Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Buxton v Brummies Sun 29th Ap NT

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, WembleyLion said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs this is typical Speedway these days I'm afraid - so glad I couldn't be bothered to make the 270 mile round trip although I was briefly tempted but then I recalled all the times I've been done over for Speedway in the past and opted to stay indoors!

 

300 mile trip for nowt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not happy what I’m hearing about Buxton refusing to rerun the meeting, would they please comment. This can’t be true surely.

yes I’m a brummie fan , but I also attend both stoke and Buxton regularly as I’m a sad midland speedwây nut, but if this is fact I’m sorry not another penny will pass into the hands of this promotion, and I think a few other travelling supporters will take the same action. 

Plus comments like track would have been fine after 4/5 heats.....sorry, ain’t track supposed be ready to race at heat one. If in doubt meeting should have been called off way before to prevent unnecessary travel.

 

Edited by 1962saddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any club that Laurence Rogers gets involved with will never run smoothly. The man is a bad apple and Birmingham Speedway should get rid off him before he drags them down.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest GiveusaB
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jayne said:

It was your riders that convinced the referee to change his mind.  Nothing wrong that a few heats wouldn't have fixed. 

I'm sure Laurence Rogers will post his side of things asap ????

Edited by GiveusaB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

More importantly , do you have a plan for reimbursing the guy who posted earlier, who  stated he wouldn't be able to make any re-arranged meeting?

The plan is set by the BSPA not individual clubs and is standard throughout the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans can usually get a refund by post if a meeting is postponed. Does Buxton do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes clubs have a moral duty to do the right thing, regardless of any rules implemented by the BSPA.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't there so difficult to comment.

 

However the Buxton side of the story seems to contain no facts and only accusations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jayne said:

The plan is set by the BSPA not individual clubs and is standard throughout the sport.

Surely that cant be legal to take someones money not give anything in return and then refuse to give that money back 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand Jayne's frustration at having to call off a meeting on what was a reasonably fine afternoon, but I think the suggestion that it was because the Birmingham team refused to ride is an exaggeration! The Birmingham riders I spoke to were not happy with the condition of the track and did not think that there was sufficient time to put it right, but they would have been prepared to give it a go if the referee had decided to go ahead with the meeting. The referee's comment that he "did not like what he had seen" after Tom Woolley had ridden a few laps and in my opinion, had looked increasingly uncomfortable on both bends, was made in my presence, and the bottom line is that it was he who called the meeting off - not Birmingham nor Buxton.

This was my first visit to Buxton. I enjoyed the trip and the scenery and although I was naturally disappointed not to see some racing, the events of the day have not put me off the thought of future visits there. I feel that Buxton were the unlucky victims of unfortunate circumstances. My opinion is that the postponement was the correct decision, but I look forward to my next Buxton visit and wish the club well for the future. I'm sorry that the events of the day have created so much ill-feeling and hope that on reflection, both sides will calm down a little when the dust settles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

I can understand Jayne's frustration at having to call off a meeting on what was a reasonably fine afternoon, but I think the suggestion that it was because the Birmingham team refused to ride is an exaggeration! The Birmingham riders I spoke to were not happy with the condition of the track and did not think that there was sufficient time to put it right, but they would have been prepared to give it a go if the referee had decided to go ahead with the meeting. The referee's comment that he "did not like what he had seen" after Tom Woolley had ridden a few laps and in my opinion, had looked increasingly uncomfortable on both bends, was made in my presence, and the bottom line is that it was he who called the meeting off - not Birmingham nor Buxton.

This was my first visit to Buxton. I enjoyed the trip and the scenery and although I was naturally disappointed not to see some racing, the events of the day have not put me off the thought of future visits there. I feel that Buxton were the unlucky victims of unfortunate circumstances. My opinion is that the postponement was the correct decision, but I look forward to my next Buxton visit and wish the club well for the future. I'm sorry that the events of the day have created so much ill-feeling and hope that on reflection, both sides will calm down a little when the dust settles.

You enjoyed the trip and the scenery? Good God. If you're an example of the tiny remnant of speedway's extant fan base, no wonder the sport's clubs get away with treating their few remaining customers so badly. You're either pathologically supine or a sandwich short of a picnic. I wouldn't care to hazard which.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I was embarrassed to be a Birmingham supporter, The Track was not Perfect, but how many Tracks are ?, It was much better than Perry Barr was against Coventry earlier this Season, yet again rider power gets a Meeting called off, Speaking to a current Referee who was Present informed me what a disgrace that the meeting was called off, No rain, Perfect vision, this is another nail in the coffin of British Speedway, Mr Rogers and some of your riders hold your heads in shame, I say some as the 3 I spoke to were more than happy to ride.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jayne said:

It was your riders that convinced the referee to change his mind.  Nothing wrong that a few heats wouldn't have fixed. 

It took only half a heat at the Swindon v Leicester meeting, which did go ahead in dodgy conditions, for two very experienced and skillful riders to be injured in a fall, one of of which was a very bad injury. Coming out with that last statement shows a callous disregard for the health and wellbeing of young riders far less experienced and far less skillful than those who already came a cropper in similar circumstances.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, screm said:

According to this it was only Tom Wooley that was sent out, either way the supporters of both teams have ended up short changed and out of pocket, something that happens far to often in speedway these days.

http://www.birminghambrummies.co/news.php?extend.2610

 

4 hours ago, screm said:

And heres the other side of the sad story.

http://worldspeedway.com/buxton-speedway-hitmenunhappy-at-postponment/

 

Lots of pointy finger posturing that does the sport no good whatsoever...assuming that there's still anyone around to take any notice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jayne said:

The plan is set by the BSPA not individual clubs and is standard throughout the sport.

What a cop-out

Ever heard the term "ex-gratia"? Ever heard of treating exceptional circumstances on their individual merits?

Buxton seem to be sour about this afternoon because there was probably a huge financial loss made. No wonder another few quid in the post is such an unpalletable prospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy