British Speedway Forum
waco

Lakeside V Ipswich frid 4th May 8pm

36 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Neither Heeps nor Hume had seen the track before their first visit and we all know it’s one of the more difficult tracks to master and it showed as they scored 1 point between them. 

Second visit last night and they score 6+1 and 4+3 so that’s encouraging. Hopefully when we return will a full side we can push even closer. 

Ithink Ipswich are a better side than many of their own fans give them credit for. Every team in this league has its weak links and Ippo has been up against some strong sides in Lakeside and Peterboro so far this year. If the Witches can hit form, which they haven't done as a team so far they can still have  decent run in the league.

They was all saying they was going to be top two at start of the season wasn’t they? 

I thought it was a very strange flat atmosphere last night. Probably that was because of the result from the first leg. I also thought the size of the crowd was a little disapointing. There were some decent races, particularly those involving Schlein, and Connor Mountain impressed again. For the Hammers, the top 4 continues to look awesome, and although Zach and Alfie were not at their best it should be remembered they both took early tumbles on top of injuries they were already carrying.

Yes Bryce, despite them trying to blast music as loud as they can making it hard to talk to the person next to you, it has lacked atmosphere, racing wise pretty decent in the main.

Crowd definitely down on previous match and I have to say crowds in general are much lower than what they we have had in the past, getting out of the stadium at the end has been a breeze this season, Only time I have ever known that at Arena was when we were on Sky TV on a Monday night.

Ipswich have not had a good start but are only one rider away from being a good team, replace the German with a decent second string/third heat leader and they will be better, Conner Mountain has been very good around Arena, I am sure he will be on the list of potential guests should we need one for any of our lower order.

Crowd wise, I believe circumstance has not been doing the Hammers any favours. Chilly evenings, meetings at the start of a Bank Holiday weekend and a second leg with an unassailable lead etc. are hardly conducive to folks turning out for speedway. Attendances do need to step up or I fear for the future of the club - we have a good team that should be up amongst the challengers for silverware this season - what more do folks want.

Finally, agree the music was way too loud last night .

6 hours ago, liam said:

They was all saying they was going to be top two at start of the season wasn’t they? 

Not sure it was us witches fans tbh. I think we were all happy with the team choices, sadly they are struggling to gel, a massive plus from last year was the "team" feeling, not there yet this year. Not forgetting the dreaded injuries.

If I'm perfectly honest in my opinion, having Nico back was a mistake, we should have kept Kyle.  People are being hard on Michael but to me he's been one of the plus'.

We also have 2 x weak reserves, albeit Connor is awesome at lakeside, not so at home:neutral:

Having both nico and Danyon back was a huge risk, Danyon less so due to only having a 2 point average. I would also have kept Kyle,  I also think we should have kept Nathan, just look how much he improved , and his attitude was the best you could ask for.  I also wouldn't have had Heeps back, not cos I don't like him, but just cos I don't think he was going to improve any more, and he still is one of the worst starters I've ever seen, not good for a heat leader of his standard.  

Our team though is a lot better than  its showed so far, but I also believe it could have been even better.

7 hours ago, liam said:

To be fair, just about EVERYONE did didn’t they? Have a look back at the Speedway Star predictions and the pre season thread on here. The overwhelming majority had Ipswich top 2. 

I still wouldn’t rule it out. Get our walking wounded back quickly and hopefully the team settles down. It’s certainly good enough and not a time for knee jerk reactions.