British Speedway Forum
Blackadder

Glasgow v Sheffield SGBCL 04/05/2018 @ 19.30

8 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Main talking point heat 14, what was that all about? 

Shambolic. Sarjeant should get a fine for that. It was him who came out in the wrong helmet colour then tried to share the same gate as JT. Not for the first time communication between referee and start marshall was non existent which added to the chaos, something we still havent solved after many years.

On a side note Sarjeant looked much more confident in the heat he appeared on a Worrall bike though has a frustrating habit of shaving off his speed coming out of turn four by over straightening rather than let the bike naturally run round.

9 minutes ago, MD said:

Shambolic. Sarjeant should get a fine for that. It was him who came out in the wrong helmet colour then tried to share the same gate as JT. Not for the first time communication between referee and start marshall was non existent which added to the chaos, something we still havent solved after many years.

On a side note Sarjeant looked much more confident in the heat he appeared on a Worrall bike though has a frustrating habit of shaving off his speed coming out of turn four by over straightening rather than let the bike naturally run round.

I would question why both riders were allowed to leave the pits with the same helmet colour rather than fine a rider, but I will agree with you it was shambolic (and just slightly comical).

Refereeing standards have dropped alarmingly though do none of these buffoons read the rule book oh wait silly me of course they don't.

2 minutes ago, Gazc said:

I would question why both riders were allowed to leave the pits with the same helmet colour rather than fine a rider, but I will agree with you it was shambolic (and just slightly comical).

I know, he should never have been allowed on track with the wrong colour but surely as a basic Sarjeant knows what gate he is going off when he departs the pits. Might be worth keeping some emergency helmet covers at the tapes in future!

9 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Refereeing standards have dropped alarmingly though do none of these buffoons read the rule book oh wait silly me of course they don't.

This is the 3 time this season I've heard of his happening, personally I don't understand why it's allowed to happen team managers surely tell the rider which gate they're going off or the rider has it marked in his programme , and finally they should check before they put the helmet on 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Yes shambolic but I'm not sure why your suggesting the referee had some part in this. Jack Thomas came out in correct blue helmet colour well on time and lined up at right gate, gate 2. Sarjeant came out late also with blue helmet colour. Someone runs across centre green, don't know who but wearing tigers colours so presumably a pit member of some sort and rips off jacks helmet cover and replaces it with a red one. al this with the clock ticking down to zero. Thomas wearing the red colour then gets told to move to gate 4 and sarjeant goes into gate 2. by now the 2minute clock has expired and the ref has no option to disqualify both as they had wrong helmet colours and in the wrong gate position. A pity jack is just a young lad as a more experienced rider would have told the guy changing his colour where to go. And to compound the farce Jack is the one that gets taken out of the race. So sarjeant makes mistake , pit staf make mistake in changing Jack's cover then team manager basically shafts jack. I hope the promotion/team manger/sarjeant or whoever compensates Jack because at least he would have earned something from the race by getting the third place point!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SharpenRake said:

Yes shambolic but I'm not sure why your suggesting the referee had some part in this. Jack Thomas came out in correct blue helmet colour well on time and lined up at right gate, gate 2. Sarjeant came out late also with blue helmet colour. Someone runs across centre green, don't know who but wearing tigers colours so presumably a pit member of some sort and rips off jacks helmet cover and replaces it with a red one. al this with the clock ticking down to zero. Thomas wearing the red colour then gets told to move to gate 4 and sarjeant goes into gate 2. by now the 2minute clock has expired and the ref has no option to disqualify both as they had wrong helmet colours and in the wrong gate position. A pity jack is just a young lad as a more experienced rider would have told the guy changing his colour where to go. And to compound the farce Jack is the one that gets taken out of the race. So sarjeant makes mistake , pit staf make mistake in changing Jack's cover then team manager basically shafts jack. I hope the promotion/team manger/sarjeant or whoever compensates Jack because at least he would have earned something from the race by getting the third place point!

It was more to do with pulling perfect starts back something we were told would be relaxed on.

Perfect example twice last night Richie and Claus, Richie made an absolute perfect start no movement just text book, upshot she pulls it back warns Richie for anticipating the start.

Now i may be missing something but i would have thought it was part of a riders job to anticipate the start,why bring in a rule if these clowns don't adhere to it.

Also hoping Paul Starke is ok was a real nasty one he took, Young Jack going for a gap that wasn't there and totally wiping Paul out no malice just inexperience.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 2

Thought the tapes were just a bit laggy last night, which contributed a bit to the start issue.

Also looked to me like Jack Thomas was rightly raging at being disqualified for the start mix up.

Ritchie was moving before the tapes went up from where I was sitting

7 hours ago, MD said:

Do they not have a walkie talkie? every one else seems to.

1 hour ago, MANSE said:

Ritchie was moving before the tapes went up from where I was sitting

Not from my vantage point he wasn't or maybe I just blinked at the wrong time , point I am making is there appears to be once again no consistency in the interpretation of the rules especially at the tapes.

the rules in speedway have always been a bit foggy, but the offside rule in footy is even more complicated !

in a match today , one player was pulled down in the pen area,, but because the ball was travelling AWAY from the goal. no foul was given .

robbie savage doin his nut in .lol.

Edited by jenga

10 hours ago, MD said:

Should a team manager not at least make sure his riders leave the pits with the correct helmet colours on ? Surely that's basic stuff . Do you think that would have happened during Stewart's tenure ? 

Thankfully the meeting was won at that point , but the lack of experience in the managerial capacity is a worry . 

The meeting was very entertaining , good to see Richie and Bomber back to form . Pleased for Chris after the crap aimed in his direction by fans of his other club this week . 

I think the only time the team manager would get involved with helmet colours would be tactical ride they all have a programme, maybe he should check they have fuel in their tank, tyres on their wheels. Sarjeant was at fault if he was replacing Starke and he should have been excluded

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

Should a team manager not at least make sure his riders leave the pits with the correct helmet colours on ? Surely that's basic stuff . Do you think that would have happened during Stewart's tenure ? 

Thankfully the meeting was won at that point , but the lack of experience in the managerial capacity is a worry . 

The meeting was very entertaining , good to see Richie and Bomber back to form . Pleased for Chris after the crap aimed in his direction by fans of his other club this week . 

Exactly what I thought especially when there has been a tactical switch that the Team Manager has made.

Surely if James is told he is replacing Paul he should check what gate he was in and helmet cover he should have all in his programme very simple

• Like 1