causing more cancellations.     But unfortunately,  I'm not too confident on either.....

4 hours ago, Haza said:

What has that got to do with anything ? If the promotion was willing  to buy and use track cover they would be used sadly they are not willing - they along with all others have had tv money and used it on other things there choice so we put up with rain offs not a problem . 

I think some kind of track covers need to be found that are easy to put out and to put away.With the sheets that have been used in the past you would need a few people to help with the job in hand.With the British weather you may need people that are willing to help at anytime,are these people available all the time,i suspect not.Most of the helpers at the stadium i think have other jobs.

• Like 1

No problem with dates, stick in a couple of double headers during the school hols.

Start the first at 7pm.... Speedway Bonanza.   Bish bosh bash. Speedway fans are the winners.  Got to be better than running on a cold Oct night with no sod there and guests coming out in every heat

Edited by semion

45 minutes ago, semion said:

No problem with dates, stick in a couple of double headers during the school hols.

Start the first at 7pm.... Speedway Bonanza.   Bish bosh bash. Speedway fans are the winners.  Got to be better than running on a cold Oct night with no sod there and guests coming out in every heat

Preferably - a double header with two different teams to race against. If not you could have a double header V Rye House  and V Rye House ( and two weeks later the same again ) in the summer is a good idea but carefully plan the opposition to make it interesting.

17 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

A shame it’s off but probably the right call. But it changes very little. We will just get the points when it’s restaged.

;)

Lol

But to be fair, even Leicester managed an away win last year

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

I think some kind of track covers need to be found that are easy to put out and to put away.With the sheets that have been used in the past you would need a few people to help with the job in hand.With the British weather you may need people that are willing to help at anytime,are these people available all the time,i suspect not.Most of the helpers at the stadium i think have other jobs.

Much the same was said about an air fence I seem to remember we had the Oxford air fence the club wanted helpers to put the fence up and down not many if any fans came forward to help so the fence wasn’t used the fence sat there not being used while riders crashed into the stock car fence John Oliver being one who had a very serious injury  - air fences became compulsory so we had to get one and use it - track covers should be the same make them compulsory at least for the top league .

Edited by Haza

32 minutes ago, Haza said:

Much the same was said about an air fence I seem to remember we had the Oxford air fence the club wanted helpers to put the fence up and down not many if any fans came forward to help so the fence wasn’t used the fence sat there not being used while riders crashed into the stock car fence John Oliver being one who had a very serious injury  - air fences became compulsory so we had to get one and use it - track covers should be the same make them compulsory at least for the top league .

As regards the air fence,helpers will know when they will be needed in advance.With the track covers,who knows when they would be needed that is in the hands of the good old British weather.Don't get me wrong i'm all for track covers.If there was a way of putting them down with minimal labour i'm sure it could happen,but of course cost will always get in the way.

Edited by tellboy

8 minutes ago, tellboy said:

As regards the air fence,helpers will know when they will be needed in advance.With the track covers,who knows when they would be needed that is in the hands of the good old British weather.

At the moment track covers needed for every meeting as the weather is - also would help to keep tv meetings on - obviously if it rains at start time covers wouldn’t help . Never mind track covers  will never happen as tv cash has been spent on other things 

2 minutes ago, Haza said:

At the moment track covers needed for every meeting as the weather is - also would help to keep tv meetings on - obviously if it rains at start time covers wouldn’t help . Never mind track covers  will never happen as tv cash has been spent on other things 

Must admit i don't know how much tv money clubs got or what it was spent on.I have only seen what has been speculated on here which is normally far from the truth:rolleyes: