British Speedway Forum
fubar

Potters v Colts - 5/5/18

11 minutes ago, bruno said:

We had a great time yesterday can't think of anything to complain about from the ticket office staff to the stewards on the gate in the south stand to Chase the Ace to the presentation and definately to the racing everything spot on. I thought at the time that heat 15 took a bit to get going but the reasons have been pointed out to me so absolutely no problems with that. My only complaint is they built it in the wrong place instead of close to where I live

I must say that Deans comments surprised me. We have been crying out for a good quality stadium in the UK for years, now we have one which provides excellent entertainment and facilities for the paying public. I've been several times and would go regularly if it wasn't for a 160 mile round trip .

It's a pleasure to attend a speedway meeting and feel that you are still  in the 21st century.:) I usually buy my ticket in advance and everything always works out well. It's just a shame we're not likely to see anything else to match the National stadium anywhere else in this country.

• Like 1

I think Dean is simply worn down by the politics and the way the sport has been run in this country. Eventually you get to a point where no matter how good something is, you won't want to know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, New Science said:

Maybe the Stoke promotion should approach their local council and ask them to build them a new modern purpose built stadium for free.

I don't think there is local council in the whole country that would be that foolish!

You may perhaps be suggesting that Belle Vue have been given a free stadium but that would be a very inaccurate suggestion.

If in doubt about that, ask Chris Morton.

On 07/05/2018 at 4:30 PM, CottonOn said:

Actually it's in Chesterton, and for a short period of their history, the team were known as Chesterton.    

But currently (and for most of their Loomer Road history) the team have taken the name of the nearest city, which is Stoke-On-Trent.

Not sure the point of your note, but at least now it's been corrected.

Sorry thought Chesterton was in Newcastle under Lyme.

4 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I’m not winding anyone up and I didn’t say loomer road was a better venue than NSS I just said it has more sole ... 

Loony Road certainly stinks like a fish.

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, fubar said:

Thank you for that information, that is most enlightening.

But seeing as some riders were already at the starting gate when the shout went out for the C of C to ring the referee, was it not a tad challenging to find and speak to the managers and allow them time to tell their riders that the lights had failed before the tapes went up?

It is a little surprising that the start of the heat wasn't delayed to allow sufficient time for the information to be conveyed and assurances provided to the referee that all riders and flag marshals were aware of the defect.

And if you could help me just a little more with this, how would the race stoppage be communicated to the flag marshals? Would a signal be made from the referees box or would it rely on the commentator shouting out instructions, assuming that there was still enough electricity left to operate the public address system?

You have me there Furber he didn

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, fubar said:

Thank you for that information, that is most enlightening.

But seeing as some riders were already at the starting gate when the shout went out for the C of C to ring the referee, was it not a tad challenging to find and speak to the managers and allow them time to tell their riders that the lights had failed before the tapes went up?

It is a little surprising that the start of the heat wasn't delayed to allow sufficient time for the information to be conveyed and assurances provided to the referee that all riders and flag marshals were aware of the defect.

And if you could help me just a little more with this, how would the race stoppage be communicated to the flag marshals? Would a signal be made from the referees box or would it rely on the commentator shouting out instructions, assuming that there was still enough electricity left to operate the public address system?

Sorry about the reply earlier my PC suddenly went back to Log In,  You have me there Furbar he didn't convey that to me I assume he would have indicated somehow or other to the Start Marshall

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

I think Dean is simply worn down by the politics and the way the sport has been run in this country. Eventually you get to a point where no matter how good something is, you won't want to know.

While this maybe true about speedway in general  my dislike of NSS is because of my hatred of health and safety but I still sat with a blank piece of paper to start with the stadium is very ordinary and not even a modern stadium design 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

19 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Shouldn't you be directing those comments about insulting Roy Smallwood at the Stoke management?

Imagine having two minutes silence for a member of staff you claim to care about, but then not really caring, by accidentally listing him as one of that night's officials running the meeting!!!  

Disgraceful, but typical of Stoke.

