British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Team Suits and/or Race Jackets

6 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I would say it gives Najjer plenty of knowledge. 2000 is nearly 20 years ago, and the points he makes are very valid.

Yes, speedway was more succesful in the 1970s, but it was a different time. Were speedway the same now as it was in the 1970s it would look so dated that it would attract even lower crowds than it does now.

Team suits are one of the positives of this faltering modern era. The 70s hsve long gone, as have the trends of that time. Life moves on and speedway needs to move with it.

Speedway died with the warcry.

3 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Speedway died with the warcry.

Can you imagine what the younger generation would think of a bunch of old fogies doing "2, 4, 6, 8 Who do we appreciate.. R O B I N S Robins......"?

My 14 year old son enjoys speedway. I bet that would soon put him off!

• Like 1

Seriously, though, the discussion is about race suit vs race bibs and that the modern fans like the suits more, as it represents the team ethic much better. But then they don't mind members of their team racing for other teams here, there and everywhere.

6 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Seriously, though, the discussion is about race suit vs race bibs and that the modern fans like the suits more, as it represents the team ethic much better. But then they don't mind members of their team racing for other teams here, there and everywhere.

It's more than just the team ethic, it's everything. It looks cool, it's the image, it's the brand. If there is one thing the powers that be don't get (and trust me, there is a lot that they don't get) it's branding.

I've never known a sport to be so out of touch with the modern era. 

Ideally both, but most suits don't match or show the correct number.  Eastbourne changed their club colours to suit their sponsor, fair enough if helps keep their club in business, but the suits don't even have a logo or 'Eagles' on the front....

• Like 2

On 5/29/2018 at 9:57 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT Sky wanted to make it easier to tell one team from another. It's a team sport. Just imagine if footballers all wore different outfits.

Phil, imagine if footballers jetted across Europe playing for other clubs, and then also turned out in the lower leagues in this country. Wouldn't happen - so why should speedway allow it? It's because it's gone too far now, so the comparison between speedway and football is silly. One is a professional sport, the other lives up to the circus image many in the press regard it as.

KNOW what you are saying but footballers can earn a top wage at one club. What about cricketers who play for all sorts of teams around the world.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

KNOW what you are saying but footballers can earn a top wage at one club. What about cricketers who play for all sorts of teams around the world.

Didn't know that about cricketers - do they play for different teams in the same week, as riders do. If it's off-season over here and they play elsewhere, it isn't as bad.

I know footballers earn a decent living and don't need any more work (apart from endorsements), but if speedway wants credibility it has to stop riders spreading themselves too thinly. It wasn't so bad in the olden days, with tracks having two or three individual meetings to supplement riders' earning power, the rider was riding for themselves wasn't really a problem. But open meetings became unpopular and riders after that began racing in foreign leagues and multi-teaming in this country. 

The only thing that'll stop this is for it to be cut out. But that'll never happen now. So the sport will consider drifting, in my opinion.

Edited by moxey63

i've said it before but race suits HAVE to be the best option right now for identifying riders/teams.

so many riders are now (rightfully) wearing a neck brace which seems to cover the logo/sponsor/team name, i think there needs to be a re-think over designs again so sponsors don't get fed up when their name is covered up

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Najjer said:

I can't wait to see Kane in a green shirt at the World Cup, Dele Ali in a yellow one and Lingard in a blue one... with an England bib over the top. We'd be a laughing stock.

All I see here after reading this thread is people who watched speedway in the 70s and 80s "it was better in our day". Marketing is massive nowadays and it makes sense that it is better to market something that looks more professional than a multicoloured jigsaw puzzle.

I started supporting Speedway back in 1964. 54 years ago.

I am 100% with moxy63 on this one. If I thought that race suits had brought anything positive to the Sport I would agree with najjer. To my mind it hasn't, what it has done is remove a sense of colour from the Sport. There is no 'Little Boy Blue', 'The White Ghost', The' Red Devil' these days - they all look the bloody same.

Change to suits has done nothing but remove a sense of identification with Riders. It has sanitised the Sport in a way that has removed any sense of individuality.

You ask why there are no characters in Speedway like there was in the past - I am not saying that Race Suits caused lack of characters, but they are a contributory factor. The Riders are no longer allowed to show any  individuality. Individuality was how the Characters emerged.

By the way - Speedway WAS better in our day and that is without rose tinted spectacles.

• Like 3

In my day bloody hell i am old i loved to see riders show there own personalities the leathers often showed that.The biggest five  for me over the years were  Ivan,  Booey boy  Blue,   Red devil Broady,  Alan Cowland  and as always John Davis now John Davis would be great in this era a real showman great with the younger fan and was always professionally turned out.People think the 70s/80s were backward times but the monkey mask went  black leathers went and new helmets come in which at the time was massive.I think this myth about the sport being miles behind the times is nonsense the main thing is get the PRODUCT right (i.e. the entertainment factor and the racing.

• Like 1

I've followed the sport since the mid 50's and I prefer team suits. They present a more professional image and a team identity. It's not by any means the most important issue facing speedway now but if you were starting afresh and intending to present a modern image team suits would be a part of it.

• Like 2

Whilst not intending this as a slight on Coventry Storm, oops, I mean Bees, or any other NL team, Eastbourne and Birmingham really looked the part in their team race suits. Eastbourne even had matching green boots!

14 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Didn't know that about cricketers - do they play for different teams in the same week, as riders do. If it's off-season over here and they play elsewhere, it isn't as bad.

Actually, yes some do. From memory, James Tredwell was playing one day cricket for Kent and was allowed to play championship cricket for Sussex at the same time.

The ECB are about to launch a new competition that will take place during the county season and will include the top 25% of county pros playing for another arbitrary team in addition to their counties.

Edited by OldRacer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Grachan said:

Can you imagine what the younger generation would think of a bunch of old fogies doing "2, 4, 6, 8 Who do we appreciate.. R O B I N S Robins......"?

My 14 year old son enjoys speedway. I bet that would soon put him off!

...funny, though, that fans have no problem singing inane chants at football matches.