British Speedway Forum
Blackadder

Sheffield v Peterborough SGBCL 3/5/18 @ 7.30

Just got to wish JB a speedy recovery, I suffered a similar injury in the ISDE which finished me. Leigh Lanham suffered from the same injury at Edinburgh riding for sheffield and it needs time to heal.

always loved watching JB but hope he takes the doctors advice when to come back!!!! And not when he wants to come back.

howarth has lost this tonight with saying he is fit to ride which clearly he’s not. Well done to the rest of the team!!!!!

1 hour ago, brylcream boy said:

OdsalBoy, did you go or were you doing the ironing?

Hello - Well .. I was hoping to do the ironing but it didnt quite work out ! :-) 

Iron will be fixed for next week though :-)

41 minutes ago, Tonga said:

Just got to wish JB a speedy recovery, I suffered a similar injury in the ISDE which finished me. Leigh Lanham suffered from the same injury at Edinburgh riding for sheffield and it needs time to heal.

always loved watching JB but hope he takes the doctors advice when to come back!!!! And not when he wants to come back.

howarth has lost this tonight with saying he is fit to ride which clearly he’s not. Well done to the rest of the team!!!!!

have to agree.seemed strange that he pulled out of newcastle meeting then rode the following night.should have declared himself unfit following the redcar meeting then perhaps we could have used a guest, all told thought fine result under the circumstances but do fear the worst for tomorrow at glasgow.well done otherwise tigers.

Well deserved draw for Peterborough taking advantage of our shortcomings.our promotion have got most things right since they took over but I think the bates problem should have been sorted at the beginning of the season.They expected 3 new riders to cover r/r ,not ideal,that gave them added pressure.now we've brought Jan back and he looked way off the pace understandably if he's hardly rode.Then we've got kyles injury.As we have got access to the Leicester track why not get Kyle and Jan having a spin in the week .I think as captain Kyle should have accepted he wasn't fit and we could have had a guest.Now we've dropped points at home we need an extra away win which won't be easy.Well done to Charles ,lasse,James and Todd for keeping us in the meeting.I fear the worst tonight as Glasgow with guest riders at a minimum.

I would like to thank Charles Wright for his efforts last night. When he was on the track the races were entertaining otherwise the races were often too strung out and only the closeness of the score throughout kept me interested. 

• Like 1

Amazing how quickly the cracks can begin to show in a team which everyone fancied to repeat the success of last season. The Bates situation is a worry. Recovery from nerve damage is the hardest to predict and I suspect that the management's silence on the issue betrays the fact that his return could still be a long way off. Even when (if) he does return, who's to say what form he will be in? 

Jan Graversen did a great job for us at reserve last season and we have to applaud him for that, but the Bates we all know and love is a precocious talent. Jan might be many things but he's certainly not that. In hindsight it would have been better if the management had cut their losses with JB after his accident and signed a permanent replacement of the "precocious talent" type. As things stand today, available riders that answer that description are thin on the ground to say the least but, with the best will in the world, unless JB and his medics can give a firm date on which he will be fit and back on a bike, Uncle Damien's best option is to start a search for a permanent replacement.

If and when the prodigal nephew can demonstrate fitness and form, the door could always be left open for a return (maybe next season).

The team has suddenly taken on the appearance of fragility - it's gone from hero to zero almost overnight. Just shows how unpredictable this wonderful sport can be. Fair play to the lads last night, they rode their hearts out against a team that's taken on fresh wind. But clearly there are holes beginning to appear in the Champions' armour and these need to be dealt with tout de suite.

• Like 1