British Speedway Forum
Aces High

Belle Vue vs Wolves - Ko Cup - 7th May 18 12pm

I haven't yet had the opportunity to see the Belle Vue mascot 'Chase the Ace' in action but have seen some glowing reports from some members of the forum.

If it's increasing crowd participation and helping with the atmosphere, that's a step in the right direction.

Wolverhampton used to have Mr Wolf back in the day who was great.. unfortunately any attempts to replace him have fallen very flat indeed.

1 hour ago, Fred Flange said:

Thankfully that opinion is not shared by the majority of proper speedway fans.

The fact is Mondays meeting was significantly more meaningful once it was changed to the KO Cup fixture, and made the 24 point victory much more worthwhile than it would have been had it just been a league cup qualifier, as originally planned. No doubt the crowd was boosted not only by the bank holiday but the magic of the cup. I expect the league cup qualifiers will be down around 50% on Mondays crowd.

As for the KO Cup being Mickey mouse, you've not thought that through ((again, lol!) the idiots have taken the KO Cup format and used it to decide the league winners! 

Besides the final 2nd leg was significantly better than either of the league cup final legs, other than the hillarity of wolves losing the 'title' despite being eight points up, at home, with only a few races to go. Without the choke of the millennium (again, lol!) it really was a crappy advert for speedway wasn't it?

Despite the super well balanced team I predict another low crowd on the little home straight terrace in the return,  I doubt Adams will be moaning about crap support on the radio again though, ha ha!

Thankfully league tables don't lie,  an expected clueless retort. Ha ha!

14 hours ago, bellevueace said:

I think you are spot on with that assessment, if the entertainment served up not just on Monday does not tempt people through the turnstiles speedway has a real problem, having said that ive seen several polish meetings this season and overall the racing has been very processional but look at their crowds, doesn't add up to me.

The problem is as I’ve said before, people don’t like speedway. Belle Vue have tried everything under the sun over the last decade or so but to no avail. 

A nationwide promotional push might help but I can’t see it happening. 

If you need an indicator of how difficult it is to pull punters in just think of your circle of friends be it 20, 50, 100 or more, then try and coax them along and then see how many out of those that actually come, return on a regular basis. This is friends asking friends not just some ad in the paper so the chance of success are far greater. 

See how it goes and report back.  

I've taken many friends and acquaintances over the years, 30+ I'd say. Less than on one hand can I say those who went more than twice a season after that. 

It's gone beyond tell your friends and family. 

5 hours ago, stevebrum said:

I've taken many friends and acquaintances over the years, 30+ I'd say. Less than on one hand can I say those who went more than twice a season after that. 

It's gone beyond tell your friends and family. 

Well that's the Sport knackered then.....

Because "Hey, why dont all you fans bring a friend" appears to be the only 'marketing plan' of the past 25 years used...:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

Thankfully that opinion is not shared by the majority of proper speedway fans.

The fact is Mondays meeting was significantly more meaningful once it was changed to the KO Cup fixture, and made the 24 point victory much more worthwhile than it would have been had it just been a league cup qualifier, as originally planned. No doubt the crowd was boosted not only by the bank holiday but the magic of the cup. I expect the league cup qualifiers will be down around 50% on Mondays crowd.

As for the KO Cup being Mickey mouse, you've not thought that through ((again, lol!) the idiots have taken the KO Cup format and used it to decide the league winners! 

Besides the final 2nd leg was significantly better than either of the league cup final legs, other than the hillarity of wolves losing the 'title' despite being eight points up, at home, with only a few races to go. Without the choke of the millennium (again, lol!) it really was a crappy advert for speedway wasn't it?

Despite the super well balanced team I predict another low crowd on the little home straight terrace in the return,  I doubt Adams will be moaning about crap support on the radio again though, ha ha!

Ah that would be the final we had to compete without our best 2 riders and not allowed adequate replacements yet still only lost by 1 point on aggregate.

Choke of the millennium lol, you're having a laugh

3 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

Only you could bring up the league table in a thread about a KO Cup meeting, lol!

Only you could bring up us having a mediocre season after one KO Cup meeting, lol!

46 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

I'm having a laugh? 

You said it!!

Same as I was when Belle Vue choked and let Rory win the penultimate race of the playoff semi-final to defeat from the jaws of victory. The disbelief from the home fans was a joy to behold lol

Edited by Call me wolfie

That look was carried over from the refs blunder in Ht 13. It’s still there now. Unbelievable. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Same as I was when Belle Vue choked and let Rory win the penultimate race of the playoff semi-final to defeat from the jaws of victory. The disbelief from the home fans was a joy to behold lol

I am still shocked by that to be fair!

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

Only you could bring up us having a mediocre season after one KO Cup meeting, lol!

There's only you and and a very small minority of Wolves fans who think this season will be anything close to mediocre.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BWitcher said:

I haven't yet had the opportunity to see the Belle Vue mascot 'Chase the Ace' in action but have seen some glowing reports from some members of the forum.

If it's increasing crowd participation and helping with the atmosphere, that's a step in the right direction.

Wolverhampton used to have Mr Wolf back in the day who was great.. unfortunately any attempts to replace him have fallen very flat indeed.

He is absolutely extraordinary and a huge credit to himself, Belle Vue and speedway in general.

I suspect many, like me, view mascots with a mixture of indifference and embarrassment. They rarely do more than wander about waving.

This guy, though, does everything.  On Monday there was a break in racing between heats 14 & !5 due to a chap being taken ill. Chase led everyone in a sing song (Sweet Caroline) , did his incredible John Travolta Staying Alive dance and then attempted (sadly, unsuccessfully) to start a conga. He'd already got the Grandstand cheering and done a dance with the start marshal before and during the meeting (these can be viewed on the Belle Vue facebook page).

He is often the star of the show  :approve:

Throw in the ultra professional Neil Drummond (in my view, and with some pretty stiff competition, the best box man in the game)and Hayley Bromley - although I missed her 'Come on Manchester' chanting this time - and there is very little that other teams can teach Belle Vue about presentation. 

• Like 1

Sounds excellent HT.

Chase the Ace does indeed sound very much like a young Mr Wolf.

17 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Thankfully league tables don't lie,  an expected clueless retort. Ha ha!

let's see at the end of season :lol:

5 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

let's see at the end of season :lol:

Exactly. No one is mediocre at this stage of the season although Poole are doing a very good impression of one. :lol:

• Like 1