British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Wolverhampton v Poole. Prem A. 23/4/18

I will be happy enough coming away tomorrow night with a point. If our gating continues over from last Wednesday Wolves will be filling their boots.

Current form, you'd expect a 10pt ish win for Wolves but with the Pirates - who knows? Worryna and Scambleman have had good and bad rides.  Holder and Kurtz likewise.

I'm sure Poole will want to bounce back from their suprise home loss as soon as possible!  Weather has been very hot - so the track may well be more watered than usual.

Mon' you Wolves!

8 minutes ago, superguest said:

Current form, you'd expect a 10pt ish win for Wolves but with the Pirates - who knows? Worryna and Scambleman have had good and bad rides.  Holder and Kurtz likewise.

I'm sure Poole will want to bounce back from their suprise home loss as soon as possible!  Weather has been very hot - so the track may well be more watered than usual.

Mon' you Wolves!

Im sure we willl... ;)

11 hours ago, g13webb said:

Such a precise track that gives the home side a massive advantage.    Although most teams are fairly equal in strengths,  some will always find Monmore track difficult to master.   Poole have never performed well here, but have the personnel to put up a strong showing.   I don't rate Wolves as strong as some others do,  and feel  riding at home covers up their weaknesses.   Thorsell, Masters an Schlein  are good heat leaders  at home,   but all are beatable away.   Howarth is the jewel in the crown who is capable of beating most when it maters.   I'm going for a home win, but wont be surprised if Poole sneak a point......

I don't get this 'such a massive home advantage' bit that is often trotted out. Did we have such a great advantage in the lean years when we were losing for fun (not for the supporters) and adrift towards the bottom?

The riders we currently have and have had the past couple of seasons have built up some good home advantage. 

However I do find it odd that some of those riders who  might struggle now rode it very well in the those lean years. ;)

• Like 2

Rain coming in tomorrow evening could be the winner. Hope they get on with it at 7.30 prompt and avoid an interval if it’s looking iffy.

10 hours ago, stevebrum said:

I don't get this 'such a massive home advantage' bit that is often trotted out. Did we have such a great advantage in the lean years when we were losing for fun (not for the supporters) and adrift towards the bottom?

The riders we currently have and have had the past couple of seasons have built up some good home advantage. 

However I do find it odd that some of those riders who  might struggle now rode it very well in the those lean years. ;)

Merely a layman's opinion,  but to the eye Monmore has a unique shape that requires a different approach than other tracks. .   Always well prepared, it has long straights and tight corners this create many problems to unexperienced riders.   The difference we have at Lynn is that most riders like to come here and race. 

Our home advantage is very little.  That's not a moan, merely an observation.    I actually enjoy evenly contested matches, even when we lose.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Merely a layman's opinion,  but to the eye Monmore has a unique shape that requires a different approach than other tracks. .   Always well prepared, it has long straights and tight corners this create many problems to unexperienced riders.   The difference we have at Lynn is that most riders like to come here and race. 

Our home advantage is very little.  That's not a moan, merely an observation.    I actually enjoy evenly contested matches, even when we lose.    

always like heat 15 when both teams can still win the meeting if we lose so be it . a point for poole at monmore will be as good as we are going to get nice to be proven wrong ?

Wolves is a unique shape, the team contains riders who ride it very well and they very rarely lose at home so they very much do have a good home advantage.

However the majority of the riders in the league have ridden it enough to know how to  get round it quickly, the difficulty is going there twice a season against good riders who ride it twenty odd times a year. It's good to have different tracks in the league, variety is good for the Premiership. They are all there to be ridden.

• Like 1

Threat of rain has now thankfully disappeared for this evening so no stress there anymore.

Wolverhamptons trick track has been discussed litterally hundreds of times but it will still be the same trick track there to be ridden tonight.

Bagpuss is on the money when he says the difficulty is only riding it twice a season compared to the home riders. The home advantage is massive and easily the biggest in the premier league. Still, we come to try and win even though it will be very difficult.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

The racing at Monmore is often very good so win or lose its good to watch. Riders generally like riding at Wolves although there are some that apparently struggle with the tight turns.

58 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Wolves is a unique shape, the team contains riders who ride it very well and they very rarely lose at home so they very much do have a good home advantage.

However the majority of the riders in the league have ridden it enough to know how to  get round it quickly, the difficulty is going there twice a season against good riders who ride it twenty odd times a year. It's good to have different tracks in the league, variety is good for the Premiership. They are all there to be ridden.

We have lost at home plenty during the lean years of the past 15 years or so! I would still say that it's a good home advantage track that there is no denying. However I have seen some Wolves teams over the years that haven't adapted that home advantage and lost several at home. Thankfully not in the past few seasons tho. 

1 hour ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Another battering. Wolves by a mile. Might as well not turn up and give them the 3 league points.

Said no actual fan ever...

JT and Kyle took a good few years to master Monmore. People assume it happems overnight. Many teams have won when we've had young inexperienced riders. The management have learnt to go with more safer options since!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, superguest said:

Said no actual fan ever...

JT and Kyle took a good few years to master Monmore. People assume it happems overnight. Many teams have won when we've had young inexperienced riders. The management have learnt to go with more safer options since!

It doesnt happen overnight, quite right. Magic admitted to me he hated Wolverhampton, but once he won his first race he was away. Its pretty much all in the mind.
Kyle Newman mastered it pretty quickly  and i was very suprised that Wolves didnt come in for him..