British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
archie21

Championship Shield

Can someone please explain how the 4th place team is selected. With having 2 groups of 4 teams and one of 3, the 2nd highest scoring team is awarded 4th place, ( so it says on the SGB Shield chart page ). What I would like to know is how this is calculated?  Is it an average points scored: most wins; etc or something else that no one knows until the top teams of the 3 groups are known??? 

Should be average match points

In 3 team group points ÷ 4

In 4 team group points ÷ 6

Whichever of Sheff and Scunny cant be best 2nd if Boro beat Ipswich in their last fixture

In the other group it is still possible for Glasgow or Worky to top the group and the other to better Boro average (although it may be September before that group is completed :lol:)

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Should be average match points

In 3 team group points ÷ 4

In 4 team group points ÷ 6

Whichever of Sheff and Scunny cant be best 2nd if Boro beat Ipswich in their last fixture

In the other group it is still possible for Glasgow or Worky to top the group and the other to better Boro average (although it may be September before that group is completed :lol:)

That's one way, but if you take points scored minus points against you get a totally different result over the 6/4 matches. so which is it, do you  know? because I don't.

A mini league with the 3 group winners to determine the champions would imo be a better option.

55 minutes ago, KN1 said:

A mini league with the 3 group winners to determine the champions would imo be a better option.

Sorry! You aren't allowed 'better options' even though they make total sense.

• Haha 3

On 04/05/2018 at 11:44 AM, archie21 said:

Can someone please explain how the 4th place team is selected. With having 2 groups of 4 teams and one of 3, the 2nd highest scoring team is awarded 4th place, ( so it says on the SGB Shield chart page ). What I would like to know is how this is calculated?  Is it an average points scored: most wins; etc or something else that no one knows until the top teams of the 3 groups are known??? 

I have been told (nothing written down) that’s its match points divided by matches played, which they have used for other non equal groups in previous competitions.

Personally I would have thought two groups (one of 5 and another of 6) would have been the obvious option with group winners playing the other group runners up to decide the finalists.

Or is that just too easy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

I have been told (nothing written down) that’s its match points divided by matches played, which they have used for other non equal groups in previous competitions.

Personally I would have thought two groups (one of 5 and another of 6) would have been the obvious option with group winners playing the other group runners up to decide the finalists.

Or is that just too easy.

This wouldve given a better balanced fixture list and also made the decision to use Shield meetings in the averages more credible