British Speedway Forum
therefused

Kings Lynn V Poole 25/04/18

This really is a catch 22 situation for any promoter really. Yes, it can be called a good decision because IF it does rain then it will be proven to be correct but also IF it doesn't then Chapman will be sitting there with a very red face. A few miles away from the track and so far we've had a couple of short, sharp showers today, so as it stands right now then the track would be fine.

Dont like this cancelling meetings just because there COULD be some rain later though.......  It rains a lot in this country and if every time there is a little bit of a "dodgy" forecast they are going to cancel a meeting many hours ahead of the start time then they are going to find that there will be a lot of meetings to squeeze into a very short time period at the end of the season!

Looks like Lynn and Chapman have gone from one extreme to another with their rain call offs! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Raining steadily now, just for the doubters amongst you:P

Not raining here 6 miles away, bright sunshine!!!! But you could be now having the short sharp shower we had 15 mins ago, I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Badge said:

Might also be a good way of prolonging the season beyond July,  for some clubs, with less scheduled meetings this year:unsure::lol:

The extension could be good for Poole and give them some meetings to have when the playoffs are taking place.  :wink:

• Haha 2

Well, we've just a had a LONG sharp shower this time, so it looks like the decision this time was the correct one to be fair. 

Problem is it must be very costly and time consuming to start hosting a meeting that doesn't go ahead. Very difficult one to call. It's not like the promoters want to turn money away but I can see why they call it early. 

Costly to call off a meeting, costly to run a meeting with iffy weather, as numbers would be down and not to mention the damage you could do to your customer base going forward (oops I mentioned it)

The fans don't turn up if there is any chance of a rain off so it has to be off imo. Lynn fans come from a 50 mile radius, speedway needs dry weather :(

As for covering the tracks, they are just too big for covers to be a success so we'll just have to put up with the pariah of Speedway! 

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

The extension could be good for Poole and give them some meetings to have when the playoffs are taking place.  :wink:

Good news having meetings rained off when we are not riding well, hopefully plenty of meetings when we are flying.

Edited by foreverblue

Then the sun came out, and now it's black over Will's mothers.

who'd be a promoter:o

With the amount of rain offs we have had BT certainly made a good call in deciding not to televise any meetings until June 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Star Lady said:

Then the sun came out, and now it's black over Will's mothers.

who'd be a promoter:o

I rang Buster and told him I couldn't make it tonight and if there is a chance of a rain off as I don't want to waste my refund on last seasons double header on fuel, he said no worries!

1 hour ago, Trees said:

The fans don't turn up if there is any chance of a rain off so it has to be off imo. Lynn fans come from a 50 mile radius, speedway needs dry weather :(

As for covering the tracks, they are just too big for covers to be a success so we'll just have to put up with the pariah of Speedway! 

I'd been a strong campaigner in the past for track covers, so I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Trees. Easily done with tarpaulin sheets and not at a great cost either when the investment is spread over future years too.

If it's going to pee it down after 7 o'clock though, nothing you can do about that and the meeting will be lost anyway but quite often meetings are cancelled due to excessive rain in the days building up to the meeting which could be prevented.

• Like 2

A shame it’s off but probably the right call. But it changes very little. We will just get the points when it’s restaged.

;)