British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Rye House v Poole 14 May

23 minutes ago, SFTGNigel said:

You're right overall but last night wasn't "good weather", it was freezing by the time the meeting got going and I regretted not bringing a hat, coat and gloves. Being on a platform twenty feet in the air (the only place you can guarantee a good view with that monstrosity on the centre green) in wind like last night's isn't ideal. 

As for the crowds, I just don't see any real promotion going on to try and offset the inconvenience of the fixed race nights (I'm in a minority that find weeknights are better but ackowledge that's not the case for the majority) . Last season's top flight debut seemed to see an attempt to reach out to potential audiences and local people but since then it's been desultory, even free outlets like social media are hardly used. 

Yesterday was dry and sunny. That's good weather compared to the deluge over Easter. Last year rye greatly benefited by lakeside dropping down to the third tier. This season lakeside have moved up with an exciting young side, and have kept their race night. The hammers crowds have gone up accordingly. Rye on the other hand are stuck with weekday race nights, that the vast majority of fans I know, don't want.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree with all of that  but none of it really contradicts my points - other than pointing out the obvious fact that a cold, windy night may be better than torrential rain which means the cancellation of a meeting but doesn't address the fact that yesterday was hardly a balmy summer's evening. 

That's a side issue really, the Lakeside issue is clear but that means the promotion should be doing more than last season to counteract it, they seem to be doing a lot less. 

Edited by SFTGNigel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Josh looks like Watt in hos final season. No form whatsoever. Jakobsen gave him a stiff fist corner and he pulled up!

It was Nicholls who gave him the tough first bend.

Grajczonek is a class act, and will get there, but does appear to be lacking a bit of race sharpness and being unable to control the first bends. He may need to go back to basics, get a Championship spot, get some big points in the Championship, and I'm sure the points will soon come flowing again.

This team of veteran Championship riders keep defying the odds with another fine win.

Race times were a second faster than recent meetings but Scott showed you don’t need speed to provide good racing with his team riding losing his steel shoe mid race too.

Not impressed with Poole so I guess Holder will arrive soon and Josh or another will be jettisoned.

7 minutes ago, MrMungo said:

It was Nicholls who gave him the tough first bend.

Grajczonek is a class act, and will get there, but does appear to be lacking a bit of race sharpness and being unable to control the first bends. He may need to go back to basics, get a Championship spot, get some big points in the Championship, and I'm sure the points will soon come flowing again.

Not sure he will have time to go back to basics he must be very vulnerable here at poole. ?

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Not how someone i know saw it.

Was told Woryna was off gate 4 , made a half decent start and was able to keep wide and go round the pack on the first 2 bends........................happens lots of times in a meeting so would hardly say he went past KK like he was standing still.

Apart from that he only passed NBJ though i was told that was a good pass. 

Fair play to him 8 from 5 at Rye is a good return.

Kurtz cant keep affording to miss gates for fun. Josh and Linus must be close to getting pushed out as well. Worrall did his job, but its disappointing Poole couldnt win this, i would expect a big home win tomorrow that will paper over the cracks

You still didn't see it though, so I'm afraid Steve's account is more valid than yours! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Not how someone i know saw it.

Was told Woryna was off gate 4 , made a half decent start and was able to keep wide and go round the pack on the first 2 bends........................happens lots of times in a meeting so would hardly say he went past KK like he was standing still.

Apart from that he only passed NBJ though i was told that was a good pass. 

Fair play to him 8 from 5 at Rye is a good return.

Kurtz cant keep affording to miss gates for fun. Josh and Linus must be close to getting pushed out as well. Worrall did his job, but its disappointing Poole couldnt win this, i would expect a big home win tomorrow that will paper over the cracks

Well Woryna looked pretty impressive from my viewpoint and had a good night, Szczpaniak  was also good always on the pace and when he gated he was gone, Sundstrom was better than recently but still nowhere near the rider we thought we were getting, Nielsen was brilliant and although I had my misgivings about the change he was terrific and so unlucky in heat 14. So a few positives.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You still didn't see it though, so I'm afraid Steve's account is more valid than yours! 

Nope i didnt see it but Marks old mechanic was there and he said Woryna looked good (as i said) just thta the 'pass' was round the first corner as happens numerous times

Woryna was brilliant in two rides last night. Two superb passes after a first ride to suss the track out. Most entertaining rider on view.  The move on Kk was breath taking.  

4 hours ago, JamesM09 said:

We have no "big hitters". The highest average we have is 7.48. Our team isn't built with "Big Hitters" the idea of it is that 1-6 score solidly. 

Think if you read through the forums many RH fans massively doubted this team.. and still do so im not sure where your deluded fans comment is coming from? 

hope NBJ is ok after his crash last night (looked awful)   - good job it happened late in the meeting - if NBJ was out earlier on we would have lost by 10 points (no other reserve cover to speak of) we were lucky last night but will come unstuck on this soon - most teams in the league this year  seem to have concentrated on getting 2 good reserves in place (shows why Poole sacked James S who wasn't riding that badly for them but have improved their reserve power)

17 hours ago, bigred said:

rye built a team that had to use Max.they could of had a no7 with a 4 point average but you wouldn’t have fit in the “big boys that will come to the table”?? Or maybe they won’t .!! Maybe you should get your Kevlars out of retirement and show him how to go on .or failing that use your team management skills and cheque book to build a team .gues not on both accounts .

Your partly right, after a bad accident in motor cross which left me with cracked discs in my lower back, I decided not to carry on.

Obviously you have some connection with Max?

Not slagging him off, just think he's out of his depth at this level

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Woryna was brilliant in two rides last night. Two superb passes after a first ride to suss the track out. Most entertaining rider on view.  The move on Kk was breath taking.  

lol its always breathtaking when a ride comes out of gate 4 and manages to stay wide and leaves bend 2 in front

Edited by Gavan

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

lol its always breathtaking when a ride comes out of gate 4 and manages to stay wide and leaves bend 2 in front

Even the Rye House meeting report refers to Woryna making a 'terrific pass'!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Even the Rye House meeting report refers to Woryna making a 'terrific pass'!!

He was absolutely superb and a joy to watch. KK just didn’t know what was happening.  

Funny how Gavan is desperately trying to diss Woryna with a slight luke warm praise but those that witnessed the race all appreciated the lad. Had some old boy Rye fans sitting with us who all gave him a clap.  One said to me, “that’s what speedway is all about!”. 

As a neutral who was there, I agree that Woryna looked excellent once he had sussed the track out. It WAS a terrific pass. Poole were unlucky not to get a better result overall.

• Like 1