British Speedway Forum
Aces High

Belle Vue vs Wolves - Ko Cup - 7th May 18 12pm

2 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

So why bring it up then?

Brought up by Ivanhoe on page 8  to which I replied and you said I was the only one who thought we weren't. 

Forgetful again I see.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, stevebrum said:

I've taken many friends and acquaintances over the years, 30+ I'd say. Less than on one hand can I say those who went more than twice a season after that. 

It's gone beyond tell your friends and family. 

I don't think that's true, Steve. Isle of Wight's gates have increased season on season and that's largely through word of mouth about just how good the experience is.

And therein lies the problem. Unless it is a good experience - and, let's face it, frequently it isn't - they aren't going to come back. 

Get the product right - and this isn't just about what happens on track - and you might stand a chance.

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, BWitcher said:

You would have thought so... but, until Belle Vue are booming, it doesn't really hold water unfortunately.

Huge crowd for this meeting. That suggests that the reason Belle Vue isn't booming is start time and weather.

I think its fair to say that if all tracks had Belle Vue's quality of racing and presentation speedway would be attracting more fans than it does.

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Huge crowd for this meeting. That suggests that the reason Belle Vue isn't booming is start time and weather.

I think its fair to say that if all tracks had Belle Vue's quality of racing and presentation speedway would be attracting more fans than it does.

Maybe a bit controversial for some on here, but I do actually think that there is too much Speedway...

Bank Holidays tend to be frequented by many for whom that day is their only visits of the year...

And if you only attended on those days you would think Speedway was popular as you would always be part of a decent crowd....

Maybe Speedway should just go down the Stock Car route and run around 8 individual meetings per track per year, with effective marketing and promotion seperate for each event, on days that actually encourage crowds to attend (ie Weekends).

There simply isn't enough riders (or too many teams?) to keep churning out meeting after meeting, night after night, around the country. Hence many meetings become Mickey Mouse, contrived nonsense which actively dissuades attendance to a large contingent of the possible crowd, and does great damage to the Speedway 'brand'..

The bottom line is that if you cannot run ANY Team Sport with credibility or integrity to engage that emotional attachment from a support base, then you have pretty much no chance of ever being successful..

Speedway does though have that tremendously exciting spectacle of the racing which can be appreciated by many thousands when done well, so should maybe just sell that spectacle as a stand alone rather than a contrived team ethos?

Bank Holidays show the potential audience who know what Speedway is and where it takes place, with many no doubt being ex regulars...

They just don't want to go every week/fortnight..

Possibly less is actually more...?

Edited by mikebv

Lets see how many are at Belle Vue on monday when they are on tv against the best team in the league, or if there are many that have stayed away and are watching it on tv. 

Edited by A ORLOV

Looking at the other fixtures that night, if I couldn’t get to the NSS I’d stay home and watch the tele. 

No problem with the weather for Monday, bright & sunny, so should get a good crowd, if it wasn't on TV.

I for one hate going to live meetings when they are on TV.  TV being there ruins the experience, with all the contrived breaks for adverts etc. I do hope they leave the track prep to our track man, and not that bald bloke who used to ruin many a TV meeting with his idea of a good track. I would not mind if they never televised  Belle Vue home meetings.

Will be a close result.

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Lets see how many are at Belle Vue on monday when they are on tv against the best team in the league, or if there are many that have stayed away and are watching it on tv. 

crowd will be healthy for sure swindon have there own financial problems has reported by rosco and the fantasy new stadium not appearing from 3 years since the farewell meeting !! also couldn't afford to keep doyle this season !! let's see who is the best team around 9-30pm on monday night perhaps some swindon fans could make the journey up to swell the crowd ? 

2 hours ago, geoff58 said:

crowd will be healthy for sure swindon have there own financial problems has reported by rosco and the fantasy new stadium not appearing from 3 years since the farewell meeting !! also couldn't afford to keep doyle this season !! let's see who is the best team around 9-30pm on monday night perhaps some swindon fans could make the journey up to swell the crowd ? 

A statement that is mostly a load of rollocks

Edited by A ORLOV

9 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Bank Holiday meetings have always attracted huge crowds. One offs, just going out for the day etc.

Is it fair to say? Peterborough, Scunthorpe two other tracks that constantly get praised for their racing... hardly pack in the crowds though.

Peterborough did not so long back.. when they had a very good team.

Winning teams bring the crowds in more than the racing.. that's the case whether the sport is booming or in decline.

Edited to add: But both is better!

Edited by BWitcher

On 12/5/2018 at 5:58 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

I don't think that's true, Steve. Isle of Wight's gates have increased season on season and that's largely through word of mouth about just how good the experience is.

And therein lies the problem. Unless it is a good experience - and, let's face it, frequently it isn't - they aren't going to come back. 

Get the product right - and this isn't just about what happens on track - and you might stand a chance.

A good point.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, BWitcher said:

Bank Holiday meetings have always attracted huge crowds. One offs, just going out for the day etc.

Is it fair to say? Peterborough, Scunthorpe two other tracks that constantly get praised for their racing... hardly pack in the crowds though.

Peterborough did not so long back.. when they had a very good team.

Winning teams bring the crowds in more than the racing.. that's the case whether the sport is booming or in decline.

Edited to add: But both is better!

You're right about bank holidays but the contrast between that attendance and last night's is a stark one. Its possible that there were 5 times as many people against Wolverhampton, suggesting that the day meetings are held has a huge impact on gates.

Personally, Monday nights are bad for me simply due to the fact that I work the following day and need to wake up at 5am. Its not that far away, but given the propensity for motorway diversions its simply too late.

Fridays, and given the stunning racing, I'd be buying a season ticket (as would Mr Tatum if he lived locally).

You're also right about winning teams but what you have to consider is what the attendances at Scunthorpe(in particular) would be if the racing was rubbish. Based upon personal experience in past seasons (first meeting there this yearfor me on Friday) I'd have a guess that half the crowd are Scunny fans and the other half are there for the quality of the speedway.