British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Normski

Berwick Bandits v Lakeside Hammers. Championship 28/4/18

Why should clubs give unneeded detail to stuff just to satisfy a bunch of keyboard warriors?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, marko said:

Why should clubs give unneeded detail to stuff just to satisfy a bunch of keyboard warriors?

Because without the "keyboard warriors" there would be less clubs.

• Like 1

On 1 May 2018 at 4:46 AM, Stainlesssteelride said:

If Lakeside had put out an accurate statement to start off with, none of this would have taken place.  

They did put out an accurate statement. They said Richard was unavailable due to illness , which was true. They didn't say it was his illness. The problem arises because half wits like you start reading things that aren't there  and start stirring it.

Riders are human like everybody else. In all honesty if a family member of a speedway rider or anyone else is taken I'll suddenly would you seriously expect a statement giving any more than the most basic information? The bloke  has enough on his plate without the gossip mangers casting aspersions .

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Because without the "keyboard warriors" there would be less clubs.

No , without the paying public there would be less clubs. The paying public and keyboard warriors are not necessarily one and the same, especially as several of those poking their noses into this issue wouldn't be going through the turnstiles in this match if Richard was riding. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

They did put out an accurate statement. They said Richard was unavailable due to illness , which was true. They didn't say it was his illness. The problem arises because half wits like you start reading things that aren't there  and start stirring it.

Riders are human like everybody else. In all honesty if a family member of a speedway rider or anyone else is taken I'll suddenly would you seriously expect a statement giving any more than the most basic information? The bloke  has enough on his plate without the gossip mangers casting aspersions .

I don`t see the Lawson illness being the issue, be it his illness or his nearest and dearest, the issue is should Lakeside have been granted a guest facility.

38 minutes ago, screm said:

I don`t see the Lawson illness being the issue, be it his illness or his nearest and dearest, the issue is should Lakeside have been granted a guest facility.

I  agree. It's just that stailnlesssteeride was saying it was Lakeside's fault for not giving a proper statement.

Whether  a rider should be given a facility for a family members illness, I suppose depends on who the family member is and what the illness is.

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Questioning the position was perfectly acceptable given the specific change in the regulation over the winter concerning riders missing meetings due to illness

The statement wasnt (in hindsight) inaccurate but that is only confirmed now that the full facts have come to light

It was certainly not half witted to do so particularly given the regular ongoing manipulations that are sadly endemic in the sport

It would be naive to take on face value the statement from almost any club in the land!!

5 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It would be naive to take on face value the statement from almost any club in the land!!

It's also a bit stupid to read something into a statement that isn't there.

5 hours ago, E I Addio said:

It's also a bit stupid to read something into a statement that isn't there.

But it was there!

The statement was 'Lawson misses Berwick due to illness'

The reg states 'non speedway injury - 7 day suspension from day of meeting'

Therefore it wasnt naive or stupid to question the fact that the suspension was not invoked

The statement maybe wasnt inaccurate but certainly was incomplete and open to scrutiny

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

But it was there!

The statement was 'Lawson misses Berwick due to illness'

The reg states 'non speedway injury - 7 day suspension from day of meeting'

Therefore it wasnt naive or stupid to question the fact that the suspension was not invoked

The statement maybe wasnt inaccurate but certainly was incomplete and open to scrutiny

The rules actually say if the rider is sick or carrying a non - Speedwáy injury,  they say nothing about serious illness or emergencies involving a close family member, thus Richards situation is not covered by the rules, and there is therefore no entitlement to apply an automatic suspension. 

Obviously the rules cannot cover every conceivable situation, but it's fair and reasonable that in a domestic crisis the MC should make a judgement call, taking into account the clubs position. 

In any event it's daft to blame Lakeside for not giving more details in what was essentially a private matter, but it still comes back to people not properly reading what is written in the Lakeside statement and the rules. Of course, there are occasions when there is manipulation of the rules and mis-statements, usually when a club on the South Coast is involved but some fans are no better when they jump to conclusions then blame a statement or rule they haven't read properly.

I'm surprised you mention reading of rules properly, as you clearly haven't done so yourself for this forum, as calling someone a half wit is clearly against them.

Edited by Kitykat

So the rule says if the rider is sick or carrying a non speedway injury and the statement from lakeside said that he was missing due to illness... that clearly gives fans a right to question it...

• Like 1

If you want to question the rules or there application I suggest writing to the SCB directly.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

The rules actually say if the rider is sick or carrying a non - Speedwáy injury,  they say nothing about serious illness or emergencies involving a close family member, thus Richards situation is not covered by the rules, and there is therefore no entitlement to apply an automatic suspension. 

Obviously the rules cannot cover every conceivable situation, but it's fair and reasonable that in a domestic crisis the MC should make a judgement call, taking into account the clubs position. 

In any event it's daft to blame Lakeside for not giving more details in what was essentially a private matter, but it still comes back to people not properly reading what is written in the Lakeside statement and the rules. Of course, there are occasions when there is manipulation of the rules and mis-statements, usually when a club on the South Coast is involved but some fans are no better when they jump to conclusions then blame a statement or rule they haven't read properly.

The regs do indeed make no mention of serious illness or emergencies relating to family members and I agree therefore do not cover Richatds situation

Equally Lakesides statement makes no  mention either and so was incomplete and open to scrutiny

It didnt need to give details but just be accurate. It implied his illness was the reason. It shouldve explain it was compassionate dispensation.

No one wouldve argued with that or demanded further information in those circumstances

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The regs do indeed make no mention of serious illness or emergencies relating to family members and I agree therefore do not cover Richatds situation

Equally Lakesides statement makes no  mention either and so was incomplete and open to scrutiny

It didnt need to give details but just be accurate. It implied his illness was the reason. It shouldve explain it was compassionate dispensation.

No one wouldve argued with that or demanded further information in those circumstances

As Jenga correctly pointed out nearly a week ago it is not Lakeside's job to inform the world about riders private lives. The facility was agreed by Berwick and approved by the meeting referee. Even after the reasons for Richards absence were made clear on this thread you were one of those who posted that there should be no facility or a 7 day suspension, and stailnlesssteeride was questioning whether compassion actually came into it as if there was something more underhand involved. However much information clubs give or don't give, there will always be those that question it.

Arguably the piecemeal way information is disseminated by the BSPA doesn't help the situation but that's not the clubs fault.

• Like 1