British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedflash

New shale

9 hours ago, speedflash said:

Now that the weather has been a little better and things are drying out nicely I am laying down some new shale for next weeks meeting.

This new material is a blend of clay and shale 70/20  20% being the clay content. This should change everything and get the racing lines back after a meeting or two to mix it up with the current surface.

Glyn

Always good to here from people who are actually involved with the sport. This track lark isn't as easy as many ,including me thought..

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Always good to here from people who are actually involved with the sport. This track lark isn't as easy as many ,including me thought..

It's just a shame the promotion doesn't have the bollocks to talk about it publicly. 

15 hours ago, speedflash said:

Now that the weather has been a little better and things are drying out nicely I am laying down some new shale for next weeks meeting.

This new material is a blend of clay and shale 70/20  20% being the clay content. This should change everything and get the racing lines back after a meeting or two to mix it up with the current surface.

Glyn

What is the current blend? Are you still using Breedon?

6 hours ago, BurntFaceMan said:

It's just a shame the promotion doesn't have the bollocks to talk about it publicly. 

Middlo did at the press conference and to us afterwards.  

16 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Middlo did at the press conference and to us afterwards.  

I didn't stay for the press conference. I did read the Daily Echo the next day though and there was plenty of quotes from Middlo but not a single word about the track.

Cheers Glyn, always helpful to get an insight. Hope it works out for you. I know there’s usually a certain amount of knockabout on a Poole thread, but the better the surface, the better for the spectator and the sport in general.

3 hours ago, Fourentee said:

Cheers Glyn, always helpful to get an insight. Hope it works out for you. I know there’s usually a certain amount of knockabout on a Poole thread, but the better the surface, the better for the spectator and the sport in general.

To be fair give him the equipment and he will sort it.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 9:21 AM, speedflash said:

Glyn

Hello Glyn

In your Leicester days I think you once said that you were doing a majority clay mix, because the riders preferred it.  Am I remembering that right? If so, why is it now the reverse at Poole? 

1 hour ago, speedflash said:

If you use a lot of clay you need good drainage. Poole has no drainage at all.

Starman said there is.... He said:

" It does make a difference Steve. We have two drains that go direct to the sea. When the tide is high moisture comes up on the track especially turn 3, when its low it dries out very quick in the summer. its not an old wives tale mate. Ask John Hector and Glyn."

12 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Starman said there is.... He said:

" It does make a difference Steve. We have two drains that go direct to the sea. When the tide is high moisture comes up on the track especially turn 3, when its low it dries out very quick in the summer. its not an old wives tale mate. Ask John Hector and Glyn."

Steve who's steve ?. carry on building your sandcastles, leave the speedway to those who know. Clearly you dont read posts. Stick to Somerset.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Steve who's steve ?. carry on building your sandcastles, leave the speedway to those who know. Clearly you dont read posts. Stick to Somerset.

It's a quote of yours replying to Steve Shovlar on a different thread. I have read the posts and that's what is confusing. Glyn says there is no drainage and you're saying there is - you can't both be right.

9 minutes ago, Najjer said:

It's a quote of yours replying to Steve Shovlar on a different thread. I have read the posts and that's what is confusing. Glyn says there is no drainage and you're saying there is - you can't both be right.

As i said, im not going over it again. You can never use high content of clay on our track. We have two drains going out to the sea and apparantly french drains,, but the tide offsets the drainage and if it P's down it makes it even worse.. In the [summer]  its dries very quickly reguardless off the tide, in the spring and autumn its different, im not going to explain why. Glyn understands that. Years ago i would go and get bags of clay dust for john from wilks to mix/grade into the track, that worked very well, you can put it on but you cannot take it off. Glyn knows what he's doing and he's had only 2 meetings to prepare it properly, even then its been touch and go due to our crappy weather  he will work it out. Now im saying no more on the subject. i have no need to.

Edited by Starman2006

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

As i said, im not going over it again. You can never use high content of clay on our track. We have two drains going out to the sea and apparantly french drains,, but the tide offsets the drainage and if it P's down it makes it even worse.. In the [summer]  its dries very quickly reguardless off the tide, in the spring and autumn its different, im not going to explain why. Glyn understands that. Years ago i would go and get bags of clay dust for john from wilks to mix/grade into the track, that worked very well, you can put it on but you cannot take it off. Glyn knows what he's doing and he's had only 2 meetings to prepare it properly, even then its been touch and go due to our crappy weather  he will work it out. Now im saying no more on the subject. i have no need to.

Thanks for that - but all of that is irrelevant to the original confusion.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 1