British Speedway Forum
soupy

British u21 final Berwick may 1st 7pm

5 hours ago, Ned Kelly 41 said:

What happened to the live streaming we were promised by the BSPA anyway?

They done you a favour. Nothing of note happened. A freezing night with a predictable outcome. The only surprise was Dan Bewley trailing in last in the final. An instantly forgettable meeting unless you’re a member of the Lambert family. 

14 minutes ago, Shadders said:

They done you a favour. Nothing of note happened. A freezing night with a predictable outcome. The only surprise was Dan Bewley trailing in last in the final. An instantly forgettable meeting unless you’re a member of the Lambert family. 

Positive as always I see 

• Like 1

Decent meeting on a slick track, probably so because of the grey skies overhead. Robert Lambert head and shoulders above everybody else and fantastic to see him going round the boards at Shielfield. Some of the racing a bit strung out, but you will get that with differing standards of riders involved. Could have been a couple of nasty accidents, Wajtknecht tangling with Jack Thomas, then Alfie Bowtell in the semi, thankfully neither was as serious as could have been.

As was pointed out in the programme, the fact that there were semi-finals this year for the first time for a while shows that there are a good few riders coming through at this age level.

Always a bit of a buzz when your home track gets to host a shared event. Decent crowd there as well, given it was a midweek meeting. On a par with most meetings. 

• Like 1

Racing was dissapointing track was slick and dusty, Lambert never looked like losing, Ruddick done well winning his last two, Mountain done well in semi and final but didn’t look that brilliant in his 5 2nd places in main meeting tbh. Suprised with Bewley not getting 2nd but 95% of tonight was ftg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, penchev said:

Positive as always I see 

I say it as I see it. Obviously you’re happy to have a prestigious event on your home track, but there was hardly a pass of note and some pretty strung out racing. Not much to be positive about really. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Racing was dissapointing track was slick and dusty, Lambert never looked like losing, Ruddick done well winning his last two, Mountain done well in semi and final but didn’t look that brilliant in his 5 2nd places in main meeting tbh. Suprised with Bewley not getting 2nd but 95% of tonight was ftg

Bewley slowed down at the first bend when Greaves and Mountain almost hit each other and lost momentum,as you say mostly from the gate on a slick dusty track not a memorable meeting apart from the class of Lambert.Hope the track is prepared differently for Saturday night to provide better racing.

17 minutes ago, Shadders said:

I say it as I see it. Obviously you’re happy to have a prestigious event on your home track, but there was hardly a pass of note and some pretty strung out racing. Not much to be positive about really. 

The chuckle brothers just like to see the bikes out on track, the racing is irrelevent to them. The fact Berwick stages this meeting is all that really matters, sod the fact it sounded boring as sin lol.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, emilali said:

The chuckle brothers just like to see the bikes out on track, the racing is irrelevent to them. The fact Berwick stages this meeting is all that really matters, sod the fact it sounded boring as sin lol.

We've gone from teletubbies to chuckle brothers. I'm honoured.

• Haha 1

Congratulation to Robert Lambert on an impressive showing.  He seems to have started this season on top form.  He can only get better as he races against the very best...

I do hate this format where someone could go through the card and still lose the final race.    Surely it would be much better to add those final points to the ones gained in the heats  to recognise the true champion on the night, rather then the one who just wins that solidary final....  

Conner coming 2nd  illustrates how bizarre it is ,  He never won a race, yet  Bewley  won 4 races and was only placed 4th.....    

Edited by g13webb
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, jenga said:

live stream . they cant even make the rules up without cooking that up !

That is their best collective skill - cooking or even cocking up things. Why announce the technological breakthrough ( ha ha ) of a live stream broadcast and then fail totally to even mention that it's been cancelled! If it was cancelled. perhaps they just forgot? I hoped it would lead to other events being made available at a reasonable cost. The BSPA must be preparing to move into the 21st century ( in a few years time )

59 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Congratulation to Robert Lambert on an impressive showing.  He seems to have started this season on top form.  He can only get better as he races against the very best...

I do hate this format where someone could go through the card and still lose the final race.    Surely it would be much better to add those final points to the ones gained in the heats  to recognise the true champion on the night, rather then the one who just wins that solidary final....  

Conner coming 2nd  illustrates how bizarre it is ,  He never won a race, yet  Bewley  won 4 races and was only placed 4th.....    

It's pretty much the format used in all major competitions. These riders have to get used to it if they want to get anywhere in the sport. What it does show is how riders handle pressure and these young riders need that experience.

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I have said this for a good few years now. How can a rider go through the card unbeaten and then have to race off for the title !! this happened to Robert two years ago at Sheffield if my memory serves me right. Went through the card unbeaten, no one else on 15 points and then having to race again, heartbreaking for the lad. I have always told him he was still champion in our eyes as he rode superb to beat the rest of the riders. 

I have watched speedway since 1964 and back in the day unless there were two riders on same points who had to race off the rider with the most points won the title, simple !!

Guest GiveusaB

No wonder we cant attract 'new' supporters ???

The best of British Under 21 talent and not a pass all night by sounds of it???

The BSPA are just happy to tick a box, full-fill a fixture and sod the entertainment value.....

Clubs/tracks who provide a 'passable', 'race-able' surface (regardless of location/division) should be rewarded with these 'main' events imo....

Just as well it wasn't shown on live TV ?

Yawn yawn yawn

It’s a WWE style of manufactured excitement. Speedway is generally very very boring and rather than look into changing that they just tag on a win takes all final. The heats last night felt like a box ticking exercise to get us to the semi and final. It was a truly awful experience.