British Speedway Forum
fubar

Potters v Colts - 5/5/18

I'm in a bit of a quandary here because I really want to support the Colts on their visit to Gloomy Road.

But I'm not sure that I can bring myself to hand over a handful of dosh to the cheerful chappies on the gate.

I vowed I would never go to Gloomy Road again after some of my dreadful experiences there but my willpower seems to be waning and I am feeling myself being dragged over to the dark side.

I know if I go I will hate myself the morning after but do I owe it to the Colts to endure the pain and suffering that visiting the home of the Gloomy Roadsters will surely cause me?

Perhaps the weather Gods will make the decision for me........

7 hours ago, fubar said:

I'm in a bit of a quandary here because I really want to support the Colts on their visit to Gloomy Road.

But I'm not sure that I can bring myself to hand over a handful of dosh to the cheerful chappies on the gate.

I vowed I would never go to Gloomy Road again after some of my dreadful experiences there but my willpower seems to be waning and I am feeling myself being dragged over to the dark side.

I know if I go I will hate myself the morning after but do I owe it to the Colts to endure the pain and suffering that visiting the home of the Gloomy Roadsters will surely cause me?

Perhaps the weather Gods will make the decision for me........

you'll be more upset with yourself in the morning if the colts give them a hiding and you could have been there , and it's going to be sunny ,   B)

13 hours ago, gee jay said:

you'll be more upset with yourself in the morning if the colts give them a hiding and you could have been there , and it's going to be sunny ,   B)

gee jay I know what you are saying but the thought of handing over £15 to Stoke Speedway is bringing me out into a cold sweat.

So I will follow the meeting on Speedway Updates and cheer the Colts on from the comfort of my armchair.

Stay at home mate with a couple of beers as the weekend will be nice. Spend your £15 on some Stella!

59 minutes ago, happy potter said:

Stay at home mate with a couple of beers as the weekend will be nice. Spend your £15 on some Stella!

I don't know anybody called Stella.

46 minutes ago, fubar said:

Bad luck! :)

53 minutes ago, fubar said:

I do, a very hard rider!!!

I gave up going to Stoke a long time ago despite it being my nearest track.

new promoters could give Stoke a new lease of life.... including my support

unfortunately Stock cars will keep the present promotion at Loomer Road

Is Stoke off with localised rain yet?, can't be much longer.....

Always a reason to postpone until the lovely weather of October....

• Like 1

It won't be called off because of rain.

Probably be called off because it is so hot the cheapo shale has melted.

How come Malcolm Vasey is not the team manager?

Adam Isherwood is shown as TM so I hope nothing is wrong with Malcolm as he has always seemed pleasant enough on the couple of occasions that I have spoken with him.

Anyway, for those of you off to Gloomy Road don't forget your sun tan lotion.

The sun is going to be bouncing off them there slag heaps, duck.

Against my better judgement I found myself at Loomer Road last night and was disheartened to see that the place was even more dilapidated than when I last visited a couple of years ago. Surely somebody can at least work a lawn mower?

It took the best part of an hour to get the first 4 heats away due to the sun being in the wrong place but at least we were able to marvel at Mr Tattum's tractor driving skills. Sadly, the centre green announcer couldn't make it last night so instead he sent his brother whose knowledge of speedway seemed a tad sparse. When it was announced that Ken Dicken was coming out  for the Belle Vue Aces in heat 2 it kind of signalled that the guy perhaps wasn't a great follower of NL speedway. It could have been worse, he could have announced that it was Ken Dodd who would be riding in white.

We had a minute's silence for Roy Smallwood who had apparently gone to a better place . Happy to say that they didn't bother playing music through the period of silence as they did when Mr Plinge witnessed a similar "mark of respect" at a previous extravaganza at Gloomy Road. Interesting to see that the deceased was still listed in the programme as being the evening's Pits Gate Manager so perhaps they were hoping that he would be there in spirit at least.

Moving on from the depressing and farcical to rather more serious matters. I think it must have been heat 14 when William O'Keefe once more carried out a close inspection of the air fence. The referee switched on the red lights and immediately all the track and stadium lights went out. Fortunately, the riders survived being plunged into a diminished light situation without incident. After a few minutes, the lights flickered back into life and no mention was made of this failure by the commentator.

As the riders were approaching the gate for heat 15, the commentator puts out an urgent call for the clerk of the course to contact the ref. Whether he did contact him, I know not.  The race gets under way and Lawlor and Atkin come down heavily at turn 3. No red lights come on but the commentator is shouting at the the corner marshals to put the red flags out which they do after a few seconds delay.

Now my questions are these:-

Were the red lights not turned on because the referee knew that if he pushed the switch then the track lights would probably go out again?

Did the referee  know before he started the heat that there was a fault with the warning lights hence the urgent call out to the C of C?

If the referee was aware that the safety systems were not in place then why was the race allowed to start?

Perhaps there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for these events but I would be interested to know what it might be. Electrical failures appear to be a common occurrence at Loomer Road but the referees and the SCB  seem to take no heed of these potentially catastrophic defects. I just hope that it does not take a rider getting seriously hurt before action is taken to remedy the situation.

I see no mention in Stoke's own match report of any of these failings and it is shame that they didn't take the opportunity to apologize to the customers for last night's failings and give an assurance that they would get things sorted out.

A win for the Colts but numerous crashes, interminable delays and some genuinely frightening incidents mean that it wasn't one of my most enjoyable speedway jaunts. I spoke to a family (grandfather through to grandchildren) on the terraces who were attending speedway for the first time and asked them if they would be likely to come back again. Unsurprisingly, they indicated that they would not be returning and after last night's show you can understand why.

Speedway is a better sport than this.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Very disturbing. The referee should have tested the lights before giving the go ahead to run heat 15. If they failed the meeting should have been abandoned.

The referee is now in a quandary. If he mentions it in his report but failed to take action, he should be in trouble. And rightly so. As should the clerk of the course.

If he fails to mention it in his report the problem 'doesn't exist' and those in authority can 'rest easy'. Or can they ? Have the promoters, referee and officials no conscience ?

it seems that there is no 'rider power', so perhaps you should get in contact with speedway authorities at a higher level, BSPA, SCB, the ACU even, and relay your observations.

This sort of thing cannot go unreported, ignored, 'swept under the carpet' or pretend it didn't happen. 

Someone could be seriously hurt, or worse, if it's not dealt with provisionally and responsibly. 

1 hour ago, fubar said:

I spoke to a family (grandfather through to grandchildren) on the terraces who were attending speedway for the first time and asked them if they would be likely to come back again. Unsurprisingly, they indicated that they would not be returning and after last night's show you can understand why.

Another nail in the coffin of the arguement that "any speedway is better than no speedway".

I have only expressed my opinion based on my observations from last night.

Perhaps there is an alternative explanation that may be forthcoming from the management in the fullness of time.

It can be no coincidence though that these calamities see to affect Stoke on a very regular basis and there is no evidence that anybody is minded to do anything about it.

If the lights were indeed faulty and as a result a rider (or marshal) suffered serious injury or worse then surely the referee, the clerk of course, the SCB and the promoter would be hard pressed to mount any credible defence should the matter be brought before the courts.

I spoke with some long-standing Stoke supporters last night and they expressed the opinion that enough was enough and it is sad when even a club's die hard supporters have no faith in the club that they have supported for donkey's years.