British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Ivan Mauger's 1969 season

I’m putting together some stats on Ivan Mauger’s remarkable 1969 season with Belle Vue, when he was almost unbeatable in races that he completed.  I’m trying to get to the bottom of the five exclusions he suffered during the course of that season.

According to the brilliant Speedway Researcher website:

April 18: Hackney (A)

Heat 11: Chris Pusey, Jimmy Gooch, Des Lukehurst, Norman Nevitt (fell), MAUGER (tapes)

May 9: Glasgow (A)

Heat 9: Oyvind Berg, Tommy Roper, Russ Dent, Eric Broadbelt, MAUGER (tapes)

July 29: Leicester (A)

Heat 11: 11: John Boulger, Chris Pusey, Malcolm Brown, Bill Powell, MAUGER (tapes)

August 26: West Ham (A)

Heat 1: Ken McKinlay, Steve Waplington, Eric Broadbelt, Stan Stevens, MAUGER (tapes)

September 27: Wolverhampton (H)

Excluded from Heat 1 (2 mins)

However, according to a Peter Oakes article in Speedway Star in 2003, Mauger was excluded for tapes infringements against Hackney, West Ham and Wolverhampton.  No mention of either Glasgow or Leicester.

Speedway Star did not include tapes or two-minute exclusions in their heat details in 1969.

Is anyone able to clarify the nature of Ivan’s exclusions from these 1969 meetings?  It would be great if someone had original marked programmes.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

The reports for Glasgow and Leicester meetings refer to him being excluded in those races, even though the heat details do not record it. They don't actually say what the exclusion was for but tapes is inferred.

I have completed programmes from a few of those matches including the Leicester and Wolves home match; but on every occasion the notation used tells us that he was excluded and replaced by someone else but not WHY.

The 2 minutes exclusion at home to Wolves is surprising. Ivan not ready for heat 1? ... that would have been worth noting whereas tape breaking was quite ten-a-penny that year.
That meeting was also his first appearence at Hyde Road after winning his second title and first as an Ace, There was all sorts of presentations done before that meeting ... so whether it was tapes or 2 mins quite an anti climax in heat 1 for the new champ! Someone must remember that.

In my own defence I was only five at the time so have an incomplete memory and had a slightly unreliable programme filling technique back then

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

I have a completed programme from the Glasgow match. Heat 9, Mauger replaced Broadbelt, broke the tapes, and Broadbelt came back in.

• Like 1

Thanks Grand Central and DaveAllan81.

I've also checked through the Speedway Stars of that year:

Hackney: mentions excluded for tape breaking

Glasgow: simply mentions "excluded" (but Dave Allan has confirmed completed programmed says he broke the tapes)

Leicester: simply mentions "excluded"

West Ham: mentions excluded for tape breaking

Belle Vue (home v Wolves): does not mention exclusion in write-up: in heat details it does include exclusion but merely states (exc)

So it's Leicester (A) and Wolves (H) that still need confirmation.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

I was at the West Ham meeting on 26 August. I have written in my programme, "Exc broke tapes start." (He was replaced by Steve Waplington).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, norbold said:

I was at the West Ham meeting on 26 August. I have written in my programme, "Exc broke tapes start." (He was replaced by Steve Waplington).

Cheers Norbold.

In addition, I looked one week further on in the Speedway Star regarding the home match v Wolves (i.e. the week after the match report), in which it mentioned Mauger's 'homecoming' after the World Final and that he broke the tapes in Heat 1.  So it was indeed a tapes exclusion, rather than one for two minutes, so Grand Central your thinking was right.

That's everything confirmed expect for the Leicester away match on July 29.

14 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Cheers Norbold.

In addition, I looked one week further on in the Speedway Star regarding the home match v Wolves (i.e. the week after the match report), in which it mentioned Mauger's 'homecoming' after the World Final and that he broke the tapes in Heat 1.  So it was indeed a tapes exclusion, rather than one for two minutes, so Grand Central your thinking was right.

That's everything confirmed expect for the Leicester away match on July 29.

My programme records Mauger breaking the tapes, being replaced by Ken Eyre, who was also excluded and replaced by Bill Powell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BL65 said:

My programme records Mauger breaking the tapes, being replaced by Ken Eyre, who was also excluded and replaced by Bill Powell.

Thanks very much.