British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Team Suits and/or Race Jackets

On 3/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Ipswich taking it one step further

Not only matching race suit but fully co-ordinated bike covers also

Yes I think they look great, they look a professional outfit just like it should be.   The Poole lot looked terrible last year.

15 minutes ago, Dornier fixer said:

Yes I think they look great, they look a professional outfit just like it should be.   The Poole lot looked terrible last year.

As well as Somerset and the Championship clubs who didnt bother.

• Like 2

Personally yes i think it would/should be great if all clubs had team kevlars it just has to be listed as part of the contract /signing on fee. As a rider you are expected to wear this design kevlar every match, here is £5-600 go get them made to the design we specify. If you wish to spend more that's your own choice. Its not rocket science to be honest.

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Personally yes i think it would/should be great if all clubs had team kevlars it just has to be listed as part of the contract /signing on fee. As a rider you are expected to wear this design kevlar every match, here is £5-600 go get them made to the design we specify. If you wish to spend more that's your own choice. Its not rocket science to be honest.

In Poole's case that would/ could be 14 x £500-600 :blink: :P

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

So just to be clear on what you are saying - sponsors will be attracted if the team is all decked out in matching stuff?!  Would they still be attracted if the team languishes at the bottom of the league?! No disrespect to Ippo - just asking.......!

Someone has to be bottom :)

Of course a team towards the top will be more attractive than one lower down due to it being natural to want to link to success and greater TV exposure etc

I stand by the claim that higher profile sponsors would expect that type of professional set up rather than a rag bag of different coloured suits and bibs with different sized and style detachable numbers etc

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Someone has to be bottom :)

Of course a team towards the top will be more attractive than one lower down due to it being natural to want to link to success and greater TV exposure etc

I stand by the claim that higher profile sponsors would expect that type of professional set up rather than a rag bag of different coloured suits and bibs with different sized and style detachable numbers etc

Race bibs would be a common design carrying the main sponsor(s) name(s), whether riders had matching kevlars or not!

Don't get me wrong I personally prefer team kevlars but once the riders have all their individual sponsors added with different colours and logos, they all look different anyway - not something that happens with race jackets/bibs!

So are the Witches club colours no longer Blue/black/white  now?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Race bibs would be a common design carrying the main sponsor(s) name(s), whether riders had matching kevlars or not!

Don't get me wrong I personally prefer team kevlars but once the riders have all their individual sponsors added with different colours and logos, they all look different anyway - not something that happens with race jackets/bibs!

So are the Witches club colours no longer Blue/black/white  now?

Those colours still stand

Yellow has been more noticable in recent times with the Tru link although it has often been a part anyway

If you look all the individual sponsors on the Witches suits are in white so more consistentcy (KP aside :rolleyes:)

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2019 at 5:16 PM, Ghosty said:

..but the big whammy 2 guest riders in your team & the whole thing look's a shambles!!!!

As opposed to all seven looking a complete shambles from the get go? Some people still live in the past and that’s part of the problem Speedway has these days. 

I suggest everyone takes a look at the link to the Look East programme posted on the Ipswich thread. Ipswich look like a professional outfit of a professional sport, exactly the way it SHOULD be, instead of people harking on about the good old days of the 70’s when riders had individual identity with race bibs and numbers made out of gaffer tape that was half falling off. 

As I said, people need to stop living in the past.

• Like 8

I have to say that as a middle ground im surprised more clubs don't utilise the Jersey approach. Riders can have their own kevlars and be recognisable via legs but have X jerseys made each reflecting the clubs preferred design for the upper body and can have the riders sponsors included too. Keep a couple back for guests and cheap to make when Poole change 6 of the starting line up. 

Don't you find it odd that speedway was more a team sport when riders wore different leathers to each other but the same race jacket, and yet today we have riders in identical suits and yet it's more an individual sport?

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 6:56 PM, Steve Irving said:

As opposed to all seven looking a complete shambles from the get go? Some people still live in the past and that’s part of the problem Speedway has these days. 

I suggest everyone takes a look at the link to the Look East programme posted on the Ipswich thread. Ipswich look like a professional outfit of a professional sport, exactly the way it SHOULD be, instead of people harking on about the good old days of the 70’s when riders had individual identity with race bibs and numbers made out of gaffer tape that was half falling off. 

As I said, people need to stop living in the past.

A brave but imo, true assessment of many of the sports problems in a nutshell. Need to look forward not backwards. And in modern society a team of different colours schemes but matching bibs looks a mess and a bit amateurish to everyone except the purists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

A brave but imo, true assessment of many of the sports problems in a nutshell. Need to look forward not backwards. And in modern society a team of different colours schemes but matching bibs looks a mess and a bit amateurish to everyone except the purists.

Race suits may look more professional. But the reality is... the sport is a mess. You can't sell it to newcomers on race suits alone. 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:13 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

I have to say that as a middle ground im surprised more clubs don't utilise the Jersey approach. Riders can have their own kevlars and be recognisable via legs but have X jerseys made each reflecting the clubs preferred design for the upper body and can have the riders sponsors included too. Keep a couple back for guests and cheap to make when Poole change 6 of the starting line up. 

I thought of that but they don`t look too good when they`re flapping about in the wind.   They`re ok for  guest riders.

6 minutes ago, Dornier fixer said:

I thought of that but they don`t look too good when they`re flapping about in the wind.   They`re ok for  guest riders.

True but they are still in their infancy with respect to speedway. If they were being made for specific riders rather than just a one size fits all then they could be a little more tailored.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

True but they are still in their infancy with respect to speedway. If they were being made for specific riders rather than just a one size fits all then they could be a little more tailored.

Our riders wore some Ice Hockey jerseys when at Sheffield Steelers game last Saturday and they looked brilliant, which would make them very appealing for fans to buy in off season as well as during.

They would just need some sort of elastic/grippers so they don't flap around as much when racing.

Glasgow have done good by releasing a team shirt which is great for fans to buy and Sheffield were also wearing t-shirt's which represent the team very well so hopefully they will be available at track shop.

• Like 1