British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle vue -V- Rye House 23.04.18

3 hours ago, Col said:

Really?  I remember a 16 year old Joe Screen visiting Dudley Wood & Monmore a few weeks after his 16th Birthday.  The sport has moved on from then admittedly, in terms of professionalism and I haven't seen much of Bewley.  Then again, what ultimately became of Joe Screen?

He discovered pies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, poolebolton said:

Think Bewley might get a ride in Poland over Cook at this rate. 

still knocking craig cook i see :lol:

7 hours ago, Col said:

Really?  I remember a 16 year old Joe Screen visiting Dudley Wood & Monmore a few weeks after his 16th Birthday.  The sport has moved on from then admittedly, in terms of professionalism and I haven't seen much of Bewley.  Then again, what ultimately became of Joe Screen?

What ultimately happened to Joe Screen - he retired after an excellent career where he entertained 1000s of people here and abroad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nw42 said:

He discovered pies.

He went to the dogs, I'm afraid.......

http://www.daresburyboarding.co.uk

Get your pooch booked in.

If you mention you are a speedway supporter you might get a discount!

35 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:
What ultimately happened to Joe Screen - he retired after an excellent career where he entertained 1000s of people here and abroad. 

Not knocking Joe Screen, but he never reached the heights I expected when I first saw him ride.

30 minutes ago, Col said:

Not knocking Joe Screen, but he never reached the heights I expected when I first saw him ride.

ok, but he did become world u-21 champion in 1993 and appeared in the Grand Prix from 1996-2001 finishing 6th in 1999. Not many Englishmen have achieve that, particularly in recent years.

Edited by SharpenRake
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ray c said:

still knocking craig cook i see :lol:

I don’t like Cook. Would happily admit that. 

Just never really have. 

7 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

I don’t like Cook. Would happily admit that. 

Just never really have. 

I bet that he will be gutted if he ever finds out :unsure:..

8 hours ago, Col said:

The key word is professionalism with Joe, he always struggled with his weight for example and I don't think he applied himself in a way off track with lifestyle choices that were detrimental to making the most of his talent. Don't get me wrong, im not saying Dan is going to be another PC or Mort, that's a big comparison, im saying he is the best natural talent we have had (BV) since those two. Promising riders in the past have failed to progress as expected but the one thing Dan has behind him is a good team with the knowledge and ability to keep his feet on the ground, hes a level headed lad. Steve Lawson is a good mentor. 

This meeting reminded me of Rye’s trips to Sheffield when regulary got a battering with comments like ‘ you need a very quick engine at Sheffield’

Bewley said: “It was an excellent meeting. I’d like to thank Mark Lemon and Max Fricke for talking me into Heat 15. Initially I didn’t really want to do it and risk my maximum.

“But I’m really glad I did it and I got to race against, and beat, Krzysztof Kasprzak. It was quite a special experience to pass him on the line, like he did Darcy Ward to win a GP some years ago.”

From speedwaygb website, definitely supports the idea of him being level headed. 

Nice to see from Max Fricke too,  he has been brilliant so far both home and away. 

• Like 1

Watched Woffinden for 2 seasons at Rye and he was the finished article at a very young age.

Dan I believe arrived later to Speedway but he has improved each year and it’s now just confidence that’s needed to go to higher level.

29 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

I bet that he will be gutted if he ever finds out :unsure:..

Hahahah. 

Sure everyone has a rider they aren’t too fond of. 

I thought the rain before the meeting was going to spoil it last night and it took a few races to start to turn over and move out the top dirt. Not one of the best meetings at the NSS but some very good races.

KK was the only rider to impress for Rye and they were certainly weakened by the absence of Kennett and Robson. Nicholls and Harris were disappointing. They both had one good race, so showed they had the speed and I hope it was just a bad night. If not, Rye are going to struggle away from home unless changes are made.

A solid team performance from all of the Aces, everyone did their job, there were no weak links and it was good to see Tungate back to form and Fricke shepherding Etheridge for a 5-1 after Jye had passed Harris. 

Dan Bewley, what can you say. You can't compare him to Collins, Morton, Woffinden, Screen or even Lambert because, unlike them, he had no experience of riding speedway from a young age. He had his first competitive race just two years ago and in that time his progress has been exceptional.

Edited by Aces51

I find all this embarrassing. Rye House have always been a second tier club running on weekends and have done pretty well too. Now we are running again on an unfamiliar night and given the side we are putting out the crowds will dwindle. Harris Robson and Nicholls have hardly set the Second tier alight and at this level are the basis of a side that will get mauled every time away from home. We didn’t make the playoffs last year, we have learned nothing from team building last season and  the current side would struggle against Championsip teams. Even down to no team Kevlar we look a second rate club going nowhere and have a stadium that has gone backwards since the BMR mob moved in. Fans wanted Silver out and now they have what they wished for

• Like 2