I ont have anything to do with the Programme in anyway but could have been  printed to late to remove it but Marvellous how people are latching

on to this were you there Walter or just saying what others are saying, but as you say by Accidently including him in the Programme I suppose the Printer has a set Plate of that Page as is the same week after week. But as I have said Previously Roy was a well respected  member of the Loomer Road Staff and through his Charity work has Raised Thousands of Pounds the reason for his MBE  does not deserve the comment s by People that do not Know anything about him

6 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I’m sure everything you say about the NSS is true but I won’t go, I don’t like it, it’s soleless and a H&S jizz fest and although the track is amazing I just feel about the stadium is they had a blank piece of paper and that’s the best you could come up with ? I guess I compare it to polish new stadiums which have sole and create atmosphere even when they are half full , my problem with stoke is one person, yes the generator issues need to be fixed but the fact is I have been to stoke twice this season and I have no desire to attend the NSS 

This is what I had to say yesterday :

PS I must admit I am wondering why I bother going elsewhere when Belle Vue is the closest to my home  :unsure:. There was more passing in one race here than in all 30 at Workington and Berwick over the weekend. 

At about two-thirds full there was plenty of atmosphere in the South Stand and, at least in part due to extraordinary efforts of Belle Vue's remarkable mascot, I'd be surprised if there wasn't quite a bit in the Grandstand. 

I have a lot of time for your views, always have. But to refuse to go to what is, I believe, pretty much universally acknowledged as the best racing track in the country - Peter Adams was saying only yesterday how all the riders love it - simply because of H& S is plain daft and to prefer Stoke borders on insanity.

Still, your choice. 

28 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

This is what I had to say yesterday :

PS I must admit I am wondering why I bother going elsewhere when Belle Vue is the closest to my home  :unsure:. There was more passing in one race here than in all 30 at Workington and Berwick over the weekend. 

At about two-thirds full there was plenty of atmosphere in the South Stand and, at least in part due to extraordinary efforts of Belle Vue's remarkable mascot, I'd be surprised if there wasn't quite a bit in the Grandstand. 

I have a lot of time for your views, always have. But to refuse to go to what is, I believe, pretty much universally acknowledged as the best racing track in the country - Peter Adams was saying only yesterday how all the riders love it - simply because of H& S is plain daft and to prefer Stoke borders on insanity.

Still, your choice. 

Again I haven’t said anything bad about the track, it’s brilliant, I don’t pay my money to be told how to walk ,talk, drink,stand sit and to be generally treated like someone who doesn’t understand how to live without dying every day , the London stadium is exactly the same and im in no rush to go back there either . Insane I may be but doesn’t change the fact that I have no intrest in going to the NSS but I may go to stoke again this year and if one person would disappear I might even try to help the club 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

4 hours ago, bruno said:

PS I'm going to Stoke Saturday hope I get the same experience

Well, you'll certainly have an experience but I'm not sure I'd classify it as pleasant.

I've just had it on good authority that the management at Gloomy Road are asking all spectators to bring a torch with them and then when the lights go out, they can all shine them on the track.

It'll be a bit like a Barry Manilow concert but without the singing.

If you survive, Bruno, do please report back.

13 minutes ago, fubar said:

... the management at Gloomy Road are asking all spectators to bring a torch with them and then when the lights go out, they can all shine them on the track....

I thought that was what the car headlights on the back straight embankment were for... :D

11 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

While stoke may not be perfect and does have a issues I would still rather go to stoke than the Health & safety hell hole that is the NSS and indeed do, the NSS has a great track but to be told you can’t do this or can’t do that and you can’t go here or there ,I’ve been twice , once for a buxton meeting where we were treated like cattle by the stewards and the second time as a mechanic where you are given an envelope containing do’s and dont’s , the place is soleless and that’s something stoke has , bring back Kirky lane at least it had sole 

Dean, if you'd posted this about eighteen months ago then I would have totally agreed with you.  I went to the NSS a couple of times in 2016 and was taken aback at how overbearing the officials were there.  Plus, the meetings I saw that year were not particularly good and it left me feeling that the dog track was a far better venue.

Having said that, I've been to a few meetings there since the takeover last year and the difference is massive.  The staff their are far more friendly and the meetings I've seen have been exceptional - yesterdays meeting being brilliant with some terrific action, a great atmosphere and a large crowd - so I an now gladly admit I was wrong.

Its a shame that Stoke has deteriorated to the level it has, as I've seen some great racing at Loomer Road in years gone by as well.  If there was ever a club that needed new life injected into it then its Stoke.  However, you're more likely to attract the interest of a first timer by taking them to Belle Vue than you would to Stoke.

• Like 2