British Speedway Forum
fubar

Potters v Colts - 5/5/18

33 minutes ago, fubar said:

I spoke with some long-standing Stoke supporters last night and they expressed the opinion that enough was enough and it is sad when even a club's die hard supporters have no faith in the club that they have supported for donkey's years.

Just been chatting to friends on Facebook who made the trip from Birmingham last night. "Never again" was the summary of the polite things they said about their experiences.

25 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Just been chatting to friends on Facebook who made the trip from Birmingham last night. "Never again" was the summary of the polite things they said about their experiences.

I thought it was a OK meeting

Fubar, if you don't mind a word on how Joe Lawlor went last night, how many rides did he take to score his 12.  Also, surprised that Rob Shuttleworth only scored 2, he's better than that surely?

1 hour ago, sommelier said:

I thought it was a OK meeting

I guess it comes down to how high you set the bar of acceptability.

1 hour ago, coldace said:

Fubar, if you don't mind a word on how Joe Lawlor went last night, how many rides did he take to score his 12.  Also, surprised that Rob Shuttleworth only scored 2, he's better than that surely?

Joe was riding really well but had an engine failure in his first ride and was excluded after Atkin came down in heat 15. So 12 points from 6 rides.

Joe was giving it 110% as usual.

Rob Shuttleworth was totally useless and fell off 3 times.

To be fair the track looked bumpy in parts and a lot of riders fell off. I'm sure Stoke is pretty good as a banger racing track but it sure knackers the track up.

Edited by fubar
spelling

25 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

I guess it comes down to how high you set the bar of acceptability.

Yes I do set the bar low when going to any third tier meeting, when I go to Poland which is very frequent I set the bar much higher, horses for courses

6 hours ago, woofers said:

Very disturbing. The referee should have tested the lights before giving the go ahead to run heat 15. If they failed the meeting should have been abandoned.

The referee is now in a quandary. If he mentions it in his report but failed to take action, he should be in trouble. And rightly so. As should the clerk of the course.

If he fails to mention it in his report the problem 'doesn't exist' and those in authority can 'rest easy'. Or can they ? Have the promoters, referee and officials no conscience ?

it seems that there is no 'rider power', so perhaps you should get in contact with speedway authorities at a higher level, BSPA, SCB, the ACU even, and relay your observations.

This sort of thing cannot go unreported, ignored, 'swept under the carpet' or pretend it didn't happen. 

Someone could be seriously hurt, or worse, if it's not dealt with provisionally and responsibly. 

Pray tell me Woofer why I as the Clerk of the Course having held a Licence since 1984 perhaps one of the L  should be Reported

6 hours ago, woofers said:

Very disturbing. The referee should have tested the lights before giving the go ahead to run heat 15. If they failed the meeting should have been abandoned.

The referee is now in a quandary. If he mentions it in his report but failed to take action, he should be in trouble. And rightly so. As should the clerk of the course.

If he fails to mention it in his report the problem 'doesn't exist' and those in authority can 'rest easy'. Or can they ? Have the promoters, referee and officials no conscience ?

it seems that there is no 'rider power', so perhaps you should get in contact with speedway authorities at a higher level, BSPA, SCB, the ACU even, and relay your observations.

This sort of thing cannot go unreported, ignored, 'swept under the carpet' or pretend it didn't happen. 

Someone could be seriously hurt, or worse, if it's not dealt with provisionally and responsibly. 

Pray Woofer why should I as Clerk of the Course having held a Licence since 1984 perhaps one of the longest serving one in the Modern era be Reported as The Referee Runs the Meeting not Myself, therefore I did not have any say in the Matter unless asked by the Referee, what the Referee puts or doesn`t put in his Report is up to him but Hey Ho what do I know

37 minutes ago, griffo said:

Pray Woofer why should I as Clerk of the Course having held a Licence since 1984 perhaps one of the longest serving one in the Modern era be Reported as The Referee Runs the Meeting not Myself, therefore I did not have any say in the Matter unless asked by the Referee, what the Referee puts or doesn`t put in his Report is up to him but Hey Ho what do I know

I am sure you know a considerable amount and therefore could perhaps tell us why the referee appeared to be very keen to speak to the C of C 30 seconds before the start of heat 15?

After reading this not sure whether to go next week Or watch the GP with a glass of wine

Thanks Fubar.  never understood why Shuttleworth chose to go to Stoke rather than stay wit the Colts.  But, the way young Lawlor is going we are so much better off.

7 minutes ago, bruno said:

After reading this not sure whether to go next week Or watch the GP with a glass of wine

Better still watch the GP with several glasses of wine!

I can think of a thousand better ways of spending £15 rather than give it to the Gloomy Roadsters.

They'll probably cancel it anyway because they have got banger racing (including double decker bangers) the following day and they will not want to overburden the Dickensian generator by cranking it up on two successive days.

Thanks Fubar I haven't been there for a couple of seasons because of some Stoke disasters in previous years. Feel I should support the lads this year because of our limited meetings this season. Il see how I feel later in the week

Thanks for your reply griffo.

I inadvertently thought that the title Clerk of the Course carried some weight in the safe running of a meeting, and that the failure of the red lights would be a critical factor in determining whether a meeting was safe to continue. 
I concluded that if there were to be a serious incident when it was known that the red lights were not working then the Clerk of the Course would carry an element of responsibility and most likely be 'in trouble' (I did not mention being reported).

My thinking and conclusions would be wrong though.
It would seem that under Speedway Regulations it is OK to run without working lights if the Referee says so :
9.2.6.2 If the Lights malfunction for any reason and the Meeting Referee considers it safe for the Meeting to continue, flags will be used under the jurisdiction of the Referee.

No doubt you will have carried out your responsibility under 14.2.1 g - bring matters concerning H&S issues to the promoters attention, as well as complying with the Clerk of Course Aide Memoire which requires you to Liaise with the Track Electrician to confirm that all track lighting and signals are in good working order and checking that an Electrician remains on duty throughout the meeting and arranging means of contact. 

So it looks as though I owe you, and other officials, an apology. It is OK to run a speedway meeting without functioning lights.
Only the referee would have it on his conscience in the event of an accident.
For all the other officials, it was 'nothing to do with me'.