British Speedway Forum
soupy

British u21 final Berwick may 1st 7pm

Lambert,Bewley,Greaves first three IMO

• Like 1

On 28/04/2018 at 10:34 AM, Bagpuss said:

Thing is if Shanes' German commitment was in the diary before the BSPA got their act together with a date for this I can't blame him at all, especially if it's decent money over there.

I would have thought the British U21 Championship Final trumps any German Longtrack meeting every time clash or no clash.

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

I would have thought the British U21 Championship Final trumps any German Longtrack meeting every time clash or no clash.

It’s called keeping your word,you sign a contract when there’s nothing in the UK Calendar, and you honour that Contract, even when the BSPA change a Venue and date for a meeting 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Completely agree, surely a national championship should take priority, though from a Berwick perspective if this gets Leon Flint into the meeting proper then happy days.

Looking at the line up on Berwick website someone else would would have to pull out to let Leon in.Wouldnt be surprise if that happened though.Could be a decent meeting ,pity it is a Tuesday but these things happen .

27 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Looking at the line up on Berwick website someone else would would have to pull out to let Leon in.Wouldnt be surprise if that happened though.Could be a decent meeting ,pity it is a Tuesday but these things happen .

I agree as Tuesday`s meeting will almost entirely rely on local support to get any kind of decent attendance, I wonder if it was considered where if you attended the meeting on Tuesday you would get some kind of discount for the Workington meeting next weekend as three home meetings in seven days will be stretching things for many fans, especially those with families.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you but until recently the final was to be at Birmingham on a Wednesday was it not? 

Guest GiveusaB
32 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you but until recently the final was to be at Birmingham on a Wednesday was it not? 

No... Final was always scheduled for a Tuesday... it's just the date that has changed, due to the weather!?

Birmingham could've hosted the meeting (Tuesday) if it had been fixtured for this week originally ! (Let's not go there eh ? ....)

Long story short Shanes has signed a lucrative contract to race in Germany and will be honouring that. Likily to earn more than one nights speedway plus ongoing as likily to sign contracts to appear year on year. No doubt he would want to do both meetings but cannot. Sadly it leave the field looking very top heavy with Lambert & Bewley but i think if anyone is going to upset the power duo it might be Zach Waj

44 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

No... Final was always scheduled for a Tuesday... it's just the date that has changed, due to the weather!?

Birmingham could've hosted the meeting (Tuesday) if it had been fixtured for this week originally ! (Let's not go there eh ? ....)

Indeed, let's not go there. Anyway, the bottom line is that the date has changed. In an ideal world Shanes would ride but he is a multi discipline motorcyclist who has a prior commitment and he can't be blamed for sticking with that really. 

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Indeed, let's not go there. Anyway, the bottom line is that the date has changed. In an ideal world Shanes would ride but he is a multi discipline motorcyclist who has a prior commitment and he can't be blamed for sticking with that really. 

He is also an ACU licence-holder.     The British U21 title is (arguably) the ACU's second-most-important domestic title event on their calendar  and as we have seen overseas riders disappear from British-contracted meetings on the instructions of their own federation with monotonous regularlity, we have to wonder why the ACU cant find the cojones to say he should race at Berwick.

We must also sincerely hope that the ACU's nominations to the World U21 process reflect tomorrow's finishing order, and riders who miss this event are not offered any back-door entry........

Agree with much of that, certainly don't think he should get a back door pass to any World U21 events. As I Saud, in an ideal world he would ride but I can also understand why he would honour a prior commitment abroad.

31 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

He is also an ACU licence-holder.     The British U21 title is (arguably) the ACU's second-most-important domestic title event on their calendar  and as we have seen overseas riders disappear from British-contracted meetings on the instructions of their own federation with monotonous regularlity, we have to wonder why the ACU cant find the cojones to say he should race at Berwick.

We must also sincerely hope that the ACU's nominations to the World U21 process reflect tomorrow's finishing order, and riders who miss this event are not offered any back-door entry........

Is he obliged to enter as a condition of his licence being granted?

52 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Is he obliged to enter as a condition of his licence being granted?

I have heard the same, I am surprised he isn’t told to ride at Berwick by the authorities or risk a suspension.

It isn't too long ago that David Bellego declined to travel to the depths of Russia for a meaningless Euro qualifier, saying he wanted to stay in UK and ride at Berwick.   French authorities immediately suspended him worldwide for 48 hours, meaning he did neither.   

Sadly, ACU don't seem blessed with the ability to back their own major events. 

Edited by crescent girl