British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Team Suits and/or Race Jackets

Having flicked thru' a recent edition of 'Speedway Star' I happened to notice that Poole on a recent visit to Belle Vue appeared to have dispensed with team suits adopting race jackets instead. Scanning further thru' the mag it seems that some teams are re-adopting race jackets whereas others have the club insignia on their team suits.

Are team suits no longer compulsory and left to individual clubs to adopt whatever suits? 

Edited by steve roberts

It all comes down to costs Steve. Kevlars are very expensive to produce, and race jackets only cost around the £50 Mark to make. Rye house have been using the dreadful race shirts this season. It's all about saving money rather than appearance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

It all comes down to costs Steve. Kevlars are very expensive to produce, and race jackets only cost around the £50 Mark to make. Rye house have been using the dreadful race shirts this season. It's all about saving money rather than appearance.

Clubs have to do it mate. Simple as that.

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Having flicked thru' a recent edition of 'Speedway Star' I happened to notice that Poole on a recent visit to Belle Vue appeared to have dispensed with team suits adopting race jackets instead. Scanning further thru' the mag it seems that some teams are re-adopting race jackets whereas others have the club insignia on their team suits.

Are team suits no longer compulsory and left to individual clubs to adopt whatever suits? 

I believe Sky insisted on Team racesuits when they had the TV contract. BT make no such insistence and pay virtually comparatively nothing for the broadcast rights.

Its definitely a cost cutting exercise by those clubs that have chosen not to have them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

I believe Sky insisted on Team racesuits when they had the TV contract. BT make no such insistence and pay virtually comparatively nothing for the broadcast rights.

Its definitely a cost cutting exercise by those clubs that have chosen not to have them.

Many thanks for that...it just looks very messy in my opinion whereby the idea of team suits was to make the sport look more 'professional' (although I disliked them personally) and now it appears that it's left to discretion of any one promotion as to which way to go...team suits or race jackets.

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

...personally I always preferred race jackets and the choice of individual leathers. It made it easier identifying one rider from another.

• Like 5

I’m with Steve on this, I much prefer seeing riders with individual kevlars and bike colours.

• Like 1

Just for info I see the Team GB guys won the 4-team meeting in Germany yesterday wearing race jackets rather than team racesuits!!:D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Just for info I see the Team GB guys won the 4-team meeting in Germany yesterday wearing race jackets rather than team racesuits!!:D

That’s because not every rider is lucky enough to have a GB race suit.

• Like 2

On 30/04/2018 at 11:05 PM, Jonny the spud said:

That’s because not every rider is lucky enough to have a GB race suit.

And what a huge shame it is that the achievements of these 4 young riders only gets mentioned in a slightly snipey way on a race suit thread.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

And what a huge shame it is that the achievements of these 4 young riders only gets mentioned in a slightly snipey way on a race suit thread.

It wasn’t meant as a snipey way, it’s just that it all comes down to money. 

Were hearing  about these plans for team GB but unless there’s a large sponsor willing to finance a pool of top class engines and a budget for suits and publicity etc, all the keep fit lessons in the world will come to nothing. 

Edited by Jonny the spud
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

It wasn’t meant as a snipey way, it’s just that it all comes down to money. 

Were hearing  about these plans for team GB but unless there’s a large sponsor willing to finance a pool of top class engines and a budget for suits and publicity etc, all the keep fit lessons in the world will come to nothing. 

Apologies bad quoting on my part.

Would be interesting to see if the new setup is prepared to subsidise suits? For example plenty of riders have to fund their own kevlars at present, however if they were to use the National Team design they would get £200 towards them for example? The riders can then use them week in week out etc.

Think everyone has seen the former team GB suits on ebay within weeks of a world cup despite them being sponsor supplied so its clear certain riders have little regard for them but if they had a vested interest in the suit it might be kept?

On 4/29/2018 at 4:06 AM, Starman2006 said:

Clubs have to do it mate. Simple as that.

Some clubs choose to do it. None are forced one way or another.

If we trying to portray the sport as professional team sport, one looks far better then the other :

DY9_3HJW4AEpvWP.jpg

team_2018_1521798225_w600.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Rob B said:

If we trying to portray the sport as professional team sport, one looks far better then the other :

DY9_3HJW4AEpvWP.jpg

team_2018_1521798225_w600.jpg

...picture of Poole, the Man Utd of speedway (according to Craig Boyce!). What a burden to carry!

• Haha 1